S&W M&P Sport - $539

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bigjohn56, Aug 6, 2015.

1. bigjohn56

bigjohn56 Member

GunBuyer.com has the S&W M&P Sport on sale for $539.

Shipping is free and there is no credit card surcharge.

Moreover, you get a free Caldwell AR-15 mag charger via rebate. These sell on Amazon for $50.

The gun does not have a forward assist nor does it have a dust cover if either of those things matter to you.

My FFL charges $15 so the price net to me is $545 after my credit card rewards.

To me, this is a decent gun at a good price. You can get cheaper ARs but I think the S&W is a better gun and will have better resale.

JMHO/YMMV

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Since most people will spend several hundred $$$ re-dressing their AR anyways. Might as well start at the bottom?

3. abyssinmeoff

abyssinmeoff Member

I have over 3000 rounds of tula through my M&P sport. 0 malfunctions. I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable one here, but I think it's a great deal.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Bottom Dollar PRICE, but far from a bottom value!
    I have seen many people say the value is right up there with the high-dollar stuff!
    Your theory is sound, Melvin, but this is a great base! Much better than most
    cheaper AR setups. My #1 LGS says they are very good. Most S&W stuff is
    First Rate!
    Just like Jerry Miculek, I'm a Smith & Wesson Man! :D

5. bigjohn56

bigjohn56 Member

Magpul pmag m2 moe

Picked up a ten pack of these gen 2 mags in olive drab green for $84.99 plus $12.54 shipping from www.surplusammo.com.

Comes to $9.75 each. Seemed pretty decent and within reason I don't care what color they are.

Now we need cheaper ammo!

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This is what I own. Good price. Better than I paid and I paid under MSRP at the time.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The quality is excellent.

They threw in some unexpected touches. The fit and finish are really surprisingly great for an "entry level" rifle. The gas key and carrier are chromed. The barrel is melonited.

I read a bunch of reviews and talked to friends before I bought one and I was still surprised at how nice it was.

The did "cut corners" on a few things, however.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

All the expert advice and the reviews I read agreed that the the dust cover wasn't all that necessary, particularly here in the U.S., and especially with the way that most of us (me included) store and use the firearm. They also all agreed that most users actually misuse the forward assist, pointing out that the original AR design lacked this feature. You were supposed to just use your thumb.

That said, no way you're getting either of these features without a significant component upgrade.

The adjustable stock is nice. They definitely cut corners on the barrel shroud. It's practically made from recycled barbie dolls (just the legs, to keep it sexy). I wasn't going to replace mine because I just don't see shooting enough fast strings for it to make a difference with the cheap, thin, shroud. But a good buddy gifted me a better one so, what the hey. :)

The flipup sights are good too. Surprisingly so.

Outside of the shroud and a red/green crosshair lighted scope, I've made no customizations and, frankly, don't see much need to.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

since i bought the sport locally for $549 I have been pretty happy with it but the mag charger rebate excludes the sport models.

Kirk is right every piece of furniture is bargain basement level but we're probably changing that stuff out anyhow.

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i stand corrected the article i read stated no sport models but their website declares the sport aso gets the mag charger.

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I like the M&P Sport, but my LGS has the DPMS Oracle for $539. It has the dust cover and forward assist, but no sights. The barrel is medium weight and the fit and finish is very good. I added NCStar folding irons ($40) and a Strikefire 2 red/green dot to it. Total price $801.57.

So far with a steady diet of Tula Steel 55gr HP there have been no issues.

I am going to change out the fore grip to an MOE and add a 2 point sling in the near future.

Just goes to show there are still ways to get good firearms for a good price.

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Is that it, Kirk?
    Easy enough to fix those... ;)

+1 PLANO! My gunny-neighbor put one in lay-a-way at Rural King, it was only $489 for the Oracle, killer deal! I almost did that too, but 2½ ARs is plenty for one Mole ;) I can buy a stripped lower someday (maybe even an 80%) and make a third AR with spare parts, plus a trigger group and BCG...

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The forearm? Yeah, easy fix. The sights are good but basic. Easy fix.

The lack of a forward assist, lack of a dustcover, and an integrated (non-pinned) trigger guard? Not really. Need a new lower and some extra parts. But why?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I am seriously considering picking up the 7.62×51 DPMS from the same LGS. $855 otd. That will allow me to eventually get the 6.5 Creedmoor upper also. Saving my pennies now.

15. lsi1

lsi1 Member

rebate form submitted. Thank you everyone for making me check the source.