Saving up for an AR15

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by TeaSipper, Aug 1, 2014.

1. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

I'm looking for one on a budget, around $600. I seen quite a few models fitting that quota.

Y'all have experiences with any budget models? I don't plan to shoot it much except to get a feel for it and use it for HD. I shouldn't have to worry about chrome lined barrel.

2. drifterted

drifterted Member

Build your own...

3. Tchort

Tchort Member

You can get the bushmaster now and then at Rurual King for $599. I got an ATI Omni 5.56 works great. Got about 1000 rds through mine and paid $589 at local gun store.

Attached Files:

4. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I think buying a low end AR is a great way to go. You'll find out how they work, what you do and don't like. You can buy aftermarket parts to "fix" teh areas you don't like.

Your second AR will be more in line with what you ultimately want. Your buddies can use your low end AR when you go to the range.

Before the Sandy Hook incident, I bought a DPMS Oracle for $469 on sale. I've run about 1000 rounds thru it with no problems. At that rate, I'll never wear the barrel out. Spent about $200 on additional or replacement parts. Most of those parts can be removed and put on another unit should I chose to sell this one.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Crap-tons of em in my AO on armslist in that price range..... Seems like the AR market is really getting good for the buyers now!

6. Back2School

Back2School Member

Well, I just did mine. I ordered a S&W M&P 15. Can find on sale around $599 at a lot of places, Buds has them right now for $630 with a 6 month layaway plan if that interests you.

I hear a lot of good feedback about the M&P 15, most say its a great entry level AR. Only misses are no forward assist and no dust cover which everyone says you probably will not miss.

Just my 2 cents :)

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Only 1 model doesn't have the dust cover/ forward assist.The rest of them do. If the prices keep coming down, I may have to start collecting the AR's? Maybe one of each!!!

8. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

What is forward assist?

9. rickm

rickm Member

10. MachoMelvin

FORWARD ASSIST: It was a button placed on the right side of the early models of
    M-16's to help with seating the older cartridges that somes wouldn't chamber correctly. They later improved the ammo to where it is almost never used anymore. Most people think their AR-15 is NOT A REAL gun without it. If you would ask, 99% of all AR users have never used the forward assist button ever?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  11. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Damn, $539 and in stock. Hell, it's bookmarked. :)

C'mon CL, sell my guitar quick!

12. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Hey, what can I get for my 4095ts?

13. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

14. desertrider

desertrider Member

I know you're looking for the best price, just don't be enticed by anything with a polymer lower.

I don't have any experience with the poly lowers floating around out there, but stick with aluminum.

15. JBall419

JBall419 Member

Ohio
    Got a dpms sportical ... It's a great ar15 for under $600 .. My dpms has gave me zero issues with any kind of ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

16. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

The link I posted are aluminum. :)

I might be able to get a better one instead of looking for the cheapest. Right now I'm wheeling and dealing putting my stuff up for sale. Right now I have $400 I'm sitting on. If I sell my guitar that's $600 right there.

17. desertrider

desertrider Member

Since JBall mentioned ammo, I thought I'd throw in my two cents about Tula.

It used to be that Wolf was considered bad to run in AR's because the lacquer from the coated cases would (allegedly) melt off in the chamber and cause extraction problems.

I personally never experienced this, and I've run both Wolf and Tula through one AR without any failures. Wolf and Tula run pretty dirty though. You should definitely clean your AR regularly if you shoot either.

*** Edited to add that Tula seems to be coated with a Teflon like material, so the lacquer issue wouldn't apply anyway.***

18. MachoMelvin

I ordered a 4095TS yesterday for $289 + tx = $305 & change OTD.
    Seen one today in a different LGS for the same $289. Should have waited, could have taken it home today!

19. MachoMelvin

If you have a $1000, buy a Stag, NO questions asked, lifetime transferrable warranty. Sound familar??? These are all list price, dealers will have discounted below this.

https://www.stagarms.com/ar15-rifles/