Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been looking into getting a new rifle. I've got a PTr 91 GI and an AK 47 now, I've never had an optic on my guns; but i shot my teammates 30-06 yesterday that had a scope on it... it was 100 times more fun than shooting with iron sights. So i want to get a scoped rifle, and ive heard bolt action is more accurate than semi auto. this rifle would be just for target shooting and SHTF, for practice i dont shoot more than 200 yards but for SHTF i could be over 1000 (although i probably wouldnt take the shot that anything over 350.)

My question is, Could i just scope my PTR 91 since i dont shoot that far? or would it be worth it too invest in a bolt action rifle in 308 or 300 winchester? I feel like my PTR could be very accurate, but id need a trigger job on it and i need to practice more. I've been looking into getting an FAL, because i really want to get all black rifles i can before the next election when there will probably be another rush for them, but im really thinking about a bolt action now.

Also would a scope get in the way of a charging handle on the PTR 91? Any recommend?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
21,299 Posts
I'm not an authority on such matters. Palmetto State has a deal today. $299 complete AR10 lower, $499 20" upper. .308/7.62×51. The lower has an upgraded trigger. I love mine.

Reactions: 72cvcc600

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Don't scope the PTR.
Buy a Savage bolt action with an included scope, and you'll be all set until you want to upgrade the scope.
Or buy a used bolt gun at a pawn shop if they have a decent one for a decent price.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don't scope the PTR.
Buy a Savage bolt action with an included scope, and you'll be all set until you want to upgrade the scope.
Or buy a used bolt gun at a pawn shop if they have a decent one for a decent price.
Exactly, there's some good deals on used bolt actions or a package rifle with scope.

Reactions: 72cvcc600

·
Premium Member
21,299 Posts
Walmart's have bolt gun scope deals. Some have Vortex scopes. 6.5, 308, some 30-06.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So ive been looking into getting a new rifle. I've got a PTr 91 GI and an AK 47 now, I've never had an optic on my guns; but i shot my teammates 30-06 yesterday that had a scope on it... it was 100 times more fun than shooting with iron sights. So i want to get a scoped rifle, and ive heard bolt action is more accurate than semi auto. this rifle would be just for target shooting and SHTF, for practice i dont shoot more than 200 yards but for SHTF i could be over 1000 (although i probably wouldnt take the shot that anything over 350.)

My question is, Could i just scope my PTR 91 since i dont shoot that far? or would it be worth it too invest in a bolt action rifle in 308 or 300 winchester? I feel like my PTR could be very accurate, but id need a trigger job on it and i need to practice more. I've been looking into getting an FAL, because i really want to get all black rifles i can before the next election when there will probably be another rush for them, but im really thinking about a bolt action now.

Also would a scope get in the way of a charging handle on the PTR 91? Any recommend?

Thanks for the help
I had the same need last year, and purchased an AR-10 .308 from Palmetto State Armory. It is a solid rifle with a 2-stage boron trigger (upgrade). I made the following upgrades:
Swapped standard charging handle with a Rainier Arms Avalanche ambi, to accomodate the scope.
Added Sniper 4-14x FFP MOA scope.
Swapped standard buffer spring with a Strike Industries flat-wire spring - really smooths out the action and eliminates twang noise in the buffer.
Added Magpul enhanced buttpad to the Magpul STR stock (absorb recoil).
Replaced A2 flash hider with VG6 762 Epsilon brake/comp/flash hider.
Added 2-point sling and Harris-style bipod.

You can get sub-MOA at 100 yards after you find the ammo it likes - usually 168gr. I can hit a 12" plate at 800 yds consistently. I paid $980 for mine last year. They are currently going for about $1,160. Excellent reviews - it's their Gen3. Check it out here -> https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-308-win-ss-lightweight-m-lok-rifle.html

This is mine.

·
Premium Member
21,299 Posts
I had the same need last year, and purchased an AR-10 .308 from Palmetto State Armory. It is a solid rifle with a 2-stage boron trigger (upgrade). I made the following upgrades:
Swapped standard charging handle with a Rainier Arms Avalanche ambi, to accomodate the scope.
Added Sniper 4-14x FFP MOA scope.
Swapped standard buffer spring with a Strike Industries flat-wire spring - really smooths out the action and eliminates twang noise in the buffer.
Added Magpul enhanced buttpad to the Magpul STR stock (absorb recoil).
Replaced A2 flash hider with VG6 762 Epsilon brake/comp/flash hider.
Added 2-point sling and Harris-style bipod.

You can get sub-MOA at 100 yards after you find the ammo it likes - usually 168gr. I can hit a 12" plate at 800 yds consistently. I paid $980 for mine last year. They are currently going for about $1,160. Excellent reviews - it's their Gen3. Check it out here -> https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-308-win-ss-lightweight-m-lok-rifle.html

This is mine.
View attachment 73181
I have a gen 3 upper and lower. G3 has the adjustable gas block. Swapped a ACS-L stock and 2 stage PSA NI-boron. Had to swap to lighter springs to get it to 2.5lbs. Presma ambi charging handle to work around the Primary Arms scope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a gen 3 upper and lower. G3 has the adjustable gas block. Swapped a ACS-L stock and 2 stage PSA NI-boron. Had to swap to lighter springs to get it to 2.5lbs. Presma ambi charging handle to work around the Primary Arms scope.
I haven't adjusted the gas block on my G3. It spits the cases at 3 o'clock, like it should, with the loads I use. And, I don't use a can.
Glad you mentioned the lighter trigger springs - probably my next tweak for it. Although, I've been pretty happy with the 2-stage trigger on it.

·
Premium Member
21,299 Posts
I haven't adjusted the gas block on my G3. It spits the cases at 3 o'clock, like it should, with the loads I use. And, I don't use a can.
Glad you mentioned the lighter trigger springs - probably my next tweak for it. Although, I've been pretty happy with the 2-stage trigger on it.
Mine is the PSA 2 stage also. It didn't work at the numbers they claimed. Wolff gunsprings got it there according to my Wheeler gauge. 2lb/2.5 . Never have adjusted my gas block. It runs everything as is. I bought a Gen2 lower first. It ran fine yet dented the cases. It needs to be modified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts