Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, let's hear what you think. I have punched many a whole in paper with the usual...BB, WWB and PMC. I still have yet to shoot any defensive ammo through my 995 or c9. Do I really need anything beside the range stuff? Really, if I intend to use my weapons against BGs then I really don't intend to just pull the trigger once. ( 1shot 1kill withstanding). In a defensive situation, I'd expect 4 or 5 rounds will do the trick, right?

For those jhp and +P+ enthusiasts, what kind and why? What does your HP like?

Thanks for the interest. Bulldog87

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hollow Points cause larger wounds causing faster incapacitation due to faster blood loss, then there is the issue of over penetration using fmj and poss causing injuries to someone unintended.

As to the ammo, depends what you are shooting caliber wise. For my .45 I like Golden Sabers, for 9mm or .380 I prefer Hornadys new SD ammo ( a hollow point with silicone type substance in the tip) it improves expansion through clothing where regular hollow points might clog and not expand.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Remmington has a very inexpensive HP round available in bulk. Just a tad more than WWB. It could be used for both target and SD. While not state of the art, it will do better then FMJ for SD.

Otherwise, whatever you have on hand will certainly outperform nothing at all. It's good to have the best you can for SD, but I'd argue it's better to have what you know and trust. I hit with a FMJ round will be infinately more effective than a miss with anything else.

/end my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hollow Points cause larger wounds causing faster incapacitation due to faster blood loss, then there is the issue of over penetration using fmj and poss causing injuries to someone unintended.

As to the ammo, depends what you are shooting caliber wise. For my .45 I like Golden Sabers, for 9mm or .380 I prefer Hornadys new SD ammo ( a hollow point with silicone type substance in the tip) it improves expansion through clothing where regular hollow points might clog and not expand.
I shoot a 995 and c9. Will I have trouble feeding these ammos into the HPs since they are somewhat finicky about ammo.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
You really need to try different stuff. i like winchester ranger +P+ in my 995 and c9comp. remember you really need to put a few of those rounds down range to makes sure they will feed properly. It will be more expensive, but your life is worth it right??? Also FMJ rounds will tend to whix through things and generally have very poor expansion. get some JHp for HD.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Federal Tactical HST is available from Ammunition to go.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I also like the Winchester Ranger +P+ 115gr. I haven't fired a lot of it but so far I have not had a single problem when shooting it in my C9 or my 995.
It also has really good expansion.

Those milk jugs didn't stand a chance :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
you know i was just thinking about this the other day, when i was a kid growing up in the 70,s hollow points where not as common as they are now, most bullets were just lead ball ammo, but now the ammo used back then is called target ammo?. for some reason i just use ball ammo in all my guns i must just like the old days i think, when i hold a 45 cal bullet in my hand i think this has got to hurt. :cantlook:

·
Registered
438 Posts
So, assuming a 9mm hollow point (or other type of expanding round) round - what weight bullet?
Super light (<100gr)?
115gr range?
125gr range?
145gr range?

I have some Aguila 9mm IQ (86gr "smart" hollowpoint) that I'd thought I would use as SD rounds, then heard bad things about the superlights.
My backup was some 145gr hollowpoints - figuring that if I lost some velocity in a short barrel that at least I could get ~.38Special performance from the heavier bullet - then heard that the heavy-grain bullets "never expanded."
Now, I'm just plain confused, and want to be able to practice with rounds with as close to the same weight bullet as I carry for SD.

Edit: I realize that whatever I choose, I have to shoot enough of that one to be sure that it feeds reliably and doesn't jam. I also apologize if I've hijacked the thread, but wasn't comfortable starting a new one. :embarrassed2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with Vanguard on this. I can remember 50 years ago our police here in my town carried nothing but .38 special lead ball ammo. When you read or saw a police action with shooting, the bad guys were usually DRN (dead right now) or alive but totally incapacitated from 1 or 2 .38's! I likewise use FMJ ammo in most of my guns except my .357. I usually know where I am aiming and live in a brick house so there's little chance of a FMJ getting out of the house unless through a window. I have heard that a lot of perps today are getting high tech and wearing kevlar when they do a break-in. FMJ can penetrate Kevlar at close range if used in the right caliber.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I agree with Vanguard on this. I can remember 50 years ago our police here in my town carried nothing but .38 special lead ball ammo. When you read or saw a police action with shooting, the bad guys were usually DRN (dead right now) or alive but totally incapacitated from 1 or 2 .38's! I likewise use FMJ ammo in most of my guns except my .357. I usually know where I am aiming and live in a brick house so there's little chance of a FMJ getting out of the house unless through a window. I have heard that a lot of perps today are getting high tech and wearing kevlar when they do a break-in. FMJ can penetrate Kevlar at close range if used in the right caliber.
like 7.62x39 8) seriously though 7.62x25 pistol ammo has been known to defeat light body armor.

Having said that I load my 995 with 147 grain Hornady TAP FPD rounds FMJ will always work though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.