Saiga 7.62x39 vs. WASR-10

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 4095fanatic, Feb 12, 2008.

SAIGA OR WASR

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Saiga 7.62x39

100.0%
  2. WASR-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WASR-10 is only going to cost me about $50 more... worth it? Saiga comes with the black furniture, the WASR in the natural.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

WASR is mainly put together here in the states. They have been known for some QC problems. I know folks will pop in saying they have not had a lick of trouble with theirs and they shoot right on the mark. I am glad of that but the history of QC problems is still there.

With the Saiga you get an all Russian built AK for me that is saying something. There are many stocks and other goodies that fit the Saiga too.

3. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

i would vote you dont have an option for Both.

i think either would be a good choice. never handled a saiga though. Every WASR ive handled was nice and I am completely happy w/ my SARs.

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Don't pay $50 more for a WASR 10. Take the $50 and put it toward doing an AK conversion on the Saiga!

5. elguapo

elguapo Guest

What he said!!!!
    And yes, I just bought a Saiga saturday night.

6. I heard about the same QC problems before I bought my WASR, but after all the buts and bads the final saying was "it's a AK and it will shoot and can be abused to beat the band. So I rented one. All the things that were said were in that gun; bent sight, mag well not cut out, bad trigger group, etc. OK I look at a new one and guess what; Tapco trigger group, mag well is finished correctly, the sight and the gas tube are straight. All of the problems were fixed! I bought it and haven't looked back. The biggest problem I have is keeping fed. Mine is fun to shoot.

I was shooting my WASR a few weeks ago and a a new person to the range showed up with a Saiga with a 5 round and a 30 round mags. Well his 30 rounder would not fit in the gun, so I said he could use one of mine. Mine would not fit ether, in fact none of the 10 mags I had would not fit his Saiga. I thought Saiga's used different style mags but his 5 round mag looks just like my 5 rounder. I hope that was just his gun.
    He also had a Hi-point .40SW and that shot so sweeeeet, makes me want to get one (I feel my Hi-pointitis coming back).

7. I own a Saiga in 7.62x39 and I think you will have to decide what you're really after. The only difference is the furniture. Every thing else is the same. I got my Saiga for 295 NIB. Is the WASR10 new?? Import? Surplus? Maybe you should get one of each. I've already got a second Saiga on layaway if that tells you anything. I'm also going to buy 2 AK's this summer. This isn't helping much is it?? :roll: 8)

8. I like the "evil black tac" look... so far, due to the black stock and the $50 cheaper price I'm going with the Saiga.

9. mattk

mattk Guest

i have owned the wasr-10 and was happy with it. however mine was not as accurate as i felt it could have been. i have never shot a saiga but have heard that they are quite accurate. maybe i had a bad rifle as i am usually a good shot. ak's shure have a nice look and feel to them though. if you dont mind the extra length, an sks is quite accurate and much cheaper. lots of cool aftermarket stuff for them too.

10. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Well, I just bought the Saiga .223 - but I haven't shot it yet :)
    Just in handling it though I would say go with the Saiga. But, like I said, since I haven't actually shot it yet I was reluctant to answer - so take or leave this post :)

+1 to Uraijit though :)

11. I've had 10 AK's...two of them WASR's...they are bottom of the barrel AK wise....get the Saiga.

12. The only thing about the Saiga is that you have to either modify the Saiga to take AK mags, or modify the Mags to fit the Saiga. The thing about the Saiga mags is that they are expensive for the poly ones, AK mags are cheaper... Just my $0.02, but it doesn't matter really which one you get. There are pro's and cons to both. Personally, it all depends on what look you're going for, evil black tacti-cool or the all natural wood furniture of the WASR. I like my WASR, but I would LOVE to have a Saiga... I will eventually have one, but not anytime in the next few months.

13. duker_sponk

duker_sponk Guest

I vote for buying one of each. I have a Saiga..not in 7.62x39 but still pretty fun either way.

14. It seems to me like the Saigas, although nice weapons, have a fire control group with more moving parts than your average AK when you count from the trigger to the hammer.

This means more things that can go wrong, and if in the future weapons parts become harder to get, this may be a problem.

15. urotu

urotu Member

I've handled botn guns quite a bit and own a Saiga, so that's where my vote goes. It's a better built gun, better built than most AK's I've handled, which include a few WASR's and a Maadi. I've had the experience of shooting those, and teh Saiga was a better built gun hands down.

I don't want to take anything away from those other guns, they were great guns to, but in terms of which seemed to be better built, more accurate, and overall quality, the Saiga beat them all.

I also have to add that x39 has taken all the import mags I can feed it without modification to the mag or the gun. I have an early model, a 1998 if I remember right. I have a couple Romy surplus 30 rd and a couple Hungarian. I also have a number of 10 rd metal mags from god knows where and they all work just fine too.

I have to admit, they don't like to feed hollow-points, but I prefer the FMJ in my rifles anyway.

So there's my vote, Saiga all the way. If you want a real Rusky AK, right from Ivan's hands, go with the Saiga.

16. Saiga all the way.

You get a great all russian built base that you can make an awesome Russian clone out of but the WASR is just a basic cheap ak.

They are both good, but I much prefer the real Russian Saiga after its been converted.

17. elguapo

elguapo Guest

^^^^My Man!^^^^

18. Just get a milled Bulgarian and be done with the AK search ;)

[​IMG]

19. urotu

urotu Member

Oh how I wish I had a milled AK, man I am jealous now.

That is one sweet rifle you got there Joe, if it ever needs a good home, keep me in mind :D

20. Ari

Ari Guest

What did that run? $800? It is sure nice looking