Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definition: Semi-Obsolete Cartridge - (1) a cartridge that has fallen from popularity to such an extent that factory ammunition is difficult to find, (2) a cartridge, that while no longer in common use, is compatible with, and can be chambered and fired in a modern firearm, (3) a cartridge that was never really popular, but has held on by its fingertips.

There are a lot of semi-obsolete cartridges out there, and lots of shooters and reloaders that strive to keep them alive and relevant. I really like the idea of keeping the past alive by buying firearms that don't seem to be in popular calibers, and loading older ammunition versions in backward compatible firearms.

Right now I find myself loading more .32 S&W, .38 SC, .38 LC, and .30-30 Short Range. What less-than-popular, obscure, semi-obsolete, or oddball cartridges do you reload for?

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
.40 S&W

:popcorn:

Reactions: Quavodus

·
Premium Member
21,307 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
I have an Enfield breaktop in .38 S&W and a Astra 400 in 9mm Largo which I keep intending to reload for but have never gotten around to buying dies and bullets.

Right now, I'm not likely to use the primers on obscure cartridges that I rarely shoot.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an Enfield breaktop in .38 S&W and a Astra 400 in 9mm Largo which I keep intending to reload for but have never gotten around to buying dies and bullets.

Right now, I'm not likely to use the primers on obscure cartridges that I rarely shoot.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I also have a Enfield breaktop in 38 S&W that I rarely shoot because the ammo is pricey and I don't reload. It was mfd in 1934; Kirk what year is yours?

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
.32 Winchester Special

Reactions: Merle

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
I also have a Enfield breaktop in 38 S&W that I rarely shoot because the ammo is pricey and I don't reload. It was mfd in 1934; Kirk what year is yours?
Not sure off the top of my head.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Someone gave me an old pump action 16 gauge shotgun. The magazine tube does not hold ammo anymore. It is just a single shot shotgun now. 16 gauge ammo is not real easy to find but I can still find it. I have not shot it in over ten years I think.

Someone I know has a .25-35 Winchester rifle. Even before the 2020 ammunition shortage ammo was expensive for that long gun.

Reactions: mr_flintstone

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone I know has a .25-35 Winchester rifle. Even before the 2020 ammunition shortage ammo was expensive for that long gun.
I tend to reload either because 1) I can't get the ammo, 2) the ammo is very expensive, or 3) I'm experimenting or creating custom loads.

Even before the ammo crunch, I had trouble finding .32 H&R Magnum, .30 Carbine, and 8x57 Mauser locally.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
.22 Long.

Hard to find - many times a search will pull up the .22LR.

eldar
yes, I saw some during the ammo scare of 2013...
But it works in 22LR chambers in most cases, I am told.

·
Premium Member
8,531 Posts
yes, I saw some during the ammo scare of 2013...
But it works in 22LR chambers in most cases, I am told.
I own a Marlin Model 60 that takes .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle.

I thought I would load up on all three types - got plenty of LR and Short.

eldar

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
35 Remington, 7.5 Swiss, 6.5 Carcano, 7.62x25 TOK,300 Savage, 220 Swift, 32 New Police, 22BR.......
7.5 Swiss is FAR from obsolete, semi or otherwise.

.300 Savage does, sadly, fit the bill, which makes no sense, a 150 grain short action bullet at 2600-2700 fps is a solid thing.:(

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
7.5 Swiss is FAR from obsolete, semi or otherwise.

.300 Savage does, sadly, fit the bill, which makes no sense, a 150 grain short action bullet at 2600-2700 fps is a solid thing.:(
Alas, .300 Savage fell for the same reason as .222 Remington. Once their slightly more powerful military offspring became available to the public, they set aside the perfectly acceptable parents.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Someone gave me an old pump action 16 gauge shotgun. The magazine tube does not hold ammo anymore. It is just a single shot shotgun now. 16 gauge ammo is not real easy to find but I can still find it. I have not shot it in over ten years I think.

The 16 and 28 gauges is hanging in there. I own in 16 gauge Stevens single shot, rem 870 youth, Stoger over under, rem model 11. I own in 28 guage Ithaca model 37 and an over and under that I can think of the brand right now. There is lots of ammo out there for both 16 and 28. The 28 is my favorite for early season pheasant then I switch to the rem model 11 when birds get a little more flighty. Boss shotgun shells is even loading non toxic rounds so you can take your old guns waterfowl hunting again. Loaded with bismuth so you don't need a new barrel.
https://bossshotshells.com/products/16-ga-2-3-4-mag-1-oz-4/

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My two latest runs of old cartridges. .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt loaded to original specs (except they use inside lubed bullets because they will be fired from a .38 Special).

70F9B5CA-3485-437C-8B7B-C986745B7AD2.jpeg

.38 LC 125 gr LFP @ 766 FPS

A217B541-1AC1-4E31-9640-308C96483E89.jpeg

.38 SC 93 gr LRN @ 750 FPS

Why? Just for fun.

·
Super Moderator
28,450 Posts
My two latest runs of old cartridges. .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt loaded to original specs (except they use inside lubed bullets because they will be fired from a .38 Special).

View attachment 68215
.38 LC 125 gr LFP @ 766 FPS

View attachment 68225
.38 SC 93 gr LRN @ 750 FPS

Why? Just for fun.
Did you load these? If so, where did you find reloading recipes?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts