S&W Shield

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by tallbump, Oct 9, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, I got the Shield last night.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/915_801/products_id/82836/Lady+Buds/Guns+for+the+Ladies

Paid $340 for it, much cheaper than I could find it locally even after the transfer fee

Mine has the manual safety, but no magazine disconnect safety, which is fine with me.

Comes with one 8 round extended mag, and one 7 round flush mag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love it so far. Trigger (dry fire) isn't great but not bad.

I have already put the Pierce mag grip extension on the 7 rounder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few pics to show how that mag compares to the 8 rounder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for some comparison pics for the C9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lsi1

lsi1 Member

paul carlson from safety solutions accademy in oh has a product for the 8 round mag that replaves the factory grip spacer that doesn't move around on the magazine body and prevents you from overinserting it which according to him can bend the extractor. its called the plan b.

3. Gee, the Shield looks anorexic next to the C9 in that third to last picture. ;)

4. A friend of mine has one and his only complaint is it kicks like a mule. Should cc nicely.

5. I've been tempted to get one, but so far I've resisted. Despite my "anorexic" comment, I like the size of them.

6. tallbump

I got it for the size and weight. It's pretty much the same overall size as the C9, but dramatically thinner. And I believe it's about 2/3 the weight.

Eventually I am going to throw it and the C9 on the wife's postage scale to see

I did a field strip this morning, just to know how

[​IMG]

Very easy. Never did one on the C9. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can give it a clean and lube

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    [​IMG]

COOL!
    What did you do, TB??? Sell a Kidney? ;)

Nice Piece![​IMG]

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    According to the FBI on the TV show Bones, the Shield is a "Professionals" Gun, apparently the character Seeley Booth carries one. Except that he never carried one in previous shows, according to the Internet gun database.:rolleyes:

Should be a good gun for you!:)

9. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

2/3 lighter.... will have a much snappier/harder recoil. Probably will also be harder/slower to re-acquisition target. Small light-weight semi-autos are just too hard to hold on to when shooting. Prediction: will not be a fun 'range' gun. :p

10. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The Shield is a fine gun. I traded my Shield 40 because of the recoil, but plan on replacing it with the Shield 9.

11. tallbump

Not worried about a range toy. Considering I shot my C9 once this entire year, maybe. That' might have been last year accidentally. :eek:

But I carry EVERYDAY, so weight was an issue. I will shoot the Shield enough to be comfortable with it, but that's probably about it.

If circumstances change and I get to shoot more, I'll worry about a range toy then. I do love pistol shooting, but I just never get the chance to do it

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I do not think you will find the 9 mm version to be bad in the recoil dept. My 40 was pretty snappy, that's why I traded it. I rented the 9 version to check it out and intended to trade for one, but talked myself into a Kahr CW45 instead. Still might get the 9 shield.

13. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i haven't shot the shield but i have 2 close friends who have them and they both like them a lot.

I am going to replave my lcp with a single stack 9mm one of these days thinking long and hard about shield or lc9spro.

Tall is a pretty big guy with pretty large hands if he learns good grip and stance the shield will make a fine sd and range gun. I suspect his range trips as being a box or less of ammo anyhow don't think that recoil fatigue will be that much of a factor.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

One thing about the Shield9. Mine shoots allover the place if I stick my finger all the way in. If I fire with the last joint it is very accurate. Others with smaller hands had the same problem, and had the same cure.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

BTW asked my LGS and he hasn't heard anything about a RSA recall. I told him the RSA's are on backorder. He said if that was the case then he won't hear about it until they have plenty on hand. :confused:

16. tallbump

A few more pics

Got the shell for the Alien Gear holster. Very pleased with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison of the 2 shells

[​IMG]

I thought this was pretty interesting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

Empty or loaded weight? Where's the 10rd battery pack? :D

18. tallbump

That's empty weight. I have the 10 round mag on the C9....looks like a bargain cordless drill to me

That was with empty chambers and 8 round mags for both firearms

I ain't know scientist, but pretty fully loaded with the same ammo, the weight difference should stay the same :D