Scam ya think?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, Apr 19, 2015.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    An ad on Vermont Armslist.

----------------------------------------------------
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/4242529/vermont-handguns-for-sale--spanish-star-super-sa--1911-9mm-8-rd-pistol-

For Sale: Spanish Star Super SA. 1911 9MM 8 Rd Pistol

Price:
    $ 235
    Seller:
    Private Party
    Account:
    Registered on 4/14/2015

Listings by this user

Listed On:
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015
    Listed In:
    Handguns
    Shipping:
    No

Spanish Star Super SA. 1911 9MM 8 Rd Pistol. This pistol is in great shape. Finish shows only minor handling marks, good solid grips. Good shiny bore. Comes with one 8 round magazine.
    ------------------------------------

My email correspondence with seller:

Me - Take $200 cash?

Seller - Thanks for the interest in my weapon , i will accept the cash like that because i need to pay my rent , i am in Texas now for business, i don't know when i will be back , if truly you are serious making the payment for my weapon now , i am going to ship the weapon for you Through my FFL and its free shipping , are you gonna make the payment now ?

Me - Your listing says Vermont.

Seller - Yes you are right , i have move out of Vermont, i am in Texas now for business , if make the payment now i will ship the weapon for you trough my FFL , so what do you think?

Me - Nice taking to ya.
    --------------------------------------------------

Red Flags - Seller account is a whole 5 days old. Too good to be true price. Vermont ad w/ no shipping yet is in Texas and willing to ship for free (if I pay now). No Vermonter has that bad of broken English.

I should have told him to go "F" himself.

2. I had a similar experience when looking for a new dog. Said they we're local, Milwaukee wi but claimed they were in Utah for a couple of months for work. HOWEVER if I wanted to see the puppy and paid for it right then. they could get the dog to me in 6 hours from Utah! Gee I said if you can get the dog here why don't you come with it?
    end of conversation...

3. I had that happen to me on Craigslist in regards to a vehicle. It was in a crate ready to be shipped..... yea right.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    My wife was going to be in the D.C. area on business for a month, once, and needed to rent one of those temporary apartments. She had one guy say that he was in the Phillipines, on vacation, but that if she mailed him a money order for the rent, then he would send her the apartment keys. These jokers are idiot vermin.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    But the beautiful part is that they can only prey on those less intelligent than
    themselves, which would likely be a very small group! So Stupid...

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Who the hell is the scammer, Boris Badenov?..... He offer better deal if you tell him where is moose and squirrel?

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I was talking to a guy from Cincy about trading my FB for an M&P40c. He was pretty eager from the sounds of it, then we decided to meet half way, in Springfield. I asked if he'd wanna meet at the gun store there, as that'd be neutral ground for us both. That was the last I heard from him, 2 weeks ago. Sent another email last week asking if he was still interested, but he's not gotten back with me. Probably stole the gun, looking to dump it, then bailed at the mention of a gun store

8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Ask him where in Texas he is, and then no matter where he says he is, tell him you have a friend who is a Federal Agent that lives there who can look at it for you, make payment and handle the shipping. See how fast he runs. :rofl:

9. Kiln

Kiln Member

Unless it is face to face or from a dealer, there's no way I'd trust it.

10. panoz77

panoz77 Member

FTF transactions on Craigslist ONLY. Total scam. FYI, I wouldn't pay much more than that for a Star.

11. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I encountered this scam over 15 years ago. The scammer was claiming to be selling a Questar 3.5" high end telescope. Everyone heavily into amateur astronomy recognizes this model telescope as an expensive high quality classic of limited use because of its small diameter. This small telescope has been around for a long time; however, in the early 1990s the price new was $3500. The scammer claimed he and was only asking $800 because he needed the money; however, he was no longer in New York because he had to go work at his parents' farm in Canada. All communication was through email because he didn't have a telephone.

I detected that it was a scam and about a month later there were several threads on a couple of astronomy forums discussing the scam.

This is the same scam, different product. I wonder if it is the same people doing the scam.

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

CL is scammer central. I had an antique typewriter listed. Got offers from all over to ship it if I would take a check for $5k and refund the difference...

Sure send me the check, when it clears my bank I will contact your shipper...

Silence...