Saved my old .22

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Space, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Space

Space Member

NH
    My Dad gave me this Winchester 190 when I was 12. Shot it a lot when I was a kid.

When I got married and started having kids, the wife wasn't too fond of firearms so the couple I had got stuffed into storage and were pretty much forgotten about for 20 years. Kids are grown and mostly gone so my interest in hunting/shooting was reborn.

The old Winchester just wasn't what she used to be. After refinishing several Milsurps I thought I'd try restoring it.

Before: Rusty and stock is all crappy. Note the oil line running down the stock (oil was under the finish and into the wood). Guess I oiled it pretty heavy before I stuck it away.

[​IMG]

Sanded off the original crappy finish. The stock is really hard and doesn't take up stain too well but I think it looks kinda cool. Kroil oil and steelwool pretty much saved the barrel too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course now that I have a functioning .22 again, can't have just one so I needed picked up a new Ruger 10/22:

[​IMG]

2. DrpChvy

DrpChvy Member

Looks like the same .22 my buddy has. although his had a broken cocking handle and the replacement one he bought for it didnt last but a few trips to the range.

And the 10/22 my girlfriend and I bought one and put an ati stock and a scope on it.

With the price of ammo going up im glad that ive got a few 22's to shoot at the range.

3. freedom

freedom Member

Wow you did a great job, can we see a close up on the barrel, you did a good job on the stock from what I can see so it would be neat to see the after on the barrel as well.

4. Very good job, it looks great, nice rifles.

5. Space

Space Member

NH
    Ok, here are some close-ups of the barrel. Not perfect but a lot better than it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and of course, I needed to get a nice new scope to go with the facelift 8) 8)

6. freedom

freedom Member

Thanks,
    Nice looks much better. You did a good job.

7. Very good!!! I'm impressed with the life saving efforts.

Good job.

8. elguapo

elguapo Guest

+1!

9. They are good rifles . I gave one to my son-in-law and he has put a lot of ammo through it . It is a shame that your wife don't allow you to have them where you can use them to defend her and your family.
    Spot

10. The furniture on the older .22 is beautiful! The character of the grain is very cool indeed. That Kroil stuff is pretty amazing. We use it at work a lot and it saves our bacon regularly.

11. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    That is really really sweet.
    Good job!

12. That, sir, is _wonderful_! There is little in this world more spectacular than a firearm, granted from an ancestor, and now brought to new life. Congratulations!

13. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    Good job on that rifle!
    The stock looks great.

14. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Woa!!

I just dug out of my dads gun closet that same model! My grandfather bought it new way back..well way back when! I am in the middle of getting it back to shooting condition.

Congrats, and enjoy!!!