Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at many diffrent sights and they all seem to be a "little" bit vague and diffrent. I'm not looking for the laws that wil push the envolpe, NRA style (although I do agree with them). I want to know the best and clearsest way to carry a handgun in car/home.....without a CWP. I have a large van and have no locking glove box, but I do have two shelving compartments that are lockable.....but they are WAY in the back of my van. Thanks in advance. Pau

·
Premium Member
380 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have looked at many diffrent sights and they all seem to be a "little" bit vague and diffrent. I'm not looking for the laws that wil push the envolpe, NRA style (although I do agree with them). I want to know the best and clearsest way to carry a handgun in car/home.....without a CWP. I have a large van and have no locking glove box, but I do have two shelving compartments that are lockable.....but they are WAY in the back of my van. Thanks in advance. Pau
Ok, No CWP... first and foremost...
If you are on your property, in your dwelling, or inside a business that you own; You may open or concealed carry at will.
If you are in your vehicle: You may not have the firearm on you, laying in plain view, or not in a covered compartment. This means, if your glove box has a door, and you can't view the contents without opening it: You may put your weapon in there. There is no law saying it cannot be loaded. Center console? (If it has a lid) Can you see inside it with the lid shut? If no, then you may put your firearm in there. "map pockets", "cup holders", and "Under/Between the seat" are all no-nos in SC, it is considered improper carrying of a weapon... doesn't look good on any application, I'm sure.
http://tinyurl.com/8vc5v9 - Home Invasion Protection Act - Good read!
And Lastly, the trunk is always accepted in SC.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Don't forget that you may concealed carry to/from your vehicle to your residence/business if you like, without a CWP.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Strangerous hit the nail on the head . It is also advisable to let the officer that stops you know before you open the glove box that holds your vehicle registration and proof of insurance that you have a handgun in there before you open it .
Spot

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
SC gun law. If you can legaly obtain a handgun then you can carry in your vehicle.
Must be in Glove Box. Center Console. Or in the trunk.
No under the seat storage device. Or back seat..

Home no laws. But you must be the property owner.. You can carry on you anyway you want.. I live in a sudivision so when I am out side mine is concealed. Just cause of nosiy neighbors.

Here is the SC gun laws as written..
http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
It's not that hard to get your CWP here in SC an 8 hour class shoot 50 rounds in a target answer a SIMPLE test send in all the paperwork and you have it. ALSO it's easier to buy a weapon at a gunshop with one as well ;)

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I plan on taking the class in Jan..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts