S&W M&P or SA XD 9mm continued

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by mudflap91, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mudflap91

mudflap91 Guest

I went to a local gun shop with the intentions of buying a M&P 9mm. They didn't have the gun I was looking for and said it would be a week or so before they would have one in. I was looking to buy then so I could take advantage of the rebate (I had no idea at the time that they were going to extend the rebate). I was up front with the guy at the counter. I told him that I was going to try Academy. If they didn't have what I was looking for, then I would be back and buy from him regardless of rebate. He let out a angry sigh then acted like I owed it to him to buy his gun. I was there maybe 5 minutes. Oh well. He lost that sale and any future sales from me.

Anyway,I went to Academy. I held both guns and they both felt great. I was having a really hard time trying to decide. Price was close-M&P was $529 and the XD was $499. With the rebate and the two extra mags the M&P would have been close to $425-450 all said and done. The XD comes with 2 mags, holster, mag loader, and cable lock.

The sales guy went to the gun safe and pulled both gun cases with the new guns (not the display models). I inspected the M&P then the XD. The XD looked different than the display. It was a sub-compact model. I didn't think I was going to like it but I was wrong. It felt better than either of the others. Not sure why.

Decision time..Either gun felt great. The feature that set the deal was the external safety on the XD. Although I never intend on the gun being used without my permission, the grip safety is one more guard against unintenional firing.

I get to pick it up on Tuesday and will post pics as soon as I can. In the course of less than a month, I have gone from a non gun owner to a 2 gun owner. I am sure there will be many more including some variety of Hi-Point.

Scott

2. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

You have chosen well. You will not be disapointed

3. I am sure you will be very pleased with the XD, most people love them. Then again most people love the M&P also, so it would be a toss up as to which pistol is the better of the two.

4. Have you held the M&P compact???? That will make your decision harder yet lol....

I dont think you can go wrong with the 2 pistols you are looking at.......

5. mudflap91

mudflap91 Guest

No, I haven't held the M&P compact. Academy wasn't even displaying the compact. Just happened to be the case he brought from the gun locker.

Scott

6. Good choice, and I have ran into gun dealers that act like you owe them and should buy a 400-500 dollar gun just because they showed it to you. It seems like they'd know that when they act like that your not gonna buy anything from them. Its not like buying a gun is a easy decision it can take a person months or a year even to save up for a new gun. Maybe those type of people should be selling used cars not firearms lol

7. This is kind of shocking to me. I am always going to the local gun shops and just look and handle various guns with no intention of buying (I always tell them I am just looking). Now if they are busy I don't ask to see any but many times I go later at night and the counter people are more then happy to talk about and show various firearms.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Yeah, at my local gun store, even though I'm underage they will gladly talk to me and show me firearms, because they know I have every intention of buying multiple firearms from them when I turn 18, and my brother in law is a good customer of theirs.