S&W SD9VE cleaning question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Jul 15, 2014.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

i've got about 200 rds thru my SD9 and field stripped the Handgun to clean it and it wasn't all that dirty but went ahead and gave it a thorough cleaning . Now after reading the owners manual it states just to field strip it and no mention of pulling the firing pin to clean it and again saying just field stripping as mentioned is all that is required

now my question is to other owners of this handgun are you guys pulling the firing pin to clean the firing pin ,spring and channel or not . When i cleaned it i did use a aerosol gun scrubber and did spray in /around the firing pin hole at the breach but not sure that helped any

2. mawguy

mawguy Sheep Dog Member

I have the SW40VE which is the "hated" Sigma version. To be clear, I LOVE MINE. The only time I pulled the firing pin was on my first cleaning to make sure that it wasn't loaded with factory grease. Once I was satisfied that it was clean, I put it back together and have only done field strip cleaning.

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I have the SD9VE and I only field strip according to the owners manual and the videos iv'e seen on the internet. It is the stainless bi-tone like yours and it is super easy to clean. The only issue I have had with mine is the front sight seems to be a little off from the factory. I just need to get it over to the smithy and have him sight it in. I'm not paying $200.00 for a sight pusher that I will only use once or twice. I will leave that to the professionals. I tried to tap it with a punch, but I don't want to damage the finish.

4. If the SW is like Glock and has a plastic striker liner then do not oil the striker. I usually do not clean the FP and spring on my 1911, just add a drop of oil about once a year. If the gun gets wet, then I break it down completely to clean and dry out.

5. I use a foaming cleaner on my Sigma, then a Q tip to get any gunk out. That aside from normal field stripping and cleaning the barrel. Some oil where the slide touches the metal of the frame. Drip dry the foaming cleaner. Been doing this through thousands of rounds in it. Never pulled the firing pin.

What you did will work fine.

6. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

thanks guys i appreciate it !!!!:D