Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've never thought of it before. Is it safe to cycle live ammo in a C-9 to see how well a certain ammo will feed? I've done it with snap-caps, but wondered about live. Seems it might be OK since it's cycled to clear the chamber. Thanks!

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've never thought of it before. Is it safe to cycle live ammo in a C-9 to see how well a certain ammo will feed? I've done it with snap-caps, but wondered about live. Seems it might be OK since it's cycled to clear the chamber. Thanks!
if i were going to do it, i'd make sure its pointed at something that is ok to shoot, like a barrel of sand...

·
Banned
453 Posts
The fireing pin doubles as an extractor. Cycleing live rounds is a little more dangerous with a basic raven style design like the hi-point. You will also notice that ejection will not be as positive with a live round due to the weight. Get some dummy rounds. Negligent discharges are not worth the risk. Scary stuff.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
The fireing pin doubles as an extractor. Cycleing live rounds is a little more dangerous with a basic raven style design like the hi-point. You will also notice that ejection will not be as positive with a live round due to the weight. Get some dummy rounds. Negligent discharges are not worth the risk. Scary stuff.
i dont think that ejection is as important as finding out if the live rounds will load from the magazine into the chamber smoothly

but i really think that if you have the weapon pointed in a safe direction, you'll be alright. I wouldn't do it indoors, and i'd watch your hand, in case the round went off, you wouldnt want your hand caught somewhere in the action

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO !!!!! I was doin this with my C-9 and got very nervous when I saw how much of a scratch the pin was putting on the primer. Not enough to make it go off, but WAY to close for my comfort/ liability level. Im investing in some snap caps TODAY.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
A gun is never safe and a loaded gun is dangerous. Like the puzzled Russian said when asked if the AK was safe, "Is Gun".

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
PANZO77 You out there, What is the guys name that makes those dummy 9mm?????

Hey guys, I bought some and they work great and are ONLY $.50 each. That's right ! I will try to find the info again and pass it on. Sorry, but hopefully Panzo in online soon.........

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the resposes! Guess I'll have to wait till I can get to a range to find out if the ammo cylces. Kind of difficult to get to a range here in Ill-annoys ^-^

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I don't think cycling by hand will tell you if that ammo will feed or not..the Hi Point design depends on the fired round cycling the action what might not feed properly by hand may work fine under live fire if I'm not mistaken. Anyone with more experience confirm me here?

·
Banned
453 Posts
the case needs to be fired in order to have proper ejection. An unfired round will be heavier and the ejection is not as positive. Also.....because the fireing pin serves as the extractor the firein pin must be released from the sear in order for ejection to occur. You can check for feeding though. Its just that the roud will be stuck under the extractor and a double feed will occur.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
again, i'm pretty sure the original poster was looking to cycle live ammo by hand to be sure that his rounds would feed from the mag into the chamber, not that the shells would eject properly. i have done this as well with my 995 (which is only marginally safer because i can grip the charging handle instead of the slide) to check for the same thing with JHP rounds which have failed to feed properly in the past for me.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I don't think cycling by hand will tell you if that ammo will feed or not..the Hi Point design depends on the fired round cycling the action what might not feed properly by hand may work fine under live fire if I'm not mistaken. Anyone with more experience confirm me here?
i would sure like to know too.....

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I guess thats what worries me is the firing pin when cycling live rounds and the possibility of double feeds etc. I don't think snap caps etc will help the OP as he wants to see if certain ammo feeds right, and while you can cycle by hand it seems with this design live fire is the only way to be sure....and the thought of cycling live rounds of whatever especially fmj just doesn't seem like risk equals reward..too much can go wrong. But each person makes there own call, however OP says can't get to the range so need to be sure of safe direction for a LONG way.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
what I am going to say on this subject will most likely be disputed. However here goes.

Hand cycleling ammo will tell you little to nothing about how that ammo will perform in a live fire scenario... not to mention the dangers involved.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not going to say it's safe...but I've done it. :devilsidesmile:

I'd say if you are going to do it, point it in a safe direction and take it slow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.