Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from what i read and well i wan to know if it is true say your carryingand something happaned you had to defend yourself and your family from a gun attack from what i read your only allowed to shoot the wacko 2 times that the 3rd time would be murder is there any truth to that and do they go over that in the ccw classes or is that a per state law does anyone know??

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Well first of all where did you hear or read this? It doesn't seem to have any logical basis if you shoot twice and miss vitals or whatever, does that mean you can not shoot again to defend yourself? Makes no sense. If it takes emptying the gun to end the threat it takes emptying the gun. I've personally never heard of this. What state are you in?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Check your local laws for yourself... do not trust something this important to what someone else tells you. Self-defense laws are different from state to state, but I have never heard of one that limits one to a specific number of rounds. The "magic" formula is, for the most part, usually the standard "action reasonably determined to end the threat" or similar language. In some cases this might be two shots. In others, one shot might suffice, or it might take a whole magazine... the thing is you are never going to know how many shots it takes to end the threat until the threat is ended.

I can tell you, though, that if you put two rounds in a perp, and he drops his gun and goes down, if you walk over and shoot him a third time while he is lying there bleeding and crying for mommy, you have crossed the line from defense to murder, regardless of what state you are in... well, except maybe Texas.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
all depends on location. in SD the langauge reads, "threat to life or limb", and i was told by the sherrif when i asked for an explination that meant if the person had the ability to injure or kill you (holding somethign that could be used as a weapon) and you felt that they were a threat to your safety, you could apply lethal force without limit.

SW

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
In FL there still has to be a threat to ones life or others (or grave injury) to use lethal force. Like the Pharm in AZ who shot again. Did he still feel he was threatened? Might take a jury to decide on that now.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
In FL there still has to be a threat to ones life or others (or grave injury) to use lethal force. Like the Pharm in AZ who shot again. Did he still feel he was threatened? Might take a jury to decide on that now.
That's a good example of it, had the pharmacist fired all the shots at the same time into the robber there probably would be no problem, leaving him lie there awhile and then coming back to apply a coup de grace put it into a gray area that changed it from self defense to murder in a lot of peoples eyes, of course there was video of that too.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
You shoot till the threat is neutralized. that might take 3 rounds or 13. think of the the california highway patolman who encountered a man on pcp with a knife. they hit hime 30 times. the coroner said he was dead on the 3 rd shot, but because of the drugs he still came, and injured one of the officers.

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
All I know is, I feel in danger for my life as long as the BG is breathing and has a weapon within 20 feet. I'll tell the police the first part, and the other part isn't their business.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Our CWP and SD instructor said once you make the decision to shoot its because you fear for yours or anothers life so you shoot them continuously until the threat is gone and you don't need to anymore. No shoot--look--shoot--look.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I was taught in all my classes to shoot untill the threat was gone if the subject was on the ground and still trying to harm you shoot again. If he is dead or just laying there STOP. This was both at my job [armed security AND for my CWP class]

Oh and I was taught double taps on BOTH shoot, shoot, look, and shoot, shoot, look!

·
Premium Member
36,164 Posts
I am a big fan of controlled pairs until the threat is neutralized.
I could never see someone telling you that you shot too many times unless you continued to fire after the BG was no longer a threat.
Really officer, I was afraid he would come back as a zombie, so after putting all 32 rounds into him, I used the axe....Yes, I WAS in fear for my life the entire time....no really.....didn't you ever see that documentary, Shaun of the Dead? Well, there you go...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I could never see someone telling you that you shot too many times unless you continued to fire after the BG was no longer a threat.
Really officer, I was afraid he would come back as a zombie, so after putting all 32 rounds into him, I used the axe....Yes, I WAS in fear for my life the entire time....no really.....didn't you ever see that documentary, Shaun of the Dead? Well, there you go...
Well son if you had used a cricket bat instead of an ax it woulda been selfe defence. Im afraid you're gonna have to go to jail.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a XD .45, therefore if worst came to worst it would be 26 rounds. I think that would do... :devilsidesmile:

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Shoot until the threat is neutralized. Some believe that an empty gun demonstrates to a jury just how frightened you were. You'd better damn sure be able to demonstrate that you were in fear of life and limb to a jury. Otherwise you're gonna get some new things to fear, like the big greasy axe murderer thinking you're cute that the state will provide you. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by6!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.