Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

SC Mayor bans foot pursuits

3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  lakota169 
#1 ·
All I can say is "GOD BLESS YOU" :cantlook:

http://officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/SC-Mayor-Bans-Police-Pursuits-on-Foot/1$48500

Here's the video http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/09/22/dnt.sc.no.foot.chase.wspa

The mayor of Wellford, S.C. is defending a policy she issued earlier this month which bans police officers from chasing suspects on foot, according to WSPA-TV.

On Sept. 2, Mayor Sallie Peake issued a memo to all of the city's officers that read: "As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever."

Peake told the news station that she issued the mandate because several officers have been injured during chases, driving up insurance costs for the town.

The city is paying $20,000 annually in workers' compensation claims, much of which goes to the police force, she said.

According to Wellford Police Chief Chris Guy, three officers have been injured during foot chases in the last two years

Guy has told his officers to abide by the policy and says they can still protect the public.

"Just because a suspect may run does not mean we can't identify them, sign warrants, and catch them later," he said.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright disagrees with Guy's assessment, telling WSPA-TV that when a suspect gets away, there is always the chance he could hurt someone before officers catch up with him.

"If a bank robber or a drunk driver or a shoplifter or somebody with a warrant runs on foot, it's our obligation to do what we can do to bring them to justice," he said.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup ole crazy Sallie!! I have had a tussle with her. I used to do armed security at a strip club in her town. They can't keep good cops there cause of her BS. SHE wants to run everythng right down to the doing the scheduleing for the PD. I asked her several times where did SHE get her police training. She's a power hungry no nothing nutcase.

#5 ·
If I was a cop there, I think I would find a cousin or somebody to purse snatch the mayor while I just happened to be walking towards them from a block away. As the Mayor is screaming for me to catch the guy running away I would saunter up to her and ask if she wanted to make a report, as I am under orders from my Chief not to run. Betcha the policy would get changed before shift change........ :D

#12 ·
See this is what happens when people elect dumbasses! You have a bad situation turning potentially exponentially worse.
Yup, dumbasses, dummycrats (not to be confused with Democrats) and people who can't speak English. Shoot, I live in the south and I had a real tough time understanding what she had to say. :cantlook:

#13 ·
http://www.cityofwellford.com/index.cfm?id=221883&fuseaction=browse&pageid=45

The mayors direct line is listed, give her a call, I did, its after hours though, I left a voicemail with my contact info. I hope she calls me back.
I would.. but there's no way to sugar coat the fact that the lady's an asshole and the fact that she is putting money ahead of public safety is not only ridiculous, it's downright dangerous and she should be chased out of town! How she is acting toward the media just made my point more solid.

But how about this as an idea.. We arm the city. Criminals committing crimes get a bullet in the ass! That way the cops don't have to chase. The article on www.officer.com had 14 pages of comments at last count. "The police chief needs to go to man school" was one of my favorites.

See this is what happens when people elect dumbasses! You have a bad situation turning potentially exponentially worse.
Yup, dumbasses, dummycrats (not to be confused with Democrats) and people who can't speak English. Shoot, I live in the south and I had a real tough time understanding what she had to say. :cantlook:
I didn't have a good time understanding the crazy bitch :D

#14 ·
She has gone thru at least a 1/2 dozen to a dozen Officers in the last 6 years They get the academy trining and leave for another dept for more money and to get away from her One guy she fired for insubordination bacause he wouldn't vote for her. The chief is a lazy useless POS.

#15 ·
dang ima go be a cop there all i will have to do is aim and shoot my tazer and if they get away ohhh well i couldnt run time to stock up on doughnuts hahhaha

#16 ·
There's no reason they can't hop on a motorcycle or in their cruiser and give chase just like they do now... I'm not seeing this as a horrible thing, although there may be some idiots who think it's a license to grab & dash...
if they're not allowed to pursue on foot, jumping in the cruiser isnt goin to help. what do they do when they cant proceed in the vehicle any further, wave???? or maybe they'll yell " STOP,,,OR I'LL SAY STOP AGAIN...."

#24 ·
She's changed her mind now, according to News Channel 7 teaser with Chris Cato.
http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local..._sallie_peake_rescinds_no_chase_policy/27293/

Wellford, SC)-Wellford Mayor Sallie Peake is rescinding her controversial "no chase" policy, saying she is following the example of an embattled South Carolina congressman.

"I'm like Joe Wilson," says Peake. "He was forced to apologize. I'm changing (the policy) not because I want to, but because I've been asked to."

Three weeks ago, Peake sent a memo to all Wellford police officers which says: "As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever."

She said she did this because officers kept getting injured during chases, costing the small town too much money in insurance.

But on Thursday, Peake said she has decided to rescind the policy after talking to 7th Circuit Solicitor Trey Gowdy, who she considers a close friend. She says Gowdy sent her a letter saying he is concerned about the impact her policy could have on the community. Read the letter.
She called him on Wednesday and they talked.

"It places officers in an impossible and untenable position to not be able to pursue fleeing felons," said Gowdy.

He said he drafted the letter to Peake after police officers came to talk to him, expressing concern because Peake's policy conflicts with their sworn duty to uphold the law. He would not say if the officers work for Wellford.

"It just hamstrings law enforcement in a way that I really don't think Mayor Peake intended," said Gowdy.

Peake said she has asked the city's attorney to draft a new policy that will rescind the current order and allow officers to once again pursue suspects on foot.

"They can run, jump, climb trees, tumble, wreck cars, whatever they want to do," said Peake.

But she's not apologizing for anything she said last Friday in her fiery interview with WSPA which has been shown on CNN and many other affiliates around the country.

"I meant what I said, and I say what I mean, and I stand by it!" said Peake.

#26 ·
Crazy. No one dares question her greatness, huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.