scary day at the range again....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by talon, May 11, 2014.

1. talon

talon the banned wagon

so, took my brand new finished AK47 build out for its maiden run, first 30 rounds went beautiful, managed to put 26/30 center mass at 50 yards. loaded in the second magazine and a few round in, got a jam, nothing major, new gun, everythings kinda stiff, unbroken-in, to be expected. clear, rack, fire. few more rounds i get a loud audible "TINK!" noise, and no bang. uh oh, misfire. mandatory hold gun downrange for about three minutes........nothing. drop mag, pull to release the round, it wont move. cant clear the chamber, not good. so set the gun down for about fifteen minutes and waited, nothing, so cleared the other two people off the range and pull the reciever cover and spring. The hammer pivot pin is snapped, and the coil spring is unsprung. and theres a live round still in the gun, and the hammer has fallen, even if it has fallen off center. the hammer is wedged inside rom the snapped pin. i managed to pull the hammer out of the way with a large screwdriver, enough to pull the bolt out far enough to get the shell out of the rifle.

definitely not how you want your gun to act. so now i can say ive gotten my first near catostrophic firearms failure out of the way, and handled it safely. i blame the cheap US made parts i purchased for the innards, but, that whole dang US compliancy thing made them necesary. i will however be replacing the hammer pivot pin with a good, much higher quality Russian replacement instead of the Tapco part that i knew i didnt trust from the very start. there will still be more than enough parts to keep it within the law, but im not going to waste time with using inferior parts in critical places.

can definitely say it was unnerving knowing there was a live round in the chamber and that the hammer had fallen, luckily it canted enough to not strike the primer. its out, its cleared, and it'll be replaced tonight.

Attached Files:

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

it shouldnt look like that btw. sorry for the glare, cellphone camera on a beautiful bright day

Attached Files:

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

That is very scary talon. I'm glad that it wasn't a catostrophic failure. I have had a similar issue with my AR and it is very unnerving to say the least.

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

thanks. i tried filming a short video showing how to replace the pins, but, lets just say, im far from photogenic so i ditched it. quick fix once the broken pin was pushed out and the reciever had to be straightened around the pin hole, but, she's fully functional again and ready for another testing. polished the hammer assembly while i had it out as well.

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Trying to be like me and check "have a heart attack" off your bucket list?

That looks and sounds like it was about as close to a complete catastrophic failure of a firearm as one might be willing to get. Looks like I'll add Tapco to my list of companies to fully vet before purchasing internals from in the future.

6. Scary indeed, though I do believe had the round fired you would have been ok, the carrier would have locked up hard and you may never have gotten it unstuck without mangling the receiver.
    But you still have a face, all your fingers, and you can easily salvage the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

i will swear by the tapco G2 trigge assembly, it counts as two pieces, (even though its a single piece), but the pins and hammer, look, and feel like pot metal crap, i will never use them again. i still have enough US pieces to keep my compliancy so theyve found thier way to the garbage can, and some Russian parts have ''found thier way home'' and have been put back into active duty.

im real glad the round didnt go off, it surely would have destroyed the reciever and bolt, and that wouldnt have made me happy. she's too pretty to hurt. she's the first gun ive actually given an name too. "Abigail'' lol which oddly, she's proven herself to be a little demon already. (abigail being taken from a King Diamond song).

Attached Files:

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

i just ordered a couple of these retaining clips as well, another US made part, to keep the count high. It locks over the hammer pivot and the trigger pin and prevents wobble, which probably wouldnt have helped in this case, but, they are still a nice safeguard to keep things nice and tight inside. ive used these in several other AK builds, and think theyve helped.

Attached Files:

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

thank you sir!! been building her from a bare reciever for a few months now.

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Keep the tapco packages, ATF asks pull them out. They won't know the difference on that small of a part...

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

as stated, the tapco trigger assembly and the hammer are still in there, ive simply replaced the crappy tapco axis pins with original russian pieces (or romanian thier all in the same box). none of the parts that count towards compliance have been removed. Im NOT going to build an illegal gun, im very much up on what is required by law to meet compliance spec.

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

One day you'll need to teach me how to mount that stock on a RPK receiver.

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

14. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Isn't that a rather large pin to fail? Were you able to figure out why it failed. What put a load on it high enough to snap it? Is there some over travel condition dumping load into the pin? Just thinking out loud.

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

honestly, i think its just made of garbage material. this was the first full from parts build ive ever done, so i used all the kit included parts for each assembly, from the start i was concerned about how the pins even looked, they just had that low quality look to them, but figured they were in the kit, they would work.

ive rebuilt many AK's, and always have used surplus pins and have never had one fail, they are fairly large indeed, 5mm to be exact, but they are machine steel and hardened, i dont believe the tapco pins were hardened, and the coating on them, is some cheap black nasty stuff thats definitely not the standard anodizing.

it very well could have just been a fluke, but, i still know i will never use the tapco pins again. the trigger is nice indeed, removes alot of slop and the dreaded trigger slap, but the pins, will find a way into the trash can immediately and some good ol fashion commie surplus ones put in, in thier place.

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

i actually had a bit of a brainstorm and am working on a captured pin design using parts from my other hobby, r/c vehicles. it will eliminate ANY chance of the pin ever slipping out of its hole, and should be just as strong as the stock pins. i had to order some larger pieces, as the ones i have on hand were all too short to pass thru the reciever, but it looks promising indeed. if it works, and holds up, i'll be using them on all my AK's.

17. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Well what I'm getting at is because it's a kit build and your first is there any way to check the geometry. Is the pin, hammer, and receiver all square. Is the hammer being driven into a stop it shouldn't be that then dumps load into the pivot pin. If the condition still exists and you shoot the gun you can still lose the receiver or worst.

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

to the best of my knowledge, everything is square, using my own personal calipers each step along the way, everything was spot on per the manuals, so i will say yes. but, most definitely something could be slightly out of whack, ive hand tested it about fifty times after replacing the pin and it cycles perfectly, the real test will come again in a few days when i can get back to the range. ive got doctors appointments every day until friday, so hopefully saturday morning i'll be out testing her again!

im definitely not an expert, but ive refurbished some real BAD quality AK's and turned them into super smooth running units, so i THINK i did a good job building this one, and again, like i said, it could have simply been a fluke and just a bad pin. i plan to contact Tapco about it and see what they say regardless, and if it doesnt fire perfectly next weekend, i'll strip it down to a bare reciever and go thru everything bit by bit again. last thing i want is something that isnt safe!!

19. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

i really would like to know how the AK groups at 100, i am debating building one and know its not a "accurate" rifle but if its sub MOA at 100 its workable