Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off saying that I would probably buy one, I want one just from reading all the hype. But Im curious if it is simply the larger caliber people are after, or is there some ballistics difference between the two? I did buy my 4095 slightly used VS a new 9mm version for only a lil more money due to its more powerfull cartridge.

Is the .45 that much more powerfull? How does it stack up for longer range shooting. Better Ballistics? Higher cost for ammo?

Fill me in.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Seems to me like it would be slightly more powerful than the .40 S&W. More of a look what I got deal.

·
1,792 Posts
Poor mans Thompson.:p:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
The idea of hurling .45 caliber 230 grain ball down range out of a light, handy, and not to mention inexpensive package like the Hi Point carbine is reason enough.
In any case, .45 ACP is like baseball or apple pie. Many American shooters will accept no substitute in a pistol cartridge.

·
Registered
312 Posts
IMHO I bought my 995 because I also shoot 9mm in a handgun (well that and it's about the least expensive centerfire ammo you can get).

I also have a nice 1911A1 so matching that caliber in a carbine would make some sense?

FWIW, my LGS just got in a KRISS 45 carbine (quite pricey) and put it in their rental rack. I will be giving it try this weekend. Way cool look and interesting mechanicals.

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I think we just like guns... I got the 4095 because I have a XD40. I have since gotten a 1911, so I want a 4595 because my pistol is lonely. IT TOLD ME SO. It's that simple.
the KRISS is an interesting weapon, but how many HP carbines could you buy for the price of one of those? I guess if you have the $$$$ and want it bad enough, go for it.
It looks like a ray gun.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Like most of the "black" rifles, the KRISS is priced beyond my meager budget for sure. But for a one time rental, snicks & giggles, it's worth spending the $12 and a box or two of FMJ.

My 995 is plenty fine for the likes of me - :wink:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head. There is a WANT for it. Also, +1 on Thayldt21's comment.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
The idea of hurling .45 caliber 230 grain ball down range out of a light, handy, and not to mention inexpensive package like the Hi Point carbine is reason enough.
In any case, .45 ACP is like baseball or apple pie. Many American shooters will accept no substitute in a pistol cartridge.
You hit it on the head with the apple pie statement.

I already hurl 180 grain ball downrange at a faster velocity out of my 4095. Is that 50 grain difference all of that important?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Poor mans Tompson I can understand!

I was wondering if the .45 would be another notch above the .40 like the .40 is above the 9MM. Is the info I was given correct that the S&W .40 is better ballistically than the .45? I guess if its faster it must be, but Im new at the bang bang gun thing and I would like to sort out in my head a caliber to build forward on.

My brother ragged on me for going with the .40 as he has several 9MM hand guns. He felt if I had gone with the same caliber he uses that we could trade off and shoot each others guns whenever we want.

Which is true, but I dont enjoy shooting his Glocks.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Poor mans Thompson.:p:)
BINGO

.45 is the shit, how often do we really shoot our carbines at long range? not much. but the .45 will gladly do it and have plenty of knock down. When it finally comes out I will probably get one partially for the consolidation of calibers.

But I won't stop lovin the 4095, She's gonna get a new style stock too :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
The .45 ACP is an old cartridge built to replace the .45 Colt in the Army inventory. It is ballistically identical to the .45 Colt. Is it better than a .40 S&W? Consider that it was designed to stop a Philipino(?) on drugs during the Philipine Insurrection in the early 1900's.

There is no doubt that the .40 S&W is a newer and higher pressure cartridge. Is the .45 a step up in stopping power. Maybe. However, the .45 ACP has been getting the job of stopping BG's done for almost 100 years now. It's hard to argue with that kind of reputation and combat statistics. Plus, it's just plain ol' fun to shoot!!!

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I'd rather have a Thompson, but I hear the new ones are prob lo matic.
Some jackass at a gun show last month was trying to sell an airsoft Thompson for $1k. I just can't understand crap like that.

I will wait on forum members to weigh in before the new stock goes on mine.
Wolves, you can still trade off, just make sure he chips in for ammo. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers.

The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a .45?"

The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a .46."
'nuff sed

·
Registered
247 Posts
You hit it on the head with the apple pie statement.

I already hurl 180 grain ball downrange at a faster velocity out of my 4095. Is that 50 grain difference all of that important?
No, I figure it probably feels about the same on the receiving end. It is a matter of want more than need. I want a .45 carbine and pistol combo, much like the 9mm set up I have now.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers.

The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a .45?"

The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a .46."
'nuff sed
Then why aren't we all yelling for a .44 mag or a .50 ? :? Both are more powerful than the .45 acp

Don't take me wrong, I have a 45JHP myself, but its more of a want than a need for the 45 carbine.

I had a Thompson look a like .45 semi auto many years ago. Fun yes, but it didn't do anything that the 4095 cant do as well in all honesty.

If I had my preference, I would rather have a Ruger 1044 carbine. Now the .44 magnum shell in a carbine is a definite step up in stopping power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
waltham41, if you want a real step up. Puma is making a .455 casual lever action. (Oh, I do want one!) It's just a .45 Colt round that is a bit longer. Sort of a .38 sp to a .357 mag.

I'd like to see a step to 10mm. Instead of the .40 cal. Yes the 10mm is more expensive, but lots more Oomph.

Just my $0.03 worth.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
That must be a heck of a rifle wd6bgn.

I would love to check out a 10mm pistol, have never seen one but would be interested because of the extra power of the round.

Am I correct that it can be said that the 10mm would outperform the .45acp in just about every way?

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I wonder what would have to be done to a 4095 to get it to shoot 10mm? Are the mags too small (short) for one to fit in it?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Honestly in retrospect i would have rather picked up a .40 rather than my .45, at the time i wasnt plannin on getting a same caliber combo but now that i am i really think that a 40 would out perform a 45 in the carbine and be cheaper to shoot, and thats always a good thing, and i wouldnt have to wait on the 4595 to hit production. On a side note i realize the C9, 995 combo would be just a effective and way cheaper to shoot I just prefer the design of the larger frame pistols.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts