Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my C9 and I understand that it is designed like many other handguns. However, on my Beretta Neos U22, the safety stays engaged while the slide is being moved to chamber the first round. I wish the C9 has a two position safety, position one would simply lock the shear (but not the slide). As it is now I must keep the safety dis-engaged until the chamber is loaded (then as is my habit, I engage it until I am ready to fire).

The main reason for this is that we often take novice shooters to the range and give them their first hands on experience firing a semi-auto pistol. I would be much more comfortable if the gun did not go immediately into Battery upon engagement of the slide.

Again, I have guns that do operate this way and, especially when "helping" a new shooter learn, I really like the shear staying locked. It could be the same safety, but just with two positions?

G

·
I would have to say no on this: its a blowback delayed weapon: meaning when the sear is tripped by the trigger, and the pin strikes the cartridge: boom happens. It is how it was made, from the get go.

Now look at all the fantastical submachine guns, that were blowback related: Sten gun, Sterling gun, Thompson...: All were blowback related (and I could think of more)

Now its late, and I am not sure by which "Sub Gun" had this same particular arrangement: it works.

And, on that note of how some pistols are kept on safe even when the slide battery has been lent forth to chamber: My 1911 does not do that, nor the Norinco Tokerov knock off do that: After its in battery (meaning a round is chambered, or hammer has been cocked) for the safety to be engaged.
For my 1911: the safety CAN be engaged no matter what position the hammer is in. Tokerov knockoff...have to check. OK: just did: does not matter as well (separate safety for the trigger bar to engage: safety blocks it)

If this sounds confusing, I will try to reiterate later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really like my C9 and I understand that it is designed like many other handguns. However, on my Beretta Neos U22, the safety stays engaged while the slide is being moved to chamber the first round. I wish the C9 has a two position safety, position one would simply lock the shear (but not the slide). As it is now I must keep the safety dis-engaged until the chamber is loaded (then as is my habit, I engage it until I am ready to fire).

The main reason for this is that we often take novice shooters to the range and give them their first hands on experience firing a semi-auto pistol. I would be much more comfortable if the gun did not go immediately into Battery upon engagement of the slide.

Again, I have guns that do operate this way and, especially when "helping" a new shooter learn, I really like the shear staying locked. It could be the same safety, but just with two positions?
Yes it is doable. Quite easily in fact. The Safety is essentially a circle with a handle and a notch that allows the sear to drop when it is rotated to the fire position. under the handle there is a small plastic bump that gives the click feel to engaging / disengaging the safety. If you were to make a new grip piece with a second bump and make a new safety/slide lock piece with the notch about 30 degrees clockwise you would have a three position safety/slide lock mechanism.

That said, I recommend that you teach trigger discipline with airsoft pistols if you are that worried about novices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.