Senator wants to ban machete possession in NY

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Rachgier, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

And here we go for another round of "you can't have that" in NY.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/state-sen-tony-avella-ban-machetes-new-york-article-1.2120874

State Sen. Tony Avella wants to ban machete possession in New York

EXCLUSIVE: Under Avella’s proposal, possessing a machete could lead up to a year in jail. He plans to introduce a bill to establish a ban, which is in response to an incident in July on Long Island where a man hacked a teenager to death.

BY: Lisa L. Colangelo,Reuven Blau/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS/Thursday, February 19, 2015, 2:30 AM

The sale of machetes should be outlawed after several recent attacks, a Queens pol said Wednesday.

State Sen. Tony Avella plans to introduce a bill to ban the possession of the scary blades in New York.

“The fact that anyone can easily purchase this potentially lethal tool is just crazy,” he said.

Smaller knives such as switchblades and gravity knives are already banned and listed as deadly weapons under state law, but machetes are considered the same as butcher knives.

New Yorkers carrying those knives can be ticketed for a blade longer than 4 inches, an administrative code violation. They face up to 15 days in jail and a $300 fine.

Under Avella’s proposed legislation, the mere possession of a machete could lead to a year behind bars.

In movies like “Machete,” starring Danny Trejo, it’s the vigilante hero carrying the macho weapons. Not so in real life, however, and Avella’s push comes in response to an attack last summer on Long Island in which, according to authorities, a man hacked a teenager to death.

On his way to being arraigned, the suspect, David Sadler, 45, told reporters he’d bought the weapon on Craigslist.

Police say Sadler slashed Terrance Grier, 17, in the neck with the massive blade during an argument down the block from Sadler’s Hempstead home in July.

“I didn’t even know it was possible to buy a machete online,” Terrance’s mother, Greta Price, told the Daily News. “I had no idea that it wasn’t considered a deadly weapon. It should be.”

Price said she visits her son’s grave two to three times each week, adding, “He’d still be alive today if it wasn’t for a machete.”

Terrance wasn’t New York’s only recent machete victim. In October, an unidentified man was slashed in the neck, back, shoulder and arms during an argument in a Bronx restaurant. After the attack, police released a video showing the suspect pulling the machete from an umbrella.

The legislation is the second in a series of law enforcement measures recently proposed by Avella.

The lawmaker also wants to create a new criminal charge for suspects who vandalize police vehicles. That bill is in response to damage done to patrol cars in Brooklyn after a Staten Island grand jury voted not to indict a police officer in the July 17 chokehold death of Eric Garner.

2. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Le sigh....... :rolleyes:

That reminds me, I still have to find th machete that my sister in law brought me from Africa :D

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Have to use a shovel, or a pick or something else I guess. then they can ban shovels and picks, then they'll have to use rocks, and they can ban rocks.

4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    "Several recent attacks"? I guess if you reference someone getting cut and the same murder three times that counts as "several"?

6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

it is new york they will ban whatever they decide is in the best interest of their subjects.

Normally i'd tell my friends and family in NY to stay and put up the good fight but there is no way to combat ignorance like this. Get out before they ban travel or cars that can hold more than 7 gallons of gas.

7. Rachgier

It's a liberal commie nanny state. Anything happening twice or more in a 2 year span that can be used in their agenda means several and indicates a trend.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Can I still buy a pick axe at Home Depot?
    Box cutters?
    10 inch screwdriver?
    Kitchen knife set?

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

SPORK's to be banned in NYS.... that will be the next headline we'll see. :loco:

10. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    So lemme guess, they arrested the machete and let the wielder go. Because obviously the machete made him do it. I wonder how the machete pleaded?

Maybe they should just ban crime....:rolleyes:

11. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

We just CAN'T ban this!

[​IMG]

12. Of course New Jersey not wanting to be outdone will also ban hedge clippers.

13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    These fascist jerk-offs behave as if each item that gets misused should be banned. Don't forget that this is the same jurisdiction that tried to de facto ban certain food items because people misuse them by over consuming them. By his twisted logic, cars should be banned because people run over pedestrians and bicyclists.

And speaking of bicyclists, many of them have angered pedestrians and drivers with their sanctimonious hogging of road space and walking trails, causing some people to string lines at a biker's neck level on some paths. Should string be banned, too?

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

One of these days those pesky criminals will follow these new laws and give up on crime.

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    :indeed:
    I like the new emoticons.:D

16. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Leave the People's Republic of New York ASAP, freedom lovers.

17. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Rach's first order as new Site Admin was to turn over upgrade duties to his 13 year old niece. :nahnah:

18. Rachgier

19. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

It might be time to break out the tar and feathers...

eldar

20. rickm

rickm Member

well under him assumption then need to ban all Taxi cabs,transit buses and subways trains.