Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been looking into picking up a used raven arms mp25 or a phoenix arms hp25. Im a tiny guy (5'6" 120lbs soaking wet) so i was wanting something easily concealable without breaking the bank and came across these. I know that people bash on them and say they arent worth a shite but i mean come on have we all not heard the same about our beloved hipoints? But seeing them sell from 50 - 100 dollars im like why not cant go wrong for that kind of money....ive blown that on alcohol and women countless times. I guess to those of you who own them what do you think about yours?

I guess now begins my search to locate one i may just go buy a new one lol:brow:

if only the c9 was smaller and didnt look like i was concealing a cannon :cantlook:

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am no gun snob-- buy what you can afford-- that being said, Ihave sold almost all my sns-es in the last 2 weeks. .25ACP is too high, and I really didn't need a .22Short revolver....and the Jennings/Jiminez-- well they aint reliable.

I have cut my collection in near half, but I feel better with my " go to" selections....

Heck right now I am working a trade for my Bersa for a Marlin 30-30. I am cutting my ammo types to 4 or 5 if possible....

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Cannon LOL. There are holsters that fit inside you pant waist and Hayband sells pants with expandable waist bands that can grow up to 4 sizes. Just a tip.

I have a Titan 25 and it is a little small. My wife uses it. The thing keeps biting me on recoil. Then I gotta wear a band aid and.... I can carry the thing in my hand and it wouldn't be seen. Ammunition is kinda limited though. Most have gone to the .22 and ammunition has expanded your options on the .22 Check this web site.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

There is a wide variety of 38s and .357's out there designed for concealment. LOTS of bang power. Small, light weight and strong. Look around some. Taurus and Ruger are just a couple brands.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Instead of the Phoenix hp25, go for the hp22. They are excellent guns, and the .22lr is nothing to shake a stick at, especially with mini-mags or stingers loaded up. I have one and trust it so much that I gave it to my wife, for her birthday, to carry. New ones retail for $130-$160 range, but they can be had cheaper used or on Gun Broker.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Personally, I would trust a good can of Fox Labs pepper spray before I trusted my Lorcin .25 or my Jennings J-22 for self defense. With a good bit of work I've gotten the Jennings to be a pretty good pistol, but it's nowhere near what I'd call a self defense gun. I'm 5'11 180 and can easily conceal my Glock 17 or Springfield 1911 A1 GI. A lot of it lies in the holster you choose. I use Don Hume holsters.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
wife has a jiminez 9 she likes, i know the bad press and issues but with her military and back woods upbringin she knows what to watch for, ive shot it, and (oddly enough) while smaller then the hipoint it seemed heavier...and way to small for my hands, but it went bang every time.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The Raven 25 and the Phoenix are both generally regarded as pretty decent for "SNS" - but I would second the recommendation about the Phoenix in 22 vs 25. You would probably be better off saving for a while and buying a somewhat more expensive gun that you could still carry easily and would at least be of a more suitable defense caliber, like 9mm. If you can find a place to get the ammo, a 9x18 Makarov might be a good choice... AFAIK they are slightly cheaper and smaller guns than 9mm, but I can't speak to ammo prices.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
First let's get this out of the way: Do not use the term 'Saturday Night Special' when discussing inexpensive firearms. It's a perjorative term invented by proponents of gun control to justify disarming minorities and the poor.

I'll assume you mentioned the handguns in your post not only for size, but also for cost. If you want an inexpensive, dependable small pistol a Raven .25 will fit the bill. Be sure you find one that's never been dropped because the slide is fairly thin diecast and most feeding problems I've seen can be traced to the slide. The ammo is expensive but will feed much better than any .22 pocket pistol due to the .22's rimmed case. Seriously, though, if you can afford a bit more money, there have been some good recommendations in this thread for .22 pocket pistols. If I had to carry a .22 / .25 I'd leave the Raven and Taurus PT22 at home and carry my Beretta 21A. But my KelTec P3AT is smaller than the .22s and while larger than the .25 it is more powerful. Do what you have to, but it may be prudent to save for the future. Best of luck whatever you end up doing--and stay safe.

So ive been looking into picking up a used raven arms mp25 or a phoenix arms hp25. Im a tiny guy (5'6" 120lbs soaking wet) so i was wanting something easily concealable without breaking the bank and came across these. I know that people bash on them and say they arent worth a shate but i mean come on have we all not heard the same about our beloved hipoints? But seeing them sell from 50 - 100 dollars im like why not cant go wrong for that kind of money....ive blown that on alcohol and women countless times. I guess to those of you who own them what do you think about yours?

I guess now begins my search to locate one i may just go buy a new one lol:brow:

if only the c9 was smaller and didnt look like i was concealing a cannon :cantlook:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone... Im going to look into everyones suggestions ^-^ the ruger lcr is pretty badass.
Didnt really mean anything negative by the SNS term :angel: just how theyve been referred to by my family....i think my grandpa has one.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Thanks everyone... Im going to look into everyones suggestions ^-^ the ruger lcr is pretty badass.
Didnt really mean anything negative by the SNS term :angel: just how theyve been referred to by my family....i think my grandpa has one.
I know, and I wasn't meaning to single you out or trying to be pedantic and preachy either. It's just that we sometimes use terms without consideration of what they may mean to the uninformed. This forum should be especially careful about terms like SNS!

Ruger revolvers have a reputation for working well at a reasonable price. If the new lcr fits your needs you'll probably be very happy with it.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
personally id shy away from the LCR until they work the kinks out. look at the bad rep the LCP has gotten after all the recalls and problems from users. the beretta tomcat/bobcat series has plenty of good rep under its belt and both are cheaper than the LCP or LCR by far.

SW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive got some small hands to beat it all ^-^ my c9 is almost too big for my grip.....being small sucks majority of the time. Im hopefully getting a job this week...i have 2 interviews tomorrow. So hopefully i will be purchasing a mosin and a small handgun for my conceal carry very soon :D

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
HA ha, got two. I have a Davis P380 that after a little work shoots pretty good(Made in Chino,CA version), and my wife has a chrome Raven 25 that is actually a sweet little gun. Never had a jam out of it. Ever!

·
Registered
222 Posts
HA ha, got two. I have a Davis P380 that after a little work shoots pretty good(Made in Chino,CA version), and my wife has a chrome Raven 25 that is actually a sweet little gun. Never had a jam out of it. Ever!
I know what you mean about the Davis P380. I had one and was one of my favorites. I read an article in Guns&Ammo a year or so ago and it said that Davis 380's were the most accurate cheap 380. I never could keep it inside of a 5" pattern but it was pretty dependable, after I cleaned it up a bit. The little .25's I have had too many to count. I only had one that would jam on me though. I fixed that...I sold it. Someone else wanted to buy a new slide for it and I didnt.

If anyone wants to get rid of a less expensive brand .22/.25 pocket pistol or even an old Davis P380/P32 PM me and maybe we can work something out. The last of the .25's I had and my small Herbert Schmidt .22 revolver were stolen last year and I am trying to find cheap replacements. Hell, let me know even if they are broken. I'm more or less into collecting them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
noname, that sucks on the stolen guns...and to everyone else, yes these pocket guns have their uses! Buy one if you want, and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Jag 8)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a sns I picked up this past thankgiving at a gun show .. Its a little bryco38 .380acp .. Got it for $40 minus clip . picked up a clip for $20 and it shoot great every time .. I've heard alot on negetive things about jennings bryco for jams and such .. I did little tweeks to the clip and polished the ramp up but its an ok pocket pistol .. I have goten bit by it a few times being a bigger guy 6' 4in 240lbs with big hands but its fits my wife perfect ...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
personally id shy away from the LCR until they work the kinks out. look at the bad rep the LCP has gotten after all the recalls and problems from users. the beretta tomcat/bobcat series has plenty of good rep under its belt and both are cheaper than the LCP or LCR by far.

SW
I've heard of one recall on the LCP which Ruger has handled in an exemplary manner and very few problems.
The LCR does cost a bit more (almost double the LCP).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.