Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, new member here. . . after doing some research i have learned that "trigger kits" from different companies are a bad idea for these carbines. After going through pages and pages of mostly arguing and insults lol . . . . it actually did lead me to one legit question.

Do the stock springs ever weaken to a point to where they can fail and cause these carbines to run away?

And if so, is there is a certain point of wear or certain round count fired through the gun before we should be replacing these springs??

***I know this topic gets a little touchy when its brought up. . so just everyone is clear. . this question IS NOT in regards to aftermarket sear springs, trigger kits or whatever anyone wants to call them lol .. but for the factory spring itself***

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
Do the stock springs ever weaken to a point to where they can fail and cause these carbines to run away?
Thanks for that clarification, that's a very good question. Speaking from personal experience, I have never had a Hi-Point sear spring weaken to that point, never had a Hi-Point go off full auto on me.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
hello all, new member here. . . after doing some research i have learned that "trigger kits" from different companies are a bad idea for these carbines. After going through pages and pages of mostly arguing and insults lol . . . . it actually did lead me to one legit question.

And if so, is there is a certain point of wear or certain round count fired through the gun before we should be replacing these springs??

***I know this topic gets a little touchy when its brought up. . so just everyone is clear. . this question IS NOT in regards to aftermarket sear springs, trigger kits or whatever anyone wants to call them lol .. but for the factory spring itself***

Thanks in advance.
Finally a person thats not retarded and can read. Welcome.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.

after the amount of research i did and looking at animations of how the internal action works. . its kind of scary considering springs are simply known to break down after time. you'd think at some point even the stock spring is prone to some sort of failure or wear, but hopefully hi point just went overkill and its just not an area of concern.

good stuff. . . appreciate yall

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Any spring can wear out through use. I don't know how many repeated compressions and releases of the stock spring it would take, but I've never heard of anyone who'd worn out the stock spring.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
its kind of scary considering springs are simply known to break down after time.
A LONG time. I have guns which date back to WWII and I've shot guns which predate WWI. The springs are still good.

you'd think at some point even the stock spring is prone to some sort of failure or wear
They do. But modern springs are way better than a lot of people seem to give them credit for. Many can operate for hundreds of thousands of cycles just fine. In firearms, the two most vulnerable springs are the recoil spring and the magazine spring. Both tend to be long and have a great deal of forceful compression/decompression over a comparatively great length, rather quickly.

I mean, think of cars. How often do the suspension springs in cars actually wear out? Yeah, it happens. But it's comparatively rare and they carry thousands of pounds, daily, over potholes and country roads and teenage drivers and stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good stuff everyone. . . thats comforting to hear.

now maybe by the time 3030 rolls around, 9mm can be found and we can actually get these things back out at the range lol

this one has been unfired since transferring it into the bullpup stock.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Any spring can wear out through use. I don't know how many repeated compressions and releases of the stock spring it would take, but I've never heard of anyone who'd worn out the stock spring.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
What if the OEM spring broke? Wouldnt it become shorter and weaker?

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,392 Posts
I
A LONG time. I have guns which date back to WWII and I've shot guns which predate WWI. The springs are still good.

They do. But modern springs are way better than a lot of people seem to give them credit for. Many can operate for hundreds of thousands of cycles just fine. In firearms, the two most vulnerable springs are the recoil spring and the magazine spring. Both tend to be long and have a great deal of forceful compression/decompression over a comparatively great length, rather quickly.

I mean, think of cars. How often do the suspension springs in cars actually wear out? Yeah, it happens. But it's comparatively rare and they carry thousands of pounds, daily, over potholes and country roads and teenage drivers and stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
My '79 Dodge van leaf springs. Swapped in some used 1 ton springs. Flat. 72 Duster springs, 70 Coronet Super Bee springs, just to name a few.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
My '79 Dodge van leaf springs. Swapped in some used 1 ton springs. Flat. 72 Duster springs, 70 Coronet Super Bee springs, just to name a few.
So after 40 to 60 years of hard use. Like I said.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ive had AK's that i had to replace springs in and a couple times had some buffer tube detent springs fail in an AR. . . that coupled with the concerns of MCARBO springs weakening over time and stuff just prompted me to ask the question about the stock springs is all. From the replies, it seems as if the stock springs are durable enough to last the life of the rifle. . thats all i want

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
ive had AK's that i had to replace springs in and a couple times had some buffer tube detent springs fail in an AR. . . that coupled with the concerns of MCARBO springs weakening over time and stuff just prompted me to ask the question about the stock springs is all. From the replies, it seems as if the stock springs are durable enough to last the life of the rifle. . thats all i want
And Hipoint mails out free replacement parts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea, iv'e heard great things about their customer support.

i was so excited to finally get this build done then ((((BOOM)))) .... COVID and Democrats happened

Now i just get to sit and stare at it because im unwilling to burn through my precious .9mm ammo lol. So i guess its a good time to research and ask all these crazy little questions

1 - 17 of 17 Posts