Savage 111 in 30-06...opinions?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, Feb 12, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Since I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling from the current owner of "my" Santa Fe 30-06 I'm kinda scouting alternatives.
    My fav pawnshop has a Savage 111 in 30-06 with a wood stock on it.
    It does not have a detacheable mag.
    I handled it a little today but forgot to write down any details as far as which 111 model it is as they seems to have different ones.
    It's got a no name scope on it.

Reasons why I want a 30-06? I live in a city and would like a long distance gun lol :D
    I'm tinkering with my AR180 and will probably at some point take it to a 400 yard range.
    But I'd still like something with a little more punch.

I offered the guy $200 to sell me back "my" Santa Fe but if that reall does fall through what is a decent price for the Savage?
    I think they have it stickered at $399 or something...
    I'll go back tomorrow and get some more info.

Google pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Swaga, the picture you have is the 114 Classic, which is an excellent rifle. If you can get it for under $450 jump on it. New they are over $500. The older versions were the ones without the detachable mag.

3. planosteve

If it looks like this it is a 111, it is still a good rifle and you might be able to talk them down to $350 even if it is new. If it is used about $350 if it is in very good shape.

Attached Files:

4. SWAGA

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow as that google pic is probably misleading.
    The gun looks and feels pretty vanilla but I like the trigger.
    I'd rather have my sporterized milsurp back but hey you can't have everything in life....
    But the 111 is probably a more accurate gun despite all of its vanilla-ness..:(

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There are a variety of 111 models, in a variety of stocks.

I assume this one has the accutrigger?

Base model synthetic stock might run $459, prices go up from there.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Member

The Model 111 Savage is a REAL GOOD RIFLE. The 111 is built on a 110 action. I have a 1971 110 in 30-06 and IT IS GOOD. Savage is know for Quality barrels. I shoot Savage in .22 for both my bench guns. I would say if you can pick it up for under $400 a great deal with the Accu-Trigger. Check the bore and crown, if they look good GO FOR IT ..... :cool:

7. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

I prefer bolt rifles without a detachable magazine or floor plate.

8. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

i've got a Savage Axis .308 with alot of mods done to it and it is an awesome rifle and easily will shoot sub moa @100yrds . My next bolt rifle will be a Savage and will be a 110BA .338 Lapua

Edit ...

here's a target i was shooting at the 100yrd line about 8 months ago and was using american eagle 150grain BT , the target is 3" dia and the inside circle is 1.5" and the diamond is 3/4" as you can see i've got a bullseye and (2) others very close,the remaining bullet holes is when i went to 180 grain super X and they were not even close !!!

[​IMG]

9. Rerun

Rerun Member

My Savage Model 110 in .30-06 and I go back a long way.

The .30-06 is one of the most versatile cartridges on the North American continent ~ One can reload it using 110 gr to 220 gr bullets allowing You to zero in on med sized game to large game.

You can almost always find a box or two of 150-165 gr ammunition in any Sporting Goods store, Mom and Pop store, Filling Station or Thrift Store in rural areas.

It is a good combination between rifle and ammunition.

eldar

10. SWAGA

If you mean this dopey little thing:

[​IMG]

No it doesn't....

They had another rifle that does and I went all icky with how it feels.
    Besides when I pulled the trigger on that one you could feel and see the whole action move in the stock. That can't be good.

11. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

The good thing about the 30.06 round is you can hunt anything on the North American continent with it and not worry about pi**ing it off and having it bite you in the *ss after it's hit. (If hit in the right place). I owned an older Savage .06 a few years ago, sold it and hated myself after. I ran across a Rem 700 .06 Grade A wood stock and decent scope that had been fired a couple dozen times according to the elderly gent that sold it to me for $450. Thought that was a good deal and refuse to sell it ever. Told the wife to bury me with it. Not really sure how she took that yet? :rolleyes:

12. careful, a liberal might hold you to that. Get eaten by a Grizzly and sue you for not recomending him a .375 or bigger :p

13. Rerun

Rerun Member

elsey strikes out again!

Back in the late 2000's a Park Ranger in Alaska killed a HUGE Bear that had just consumed the better part of two hikers and was considering the Ranger as a dessert.

The Park Ranger dispatched this MONSTROUS 1600 POUND BEAR with a 4 round 7mm Magnum rifle.

Shot placement over everything else.

eldar

PS The Hikers refuse to take the offered 12 Gauge Shotgun, explaining that they were 'one with nature'...

That turned out to be more true than they thought.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Loose action screws. It shouldn't move.

My 110 is pre-accutrigger, it's adjustable, plenty nice. IIRC, the accutrigger came out around 2003, all guns have it after 2004.

15. SWAGA

So it's a Model 111G 30.06 with a wood look alike composite stock and a 3-9x40 Simmons scope on it.
    I tried to lowball at $250-$275 and they're stuck at $330 with layaway.
    Couple of scuffs on the stock no iron sights, barrel looks fine.
    Good deal or not?

16. Rerun

Rerun Member

17. Rerun

Rerun Member

If I had the disposable income, I'd buy it!

'Course I've also been known to buy 'bear stories'...

eldar

18. planosteve

As long as you can grin and bear it on problem.

19. SWO1

SWO1 Member

I've seen a couple for between $400 and $450. Walnut finished hardwood (not walnut), no iron sights (scope only). Accu-trigger. You cant get much better than the 110 savage action. Composite stocks arnt all that bad. A couple scuffs on the stock isnt a big deal if the rest of the rifle are good.