Scratched JHP, Solution needed

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Cybafish20, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

So when I purchased my JHP, it looked fine at first, but when I inspected it closer, I noticed a very small fleck of the finish had come off.

I don't know how to repair the finish, and I would eventually like to have a custom coat put on it instead but for right now I would like to know how to just repair the current coat.

I put permanent marker on the zinc alloy so it was not unsightly (it is right on the back of the slide, where you would see it while shooting)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

3. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

I was hoping for something that would be similar or exactly the same as the finish, while paint would help aesthetically, it is not really what I am looking for.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It may not be exactly the same, but short of the "right" paint, it's the best you'll get.

Since you are going to coat it anyway...black fingernail polish or model enamel will do it. If it's unsightly to you, that will motivate you to get it coated sooner.:p

I guess this gun would have you rolling on the floor in a fit? I keep it around to drive guys like you crazy.:D

And it really drives them over the edge when it out shoots their beauty queen 10/22.;)

[​IMG]

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Either fire up your oven and re-powder coat it or touch it up with black paint. Your choice.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I've touched up with a black sharpie lol

7. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Mask off the spot and hit it with Rustoleum. Just one coat will last forever and is impervious to solvent. Make sure you degrease first. Rubbing alcohol works.

8. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

Not really, I have a pistol that looks worse than that (but shoots great to this day, I just bought it used is all), I am just trying to take care of a gun while I have the choice and chance to, and was wondering how I could go about applying some sort of finish in a very small amount - instead of refinishing the entire gun

I have a lot of other things to do before I will be putting out money to get a Cerakote finish on it - and that finish will probably just be black with some highlights for the front sight post/safety etc... functional, not flashy.

Aesthetics are not my primary goal.

I know you can touch up guns that have blueing wearing off in spots on them, I was wondering if the same thing applied to this in any way.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ah...I think I get it.

No worries, the Zamack won't rust, it oxidizes a tiny bit, but no need to protect it, really.

10. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

I'd just like to protect it entirely, I was hoping a sort of patch kit was available but no such luck there

I remember that some knives with a coating on them could be fixed with a liquid that solidified into a ceramic or a plastic or whatever it was.

It's only 60 bucks or so to get the entire slide coated with Cerakote ceramic.

So this was just meant to be temporary, at most a year. Since it would see heavy use and a lot of environments as well,I knew it would risk scratches or oxidation.

I would like to prevent any damage or unintentional oxidation if possible.
    I feel better about and more confident in my fire arms if I do the utmost to care for them - might seem silly to some since guns are meant to take abuse, but I only abuse them when I really have to :p

11. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    Birchwood Casey super black paint pen. They sell at gun stores for about $6. I put a dot of paint on the slide before I took this picture. Can you tell were it is?

Attached Files:

12. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

I don't see it at all. Does it feel like it was thick enough to protect the slide?
    It matches the color perfectly.

Also I really wish they made that compensator for the 45 or somebody knew how to put one of the 45 - or made a custom attachment for the JHP

13. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    The thickness is pretty good. If it's not thick enough, you could always add a second coat.

14. Yea I think so. Right there at the take down notches?

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Protect the slide from what, exactly?

It's Zamack, it doesn't need any protection, really. Hose it off with water, dry it off, wipe a bit of oil on it. Good to go.

That would be cool.:)

It wouldn't be too hard for the factory to do it, really.

16. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

I found a place that sells powder coat aerosol touch up cans, now I just need to match the color of black.