Sad day for our range

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by moona11, Jun 25, 2015.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

July 1st our local range will be closed by the US Army corps due to assists shooting over the brum and hitting a farmers shed a half mile away. Now the closest range will be 40 miles away. Anyone caught on the land will be fined. This sucks ass. I talked to Evils ex today and he said we could use his land to shoot anytime. Buying that boy a big ass steak.

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Are they closing it for good or closing it to increase the berm height?
    Sucks they close it either way, but at least you have somewhere else to shoot.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have lived on or next to the same farm land for almost 50 years. I have always been able to fire at will, anytime day or night. But the farm next to us has recently been sold & a retirement home is being built. The owner of the retirement center has told me personally that our ability to shoot our guns is OK with her. But she has told us several other things that have not been true. So, I am waiting on the hammer to fall on our family firing range as well? My Grandfather bought this farm in 1945. My Grandpa, my Dad & his 4 sons, & my 3 sons have hunted & target practiced on this land for over 70 years, BUT, the times are a changing!!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. moona11

As of right now the board members don't know what to do. Its a private range but open to the public the corp sold the land but still controls it. The berm is already 40 ft. But that didn't stop them from shooting over it. So I don't know yet. Me and Evil joined the club this year need to go to the next meeting to find out. All the local LEOs used it to that also stops. We still have the LEO pistol range in town but that's only 25 yards. :'(

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Who the hell manages to shoot over a 40 berm?...... Must be those black panthers who are coming after us....

6. moona11

Nope they are not allowed in ND. Just some asshats being dipsh!ts. I think they should close the range to the public. Was getting tired of picking up TV's and crap. To join its $20 a year so make em join to use it.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Rippy sighting in his mosin.

8. People with AR pistols probabky.

9. moona11

It wasn't me

Attached Files:

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    These guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It was probably some knucklehead rapid-firing without any control. Idiots love to spray rounds without discipline. I guess that they don't realize that dumping a magazine does no good if the rounds don't hit anything--except for some farmer's shed 40 miles away.

12. It costs money But i have noticed a big trend in new shooting ranges to have "baffels" installed

I dont really know how to describe them, but here is a forum with a bunch of 3d renderings on how there range will look with them.
    http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42872
    Keeps stuff from going over the top quite well i imagine.

13. histed

histed Supporting Member

My range is now $25/year. No membership or not a guest (one per member) - get the h^ll out! Much nicer now. Love to have you both there, but PA is a little far to travel.
    So they never learned "My rifle and myself know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…"? Silly me - thought that was required learning :eek:

14. My range costs 150.00 your first year....75.00 per year after that. We are not allowed guests except for spouse and offspring. I have neither so I usually go alone. Sometimes my GF and I pretend to be married so she can shoot...;)

It gets boring because of the "paper targets" only rule. But there are no range officers and its some place to go.

15. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

Our club put up baffles up over the range. To do so, they had to extend the shelter roof forward of the firing line so there would be a place to hang the baffles. The extended shelter roof wasn't even up two effing days before some @ssclown put a round through it. About a 45* angle up from the line, so I'm pretty sure that round left the property.

By the time the 1st baffles could be hung two weeks later, there were 2 more holes in the roof, and 2 dents in the steel side posts from errant shots.

Anyone who can't reasonably control their firearms needs to GTFO. Those are the jackwagons who screw it up for everyone else. If just one of them puts a round into a house or barn down range, our club WILL be shut down. That's ~250 members and their families who will be SOL.

16. moona11

I was at Evils ex today and shoot there. He said let's move a shed over here and we can shoot year round. Its nice of him to do that. So glad we all get along.

17. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    I have it easier than most. I can shoot in my backyard anytime I want. This picture was taken from my back porch with a cellphone camera. I have never been on a regular shooting range. Lol.

Attached Files:

18. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Our Sportsman's Club is trying to figure out how to afford to pay for a fence around our range (100 yrd). We get so many non-members coming in and trashing the place. We're also worried one of them will get hurt and try to sue the club.

19. Fracman

Fracman Member

I have been wondering when the corp is going to shut the one down in williston. I assume they leave it open so there is only one mess to clean up instead of 100. All these guys that are up here from other state don't care about what mess they make.

20. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The only time I have shot at a commercial range, was when I took my CCW class. They scare me!!!