Scope problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Ncbill72, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Ncbill72

Ncbill72 Member

I recently purchased a 4095TS, and decided to stick a scope on it. My problem is that my elevation is maxed out on the scope and I can not adjust any further.
    I was hoping to zero in at 75 yards, but with the maxed elevation I am zero at 50. Should I order an aftermarket aluminum rail to replace this factory plastic? Should I take it to a gunsmith and have the picatinny rail shimmed?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I would order a new rail from Longshot. He builds rails exclusively for HP's. I would get the longest rail, so you can put your iron sights back on & use a scope or a red dot at the same time.

http://longshotmanufacturing.com/

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I scoped my 4095 and was easily able to zero at 75 yards.

It's a Weaver-ish rail, not a pic.

It's possible that the stud on your ring is too wide for the groove in the rail. If so a rat tail file will widen and deepen the slot to allow the ring base to seat completely flush with the rail.

You would shim the scope on the ring, not the ring to the rail. I use soda cans and cut strips of it for shims.

Did you by chance mount a ring on a section of rail with the elevated screw hole for the stock rear irons?

4. Ncbill72

Ncbill72 Member

I didn't want to shim the scope rings. I have been told that can torgue the scope barrel after repeated recoil. I just wrote long shot manufacturing to ask about a replacement 20 MOA rail.

5. Rachgier

I don't know who told you that, or where they got it from. I've shimmed rings on several high powered rifles with zero ill effect on the scopes. Plus it's a PCC. The recoil is negligible.

I would check how the rings are mounted to the rail while you're waiting on the rail from Longshot.

6. Ncbill72

Ncbill72 Member

The rings seem to be seated flush on the rail from what I can see. I didn't want to go all into the wallet, so just ordered a scope on amazon. Got a C-Life 6x24x50 scope that came with peep thru scope mounts for Weaver or pic rails.
    I just did a "beer can" shim under the back of the rail. Took 4 shims to get the shots into a 4 inch bullseye at 75 yards (if I aim at top of bullseye, I hit the bottom)

7. Rachgier

Hmmm...

Without the ability to look at it, all I can do is throw out random ideas. Something is definitely off though.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Shimming one ring is a great way to "torque a scope"...

At 75 yards you should not need a 20 MOA rail. Something Amiss, Big Time!

9. Rachgier

Who shims a single ring?

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Switch the rings around. You can swap them around front to back or spin them around. If that doesnt work get new rings. But also rezero you scope with a mirror first

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  12. Rachgier

My sarcasm injector must have been broken there. It's kind of hard to get an elevation change without one ring having a bit more shim then the other.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ahhhh...I just ignored that part of Underground's post because it was so...wrong.:rofl:

Of course, I agreed with the other part.

14. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

First thing I would do is center the reticle , this can be done finding out how many clicks total movement for both windage and elevation from one end of the adjustment to the other . Once you know total clicks for ea adjustment divide in half that number . Let's say it took 64 clicks to move either windage or elevation from one side to the other . So you would go back 32 clicks , your scopes reticle is now centered

Next turn both the elev and windage turrets until both reach the center of adjustment . Your scope is now centered now by using a bore laser or bullet laser adjust both turrets to your preference ,this should get you onto paper at the range

Now at the range sight in were you want it at and your scope should have plenty of adjustment and shouldn't max out like you've experienced

15. Rachgier

Unless the scope is fragged, the rings aren't set properly on the rail, the rail is tweaked, the receiver cover is muffed, or all of the above. He added an eighth of an inch in shims to still be off? This isn't a simple re-zero and bore sight issue.

16. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

I had a POS NC Star 4x32 scope and I had the same problem . I called NC Star and they said to re center the reticle just as I mentioned previously and once I did this the scope had plenty of adjustment . This scope didn't have ring mounts just a quick release mount

Sadly after about 200 rds the scope fragged with an X Marks the spot reticle . Took that scope to the range and with my .308 bolt rifle and at 200 yrds properly dispatched it with (3) 180 grain Winchester super X rds , There was not much left of that scope after the fun !!!

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Sounded like the OP did, but I re-read his post

:p Ajole :p

With a severely recoiling platform and a big misalignment,
    it is possible to torque a scope tube, maybe... But the 995
    and his situation fits none of these criteria. Plus, the flexible
    "rail" is prolly gonna move and re-align the ring to tube :D