scammers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by colthrash, Jan 15, 2015.

1. colthrash

colthrash Member

we just received a phone message asking us to contact the "dept. of legal affairs" to avoid a "legal mess". a quick google search says this is a scam during tax season...

2. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Have you seen the latest HR block add, Money Money Money, Monnnnnney, Money! What does this have to do with HPs?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Might explain why it's posted in "Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Lounge". I always wondered what that forum was for. Now I know.

4. Simple, if you fall for some scam, you won't have money to buy more HPs!
    :D

5. Welcome to owning a telephone. We shall now introduce you to fax, and just wait until you get a cellular phone, it'll blow your mind. :p

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I want to see the look on his face when he finds out about flush toilets! :D

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Ignore these other "helpers" :p

I got the same message, it's BS!

The IRS never uses phone messages, or even calls you. They send
    Registered Letters :D

I have had dealings with them before, they don't play around with
    phone-tag! It was even a 202 area code, wasn't it? ;)

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I had a series of phone calls similar to this. They all came from the same phone number out of Texas every time. I handled it my way. They kept calling over and over leaving voicemail about how they were from some law firm and had important information about a case in my county and if I didn't contact them they were going to garnish my wages, have my federal tax return held, and put lien holds on all of my property. They were calling my cell phone 2-3 times a day for two weeks. So I transferred the voicemails to my computer, took screen captures of my call logs, and transferred them to a flash drive as evidence. Next time they called I answered and went on an epithet filled tirade. Everything she came up with I shot down. You can't take my taxes if I can't file a return because I'm on disability which is non-taxable income, you can't garnish my wages without a court order since I'm on disability, and you can't put liens on "everything I own" because the only thing I own that has a title is my truck and I plan on driving it to the junkyard when I'm done with it. Then I informed her that the entire phone call had been recorded, including her threat to transfer the debt to my children. I had every single voicemail she had ever left me saved to a flash drive and copies of my call log saved as well a print out of my monthly activity statement to provide evidence of harassment. Then I dared her to take me to court and see what happened. I told her that I hoped she did take me to court so I could make public the level of harassment her law firm would sink to in an effort to extort money from people and that by the time I was done with her and her law firm they would even be able to argue a parking ticket in a court of law.

Haven't heard from them since...

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. My Vonage phone takes the brunt of those calls. And usually when I see a number I don't recognize, I pick up with a British accent. I let them talk for a while before informing them they have dialed the UK (they dialed a Minnesota-based number in reality). These scam geniuses still have a budget, and they then assume they have just dialed long-distance and immediately hang up and usually don't call again.
    Otherwise what I do is answer with my rank and name and ask where to direct their call. Once they hear that they generally just leave it alone; scammers don't f*ck with military lines.

11. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    I got one last week from "Officer Marcus" (Indian accent) informing me that I was being investigated for Federal tax fraud and needed to call them to discuss my situation. I called the number and told them that my assets were frozen because I was under a Federal indictment for running a fraudulent scheme across state lines and they would have to contact the office of the US Attorney for my state. The guy on the phone (another Indian accent) seemed a bit confused.

12. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I was getting phone calls from a guy also with Indian accent. The number listed was out of Montana. He kept calling say my computer had a virus I asked him which computer I have several. He said it was the one with windows 7. That helps a lot mine is mint :-D . I keep talking with him and asking a lot of questions about it. After awhile I tell him I use mint and that I have found his IP and that he now has a virus thats gathering all his data and will wipe his clean in 24 hours for F$$king with me. I tell him he now has to pay me $1000 to stop the attack. I tell him he picked the wrong number. He hung up and didn't call back. I wonder if he started to search his computer :-D

13. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Loved it, thats good..

14. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    I've had a few of those. I didn't come up with anything so creative for them though. :D There were two calls from somebody trying to say they were from Microsoft without saying that and finally saying they were from Windows. I just said I didn't believe them and to get lost.

15. Rachgier

I just wish I really won all those lottery scam e-mails that show up in my junk folder. My folder auto-purges every 7 days but if I add up what's in there now I would be north of $275 mil?

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'll split my 20,000,000$ check with you, ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1421613860.166482.jpg from my long lost Nigerian uncle, who just happens to be a prince!

17. Rachgier

I have personally won the National UK lottery twice this week to the tune of $20 mil....in USD.

18. Bull

Dude!!!!! Road trip!

19. Rachgier

Make a pit stop to pick up Rob and meet me at JFK. We'll go on our own European Vacation....

[​IMG]

20. Bull

That would be epic!....... See how many EU countries we can get banned from....