school me on bent firing pins

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by greg_r, Sep 4, 2014.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I hear all the stories about bent firing pins. I know the firing pin is the ejector and thought maybe this is why. Now I hear it is from loading with the slide or bolt locked back. I know the first gen carbines did not have a bolt hold open, and am finding where some are disabling the slide catch on the pistols.

In looking at my Hi Point, I can see no way the firing pin can be struck by the magazine or the rounds in it when inserting the magazine. There is ample clearance.

The only way I can see the pin getting bent is maybe a double feed?

Anybody?

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sometimes. Sometimes just from handling it wrong. Sometimes from a cartridge jam, stacking shells, stovepipes, etc.

I think the FP should probably be a better quality steel with a better heat treat, but I also think there should be a FP Block as well. :)

They had a manual hold open but not a Last Round Hold Open. You could lock back the Breach Block manually by pulling the charging bolt to the rear and pushing the sleeve/bushing into the recess in the housing.

Some of the ProMag brand 15 round capacity mags for the 995 "Classic" had a specially designed follower which would rise far enough after the last round to physically block the Breach Block and act like a LRHO. They fell out of favor very quickly because they'd not function reliably (feed or LRHO) and sometimes would bend the FP.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

3. greg_r

How prevalent is the issue? I seem to hear a lot about it. Wanting a PCC and thinking about the 4095. Wondering if I would de better to invest in another upper instead?

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It doesn't appear to be that frequent. One of the ranges that I go to has a 995 "Classic" and a 995TS in their Rental section and have done so for years. They claim the HP carbines are among their more popular rentals. They'd never keep them in there if they were having to replace firing pins with any frequency.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Ya know? You're a pretty smart guy. Stove pipes, FTFs, any of that crap can do it. Takes rather aggressive mag insertion to do it or having the mag base not seated properly so it inserts deeper..

6. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Makes me wonder if I should order a couple of firing pins for "just in case."

Are the FP's the same through the models? All I have right now is a 4095, and JHP45.

I did see a C9 with 4 mags and other stuff for $200..............must resist! Need AR!

7. So how many folks here do you think know what a slant six is? :confused:

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

For those that don't know? It is a heavy nearly indestructible dependable source of "motor"vation. Quite frankly if you don't know? You're still OK in my book. It is a line to bring the Mopar guys out in the open.

;)

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Bulletproof. That's all I have to say.

10. I've only ever seen two blown up. Sadly, the second one lived in my 1981 D150 pick up. :(

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

How many know who Boris "The Bullet Dodger" is? AKA Boris "The Blade."

Then you never saw the movie "Snatch." If you were curious you can always research it. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs[/ame]

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Trying to get back to my dorm one night in my 74 Dart. She started tapping as soon as I hit the highway. As I continued on my 70mph journey the tap became a rap that begot a knock giving birth to a drum solo till eventually "BANG". I can only assume this is the point when my push rod exited straight through the oil pan. I assume because all I knew was the horrible noises had gone away and I was still going 70mph. The remaining 30 or so miles were rather uneventful and it was a rather peaceful 2am when I parked her in the dorm lot. Unfortunately, she did not start the next morning.

So I have mad love for the 225, no matter how many starters they burn up.

13. greg_r

Had a 225 slant six in a 1980 Volare. A bunch of direct connection parts, an offenhouser intake and a trio of webers and it would run with any small block out there.

14. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

I drove local taxi's for a while, in the mid 70's, part time in college. All the cars had slant six's, well over 175,000 miles on them, and rarely shut off. When fueling up, we'd say "fill up the oil and check the gas". The rings would go but it was hard to spin a bearing on them if they had oil. You just chug and shake and smoke on down the road, lol.

15. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

With carbines, it usually happens when you've had a major jam up (FTF/FTE), but if it's not bent too drastically you can straighten it and use it until you can get a replacement from HP. It is one of many weak points of the design, but like some of the other weak points, they aren't bad enough where you can't work around them. Probably any changes in design would raise the price, and slowly move it from its affordability, which is a major selling point for HP.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

There are people who don't? :confused:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Sadly, yes.... :(
    These kids today, not to mention the non-motorheads.....

18. I'll take a slant 6 and a torque flight tranny any day of the week. It was the torsion bar suspension and body rot that eventually killed my Dart.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My buddy had a Gremlin with the slant 6 and the 3 speed stick shift...he schooled more than one stock Camaro and Mustang back in the day.:p

We drove that thing up the coast of Oregon into Washington and then back down 97 one summer. Great trip:)

20. Never saw a Gremmie with a slant six, either it was an inline six (232 or 258 CI) or somebody did a transplant. :confused: