Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anybody figured out a way to mount a scope while keeping the iron sights on and functional? Pics of such?

Bushman's long rail for the factory stock, with rail mounted AR or HK BUIS and a reddot is probably in the works. Just looking for other options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just picked up a 995 yesterday and wondered if you found a solution? I've a an optical scope mounted ABOVE the iron sights, but couldn't tell about the mounts... any ideas for the 995 newb? :embarrassed2:

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got one of these (scroll down a bit to see Hi Point mount)

http://www.gungarage.com/scope_mounts.htm

The mount itself is pretty good. It's solid, but the finish is not great. The rings that come with it are terrible. They come loose after about two rounds. The problem stems from the size of the rail - I believe it's a 3/8" dovetail like you would see on a .22 or an air rifle. It is not a normal picatinny size. I'm thinking there are 3/8' to weaver adaptors out there, but those will just add more height to what is already close to being too high.

I think this mount can be made to work. If you don't mind the ergonomics of it, you'll figure out a way for it to be successful. Loctite maybe?

G

·
I plan on putting a rail in forward on the ATI stock and placing an extended eye relief scope there with a quick detach mount. That way I can shoot with a scope and still easily take it off and have the sights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Alright Leatherneck, spill the beans brother! Whose mount is that & how do I get 1?

And of course Semper Fi!
It came from here:

It works great for me, I had to modify the rail a little bit to accept regular weaver rings, but it was a piece of cake.

I plan on mounting an accessory rail on the side of the mount for an aftermarket laser (I don't like the HP laser), and flashlight!

·
Registered
11 Posts

The problem stems from the size of the rail - I believe it's a 3/8" dovetail like you would see on a .22 or an air rifle. It is not a normal picatinny size.
That should work well with the Powerline (Daisy) 3-9x32 I scored in a $15 gunsafe. I attempted to latch it on the HP rail, but found that it has the narrow clamps... :reallysad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
What I did was this:

Took a piece of steel cleaning rod (came with one of my ak's). I cut it to length with my dremel tool. I stuck it under the lip on one side of the mount, and attached the rings. It fits perfectly!! The little piece of cleaning rod makes it almost exactly the same size as a weaver rail. If your real creative with a dremel tool, you can do just about anything to make it fit...

This fix took me about 5 minutes....

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is really cool looking... I was going to go with an EOTech clone but I like the idea of being able to use iron sights as well, arrgghhhh these 995s have too many options...

Jim

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I'd like to see something that would work with the out of the box stock. There is no ATI stock for my 4095 and quite honestly I have not shot a 995 that had the ATI stock so I don't know if there is any benefit other than aesthetics.

I'm not sure if an extra "L" shaped plate under the iron sites (with longer hex screws) would work out.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
found this on milsurpstuff in the hipoint gallery:

http://milsurpstuff.com/images/hphiscpmt1.jpg

there's no info on what equipment was used or how sturdy this set up is but it's good to see that your idea has been done. this one has a red dot sight posted above existing sight.
I looked and unless they removed it i could not find it under the Hi Point gallery of goodies. How does it mt. I'd like a heads up site and still retain my originals --RR--

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have the same mount as pictured above by Leatherneck it works but isn't very solid. i found the right mounts for the rail at my local shop so that was no big deal but what i found was there is a lot of side movement because it is sheet metal mounted only on one side with the mount bolts (factory receiver to stock bolts) about 3 inches below the rail or 4 inches below the center of the scope. you can see this in Leatherneck's last picture. this makes some side movement unavoidable with recoil, remember even the tiniest movement at the scope can equal inches or even feet off at the target. I'm now looking in to modifying it to add a support to the open side of the mount to eliminate the side movement or saving up to get a rail, raised mounts, and compatible after market rear site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.