Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small scope that would go nicely on either carbine. My question is which caliber, the 9 or the 45 , would be better able to use the increase sight distance the scope will give me? The scope is a Russian PU 3.5 power.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,796 Posts
I have a small scope that would go nicely on either carbine. My question is which caliber, the 9 or the 45 , would be better able to use the increase sight distance the scope will give me? The scope is a Russian PU 3.5 power.
That would be your choice and what your doing with them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be your choice and what your doing with them
Just punching paper, iron sights are getting too difficult to see. I guess the better question would be, which cartridge has the better trajectory ?

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Just punching paper, iron sights are getting too difficult to see. I guess the better question would be, which cartridge has the better trajectory ?
9mm will be flatter of course, but the question he was really asking was; at what range? If you're going to keep it under 50, you'll be fine either way. Honestly they'll both benefit from the scope at 100y, so it's going to be a matter of personal preference.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
My question is which caliber, the 9 or the 45
Get both.
I couldn't decide between the 995TS and the 4095TS.
I have thousands of rounds in both calibers.
So I bought them both. They're not that expensive.
And if you get both you can decide which one you like more and put the scope on it.
But your main concern should be which ammo you have or which ammo is available and the cost to buy more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get both.
I couldn't decide between the 995TS and the 4095TS.
I have thousands of rounds in both calibers.
So I bought them both. They're not that expensive.
And if you get both you can decide which one you like more and put the scope on it.
But your main concern should be which ammo you have or which ammo is available and the cost to buy more.
I have both carbines, it's just deciding which to mount the scope on.

·
Premium Member
21,120 Posts
That looks really slick. These guys didn't have a grip on optics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the range today. Took a few rounds to get it on paper, and a few more to fine tune it. Iron sights are getting more difficult for my ageing eyes so the scope made it a pleasure to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Went to the range today. Took a few rounds to get it on paper, and a few more to fine tune it. Iron sights are getting more difficult for my ageing eyes so the scope made it a pleasure to shoot.
I had cataract/lens replacement surgery last March (left) and June (right). Well worth it, I can see the target at 50yds clearly now using iron sights. Medicare will pay for the "Standard Government Issue" lenses, but if you have an astigmatism the lenses (Toric) like I got will cost you the equivalent of 8-9 995s (and I still didn't have enough to itemize my taxes!).

I still have to wear readers out to about 2 feet but beyond that I can see everything, which is just the opposite of what I used to have from wearing glasses for 60yrs.

That said I still use scopes periodically and use a spotter scope to see where the holes are, only because I don't want to walk to the target every time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had cataract/lens replacement surgery last March (left) and June (right). Well worth it, I can see the target at 50yds clearly now using iron sights. Medicare will pay for the "Standard Government Issue" lenses, but if you have an astigmatism the lenses (Toric) like I got will cost you the equivalent of 8-9 995s (and I still didn't have enough to itemize my taxes!).

I still have to wear readers out to about 2 feet but beyond that I can see everything, which is just the opposite of what I used to have from wearing glasses for 60yrs.

That said I still use scopes periodically and use a spotter scope to see where the holes are, only because I don't want to walk to the target every time.
I Think I'm getting close to needing that surgery, my eye Dr said I should consider it. That was before the covid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts