Samurai sword or 995TS, or both?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by HiPointArmorer, Apr 21, 2014.

1. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Recently acquired a Samurai Sword (Highlander Movie Sword) in excellent condition and has been sharpened for $20. I've been keeping it next to my bedroom door and couldn't help but question if I heard an intruder messing with my door, would I grab the 995 ou of the closet or just go for the Samarui sword. Im thinking the 995 but any thoughts of this, for sword guys.

[​IMG]

2. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Next torture test, 995TS stock vs Samurai sword.:D

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Go for the gun.....

4. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    An excellent example would the the mom from Detroit, she went straight past the broom and grabbed the 995 out of the closet. Geez good thing she had the 995TS, another life (life's) saved.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you aren't a ninja, a LARPer, or Kirk, you better be grabbing the gun.

A sword in a house is hard to handle unless you really know what you are doing.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Go for the firearm. Hang the sword on the wall and never touch it again except to dust it.

Guns requires far less training to be effective than swords, knives, sticks, clubs, bare hands, or just about any other form of non-firearm combat. That's why they were invented and that's why they are the predominant tool for self defense, offense, and military usage around the world to this day.

Second, most "katana" available today, particularly those available for $20, are utter crap; poorly constructed of the wrong materials and particularly vulnerable to catastrophic failure during use. Movie swords are made for fans and fan collectors. They are usually made of some form of 440 Stainless Steel, which is too soft for a sword, lacks the proper ductility and flexibility characteristics, and usually can't be properly heat-treated by even a skilled smith, never mind the Chinese factory worker who made it for $0.12 a day. They will bend and not return to true. They will snap off at any impact point and will often "notch" on soft materials (like pine wood). They almost always have what is called a "rat tail" tang, welded to the butt of the blade, connecting the blade to the hilt, instead of a proper integrated tang, forged as part of the blade. This weld is a weak spot in a particularly high stress area for a sword (the "joint" where the sword extrudes from the hilt), and is known to break from nothing more than just the force of swinging through the air, creating an uncontrolled sharp-n-pointy missile, probably aiming straight for a loved one's eyeball (or the neighbor's back yard).

If you want a sharp-n-pointy to pair with your gun, get something like a surplus bayonet (not a knock off which might be crap), a large bowie knife from a reputable manufacturer (doesn't have to be "expensive," I happen to like most of the Cold Steel brand bowies, and even the lower quality fit and finish Atlanta Cutlery bowies - they're durable and will not fail from use). If you prefer something more "sword length," then buy a decent quality Machete (don't get a stainless steel blade!). If you just gotta have a sword, get something cutlass or hunting-saber length from Cold Steel or Atlanta Cutlery/Windlass Steelcraft. Cold Steel is a U.S. company (which does often use foreign parts and some foreign assembly) and Windlass is an Indian (continental India) company which makes functional and (very) entry level swords and knives. Basically, you want something short enough to use in confined areas and quality enough that they won't break while you're trying to use them.

But, honestly, I really believe that you need to get training in whichever one you plan to use. And, again being honest, firearms take less training to achieve minimum acceptable proficiency than swords or knives (which take less training than bare hands).

To summarize: Gun.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Post Script,

I also have serious doubts bout that "survival knife" pictured beneath the 995. Most of them are also made from crappy 440 stainless and have a poor weld to the hollow handle, which is (as discussed above) a weak spot in a high stress area and prone to breakage. If you must have a hollow hilt knife, I rather like the Cold Steel "Bushaman" series. You can pack the hollow socket handle with survival goodies and/or use it to mount the knife to a sapling, making it a spear. And they're cheap. They're usually under $30 and you can often find them for half that (or less) on fleabay. And they won't break.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. I spent $550 on a Cold Steel Katana a few years ago for my melee weapon in a SHTF scenario (mainly because of zombies of course), and I would go for the carbine if I had the choice. The nice thing about the sword is you don't have to reload it and undead will line up for head lopping.....ok but in all honesty, few people are trained enough to use a sword correctly. I took weapons classes when I was in Martial Arts (8 years) and still don't feel super comfortable using this sword because of how LEGIT it is. I think it would be nice to use in an emergency but I would recommend a firearm first and foremost before a melee weapon....unless of course your going covert because your trying to remain quiet and not alert the HERD! :p

9. nadodave

nadodave the Great Member

Yea, the tang is a big concern. My cheap samurai sword is for cutting cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

10. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I'd go for the sword, especially if you bought it on Shop At Home

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N4hprpRJhM[/ame]

11. MistrBackgammon

MistrBackgammon Member

bringing a knife to a gun fight

By all means use the sword. The outstanding record of the Empire of Japan from 1942-1945 demonstrates the utility of these weapons. If the Japanese had stainless $20 swords they would have won the war even faster. Kinda like how Kung Fu is much more effective than thermonuclear weaponry.

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I thought he said it was $20 to have it SHARPENED??? :confused:

If it is a $20 sword, leave it on the wall ;)

13. MistrBackgammon

MistrBackgammon Member

sorry I missed that

You are right underground. In my zeal to promote medieval bladed weapons I missed that. For the $20 to sharpen the Hiroshima toothpick he probably could have gotten three or four beat up Hi-Points to send to Mom for re-perfection.

14. Fishy1

Fishy1 Member

"You want that gun don't ya Zed???"

Ya like whatcha like

Attached Files:

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

You Got That Right, SunShine!!!

16. Without a doubt, you grabbed the firearm first.

17. I would got for the 995ts every time.

Sword require training and unless your really good leave it behind grab the gun. Worst case the 995ts could be used as a club.

18. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

there's prolly a reason soldiers and police carry guns instead of swords. i prefer a gun.

19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Pshhh.......... ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1398270392.091113.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1398270402.475332.jpg

20. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member