Senate Takes up Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Hermitt, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...concealed-carry-reciprocity-charles-c-w-cooke

2. Ogoofy will not sign this, so it is not going to happen.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Would be funny if it did. It's damn near impossible to get a CC in Mass. but anyone from another state would be free to carry there. Won't happen but would be hilarious.

4. Hermitt

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

There are two (?) types of vetoes. A pocket veto, which is when congress is adjourned and the prez just decides not to sign it. After 10 days it's considered vetoed and can't be overturned. Then there is the regular veto where the president has 10 days to veto it and return it with the reasons behind the veto. That type of veto can be overturned by a 2/3 approval vote by the present members of each house. If one side, say the senate, gets 2/3 it goes to the house. If they can't get 2/3 it doesn't go to the house. If the president decides not to sign it in the 10 days after it hits his desk and the congress in in session, it automatically becomes a law.

I'm thinking Obama might pull the final option and ignore it so it becomes a law and he can say, "Oops, I meant to veto that. Sorry."

6. Hermitt

they need to send him out to do some campaigning and golfing. Maybe he can take Tiger Woods place...... :p

7. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Why is everybody running scared of Obama's veto...?

Now is the time to get the two thirds majority in the House and over ride his vetoes - every one that he makes.

There will be plenty of Democrats who will go with the Republican Majority just so they can get re-elected in two years.

Change Obama's last two years from a Lame-Duck Presidency to a 'dead-duck' Presidency.

;)

eldar

8. Yup there is no reason to be scared of a veto. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

PS
    Let's not forgot that last July a Fed judge ordered Washington D.C. allow those visiting to be able to CC.

"Nevertheless the District Court noted that, "the District of Columbia may not completely bar him, or any other qualified individual, from carrying a handgun in public for self-defense simply because they are not residents of the District.""

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/dc-concealed-carry-guns_b_5626590.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  9. Branth

Branth Member

I don't see the federalism controversy. Drivers licenses, ID's, marriage licenses, wills, etc. etc. are all reciprocal due to the full faith and credit clause.

10. You must have forget why. Because those others you list don't impede the leftists from putting a jackboot to the people throat.

Does that freshen you memory?

11. I hope this passes it would be great.

I just renewed my CCW license for another 5 yrs.

12. Rachgier

I don't have the articles handy, but part of the SAFE Act most people don't know about is how it now made all Pistol and CCW permits a mandatory 3-year renewal AND you must now re-justify your level of permitting. Basically, you are doing a full re-application for the permit without having to do the fingerprinting and firearms course.

13. Branth

Branth Member

You're gonna tell the bi guy that marriage licenses can't be used to suppress civil rights? :p

I don't see how forcing interstate reciprocity of CCW permits can be used as a jackboot. It's not like the FedGov doesn't already regulate the crap out of guns whenever they feel like. I see no need to stop them from establishing a precedent in our favor.

14. I can see both points, clearly using reciprocity government can set the standards for CCW. That is a road once down would be difficult to reverse.

Besides that I don't think this has a snowball's chance in hell. There is not enough votes to override a veto. I would prefer thy use the clout they now have to remove bad gun laws. Such as the once ruled unconstitutional GFSZA.

Besides that states like New York would ignore the federal law. They do now with federal law on interstate transport of firearms.

15. How did you come up with that from what I wrote?

16. Branth

Branth Member

Oh, I see... I reread it. You were saying that they weren't making CCW permits reciprocal so they could continue to infringe upon rights.

I should have clarified. I don't understand why we in the gun community are torn about CCW reciprocity - I've heard gun rights guys say that it gives the FedGov power to regulate state CCW permits, and that's a bad thing.

I thought your response was saying that the FedGov has been proven to be hostile to gun rights, so we shouldn't get them any foot in the door with regulating CCW. I thought you were saying that if we pass a CCW reciprocity bill, it'll come back to bite us later.

17. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

We need constitutional carry, not government licensing and permission slips to exercise a God-given right..

18. Rachgier

Well unless you can manage to get everyone at HPFF elected to replace the antis in congress....:p

Of course if that happened, the ATF would go away and the IRS would be in for a major overhaul.

Second of all, I'm going to have to disagree with you on it being a God-given right. The right to self-preservation maybe, the means with which one chooses to do so, that's pretty much on them.

19. God made man. Samuel Colt made man equal.
    Seriously self preservation is a god given right. Then you should be able to choose what ever means necessary that dosnt hinder anyone else.
    Gun,knife, nun-chuck, cane.

Ironically here in PA I can ccw my gun all day along anywhere. But it's illegal for me to carry my switch blade off my property

20. Rachgier

Move to NY, they'll take your switchblade away period, you won't get a CCW without a damn good reason, and you'll even lose the ability to OC unless you're at home or on the range.