Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting the Saiga but I am torn as to which caliber. I just can't decide which is the better choice considering ammo price, availability, accuracy, and the fun factor. I'd like to be able to shoot it as much as my 995B! Eager to hear your comments! Bulldog

·
Registered
557 Posts
I vote for the .223 because I already have a 7.62X39 shooter (WASR 10)-- either way, you can't go wrong.

I wonder though, does the Saiga have a true .223 chamber or is it a 5.56 marked as a .223--

Either way though, you are getting a quality rifle..

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would go with x39 do the conversion and you are in AK land where mags and accesories grow on trees and one day when everyone stops acting retarded the ammo is cheaper

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
They're all good choices, and I'd say go with the one you can get ammo for cheapest and easiest.

But, for myself, when I bought a Saiga, I went .308 and I've never regretted it.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I would go with x39 do the conversion and you are in AK land where mags and accesories grow on trees and one day when everyone stops acting retarded the ammo is cheaper
Didn't a lot of the cheap ammo come from Russia? Wasn't the import of Russian ammo was ban when the Russians went into Georgia?

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have a 7.62x39 and love it but would like the knock down power of the .308 though the cost would go way up on ammo. one of the nice things with the 7.62x39 sagia is with a little modification to a ak47 mag it will work well in the saga and a 30 rd mag really turn up the "fun factor" i have kept my saiga in the stock configuration with it i figure the less "intimidating looks" may be a asset in the future with they way politics are moving but that is another topic all together.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i have a 7.62x39 and love it but would like the knock down power of the .308 though the cost would go way up on ammo. one of the nice things with the 7.62x39 sagia is with a little modification to a ak47 mag it will work well in the saga and a 30 rd mag really turn up the "fun factor" i have kept my saiga in the stock configuration with it i figure the less "intimidating looks" may be a asset in the future with they way politics are moving but that is another topic all together.
Sorry to say that if it comes to taking weapons we already have, the AWB-Antis won't stop just because it "looks sportinglike"--

The Saigas will be axed too--

8*(

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Tough call OP, you will not be able to shoot any of these for the cost of 9mm. Nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 round at all just a different philosophy, money an issue then Saiga 7.62x39 is fine, SKS may be better. Money no issue then 223 or the 308 but I wouldn't go Saiga for that, go with something designed from the ground up for the round. AR variant for 223, Springfield M1 for 308 is a better plan IMHO, especially the 223 that largely depends on shot placement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.