Scope Mount Question

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by wingman, Dec 24, 2014.

1. wingman

wingman Member

I have finally decided to purchase a 995 TS. I want to put a Tasco World Class Bantam 1.5x4.5 Scope on the carbine because of the variable magnification below 4 power. I need to know what kind of rings will fit the upper rail of the carbine and this 1" scope correctly. Specific recommendations as well as general "type" recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

2. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I would replace the rail if you are going to mount a scope on the carbine. You can get aluminum rails for under $50. I realize $50 is a lot of money but your scope will hold zero.

When you combine a polymer rail and a sheet metal cover for the receiver you need the extra support the aluminum rail provides. Plus the Picatinny rail opens the door to a lot of inexpensive high strength mounts. The rail will pay for it's self over the life of your carbine many times over, not to mention peace of mind knowing your scope will be close to zero, even after you clean the gun.

If you decide not to get an aluminum rail I would use weaver quad lock rings or weaver steel rings.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

The weaver-style rings that came with my scope worked perfectly on my 4095TS. You'll want to set your rings as close to directly above the rail mount screws as possible to reduce flex in the rail as it is plastic. MOST picatinny systems adhere to the milspec requirements. You will notice that the grooves on the rail of the 995 aren't all uniform thus making them a weaver style. The grooves and center-to-center spacing aren't consistent on the 995 and the grooves might not be wide enough to accept a picatinny ring as THAT system uses a .206 wide pin and groove vs the weaver's .180 groove and pin. My 4095 has grooves of various widths that will accept both picatinny and weaver system pins, but I found that sticking with the weaver rings gave me the most options when locating them on my rail to position the scope where I wanted it.

You may have inadvertently just fired up the weaver/picatinny/proprietary rail conversation though.

4. wingman

wingman Member

Johnny,

Can you direct me to an aluminum rail that will work for the top mount? All these pieces and parts are new to me and I don't want to buy something that will not work. Thanks for your help!

Rachgier,

I hope I did not open a can of worms with my question. I don't want a debate, just something that works. Thanks for your reply!

5. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I honestly don't understand the need to change out rails.

Yes they are polymer...which is good enough, strong enough and stable enough to serve as the frame for semi auto pistols.

If you tighten the screws down correctly, everything stays put. People say they shift, they crush, they lose zero...but mine never have.

Get your scope, strap it on. If at some point, you feel like things need to be better, buy the new rail then.

But you don't really need to, right now.

7. Rachgier

My scope held zero just fine on the 4095. So did every other aftermarket optic I put on it before moving back to the irons. I don't want to paint everyone that had zero issues with the same brush but it could have simply been ring placement on the rail, and/or putting the wrong style pins in the wrong width grooves.

EDIT: By placement, I am referring to distance between the rings. Some people have this weird fetish with placing their rings as close to the turrets as possible.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  8. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I have never mounted an optic on a carbine. I did mount my flashlight with a scope ring. I torqued the mounting screw to 60 inch pounds just like I would if was mounting a scope. I made sure nothing was bound up before I tightened the mounting screw. When I was finished I could see a bow in the rail. I need a rail that will allow me to instal rings to the ring manufacturers instructions. It is almost universal to torque the small screws that hold the scope in place to 30 inch pounds and the large mounting screw to 60 inch pounds.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    On the top rail?:confused:

And those of us that have actually mounted an optic are telling you, it works fine.

I've seen that recommended. I've also seen 25 inch lbs. Just depends on the ring, and how it's built.

Almost universal isn't actually universal.;)

And are we talking about the rail under the muzzle, or the one on top? They aren't the same animal, at all.

10. wingman

wingman Member

I will try it first with the Hi Point rail. It that doesn't get the job done, I know where to find the aluminum rail, now. Thanks for all the information. You guys are teaching me a lot!

11. Rachgier

60#'s on a flashlight huh? I bet that thing isn't going anywhere. If you used the stock under-barrel rail, you (over) torqued something on a finger-tight press fit (barely) piece of rail. I'm not surprised it twisted up. Hell, the rail on my 4095 came curved. It is no longer attached to the stock. I went with the side-rail kit from mom and it holds my flashlight and laser rock solid. I've mounted 3 scopes, and 4 different red dots to my 4095 just to see what they could do.

I am willing to bet we had the same puzzled look. That bottom rail is about as sturdy as a pool noodle.