Saiga ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by azhipoint, Jan 27, 2008.

1. azhipoint

azhipoint Member

Hi all
    I could ask this on the Siaga 12 forum but i tend to trust the advice I have gotten here, no offence to the Saiga boards for they also have good people there.

I own a x39 saiga have had it for 7 8 months over 800 rounds fired and love the gun not a hicup at all.
    as some of you know I have been in the market for a .308 for some time now and I am leaning towards the Saiga anyone on this forum own one ?

Now for the main ? when I received my 7.62x39 my proof papers came back @ 91mm at 100 meters :) this number I believe is a dam good group for an AK type gun. within two weeks two of my friends also ordered from the same dealer and the proof came back @ 105mm and 115mm for their x39's.
    if you all dont mind could you post you proof numbers that came with your guns so I can get a feel for the average. No debate or ( I can hit the nail on the head at 500m :wink: ) just the facts..... or should I say Proofs

Thanks guy's and Gals

2. What does the proof numbers mean? I have never heard it called this before.

3. griff30

griff30 Member

proof numbers ?

4. Kagern

Kagern Guest

About a year ago I was looking at a Saiga .308 at the local shop. The owner (whom I trust) actually turned me away from it. After he got it (Cool-New-Stuff) he started talking to folks and found that NONE of the aftermarket magazines for them worked worth 2 cents. The only mags that worked were the factory 8rd, and at the time you could NOT buy them. So basically you had the two that came with it, and that was it.

I have searched around now and there seem to be a number of high-cap mags out there now. I would try and find some Saiga people that can tell you whether or not any of them work now before getting it, unless you are happy with 8rds.

5. azhipoint

azhipoint Member

Proof numbers for the lack of a better term.
    Before the gun leaves the factory they lock the gun down and shoot a 3 or 5 shot group and measure the spread and if they fall within speck it's good to go. The paper work comes with the gun and shows date gun made and inspection date.

Kagern
    I hear what you are saying about the Mag's they are out there just costly.

6. uncle jerky

uncle jerky Well-Known Member

7. griff30

griff30 Member

8 rounds that arent torn up like in a CETME, yeah I'll buy that.
    There is a well tested 20 round mag from Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns http://www.fbmginc.com/index.php?pa...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 I have really been hoping that is a good piece and good mag.