Sending my Haskell JS45 to Mom

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by ichthyo, Jun 12, 2015.

1. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

The magazine catch on the pistol was broken and it had a few other minor problems so I called MOM. Very friendly person on the other end. He agreed I should send the gun in.

The one thing that bothered me was I was asked to send them a scanned image of my drivers license. Is this something new or just something Haskell asks for and the other two locations don't?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

We've had hundreds of great reports about sending things back to mom, im sure someone would have mentioned the scanned licence before. Never heard of that one.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I would NOT do that. I have sent 2 - 45 caliber pistols to Haskell. They have never asked me to do that. If your package gets lost in the mail, they not only have your cheap gun, but have a copy of your ID, which is much more valuable. But I always use my FFL to send my handguns to them. It only cost him $10 flat rate USPS mail. He charges me $15.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  4. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

it likely depends on the state you are from.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

I highly doubt that. Again with so many posts on this forum about returns for repair/parts/etc....im sure we would have heard about this before.

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think that the idea is to email the scanned ID. If the pistol does get lost in the mail, the ID won't be compromised with it. You definitely would not want to put a paper copy of it in the box.

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Are you sure you called the correct number?? :confused:

8. MachoMelvin

I think if he sends the gun in to Haskell himself, he may be required to send his ID. But that will cost him $35 -$40 by FedEx to ship. When my FFL sends it in, he sends his FFL info with it. A FFL can ship via USPS with Flat Rate boxes. And he only charges me the $15. I just don't like sending my personal info, if I don't have to.

9. ichthyo

I checked my cell phone to make sure I called the right number. I called at 4 minutes before they were scheduled to open and I was surprised they answered. Maybe some unauthorized employee decided to ad-lib.

They told me they would repair the broken magazine catch and I asked if I could buy a new left side grip as mine was broken. He said that was covered at no charge under the warranty. This was the same guy who said to send a copy of my driver's license.

I'm not aware of any laws in my state that would require my ID for a manufacturer's warranty work.

I may contact them again to see what happened since no one has ever reported this before.

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

Or just "accidentally forget" to include it.

11. JH45

JH45 Member

Huh.........

12. ichthyo

No charge to replace broken grip. Is that what you meant to comment on?

13. JH45

JH45 Member

Yes I understood it, but they wanted to charge me.

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

Wanted to charge you for what? Repair work? I don't think so.

15. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe the license scan might be something new that they are doing?

16. ichthyo

Well folks. I sent the JS45 to Mom, but I called them one more time to ask why they needed my drivers license. The gentleman on the phone said it certainly wasn't to conduct any kind of background check, but it was to tie my name to the serial number on the pistol for future reference on any future repairs. I'm still at a loss to understand why, but I asked what they were doing to make sure people's identities weren't being stolen. He stated the scanned image of the drivers license is destroyed once the data is entered into their computer system. Make of this what you will as I can't follow the logic.

I must confess I did provide the scanned image and that is the main reason why I called them back as I wanted to express my concern over who had access to my drivers license.

On the bright side. The gun has already made it back to me with a new magazine latch, replaced left side grip (old one had a piece broken off), new spring for the firing pin, additional magazine, and 4 magazines of test rounds fired through the gun. I must say that is very impressive for a pre-Hi-Point model.

Now if my identity isn't compromised by this, I will be a happy man. Maybe I'm just too trusting.

17. MachoMelvin

After posting on this gun blog for 2+ years, I'm sure I don't have any secrets left?

18. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I agree it makes no sense. Why do they need a DL to tie a repair to anyone? Your name and address should suffice if anything needed at all. Owners don't matter as 'no question asked' warranty applies to any owner.
    What are their real reasons??

19. ichthyo

Just a follow up on my Haskell JS45. I just noticed that Mom actually mailed the scanned image of my driver's license as It was folded up and in the bottom of the box. Doesn't mean that someone with a devious mind still doesn't have a copy though. I'm not really too worried about it.

So now that the gun is functional again, I decided to make it look better. The previous owner had stripped the paint off of one side and attempted to polish it. So I decided to go with a black and coyote brown color combination. I still have more work to do on it including finishing it with a high quality expoxy matte clear coat. I really like the absolutely no glare finish. I used Aervoe military matte camo paint. Much cheaper than the Duracoat type paint but not as durable without a hard clear coat.

Attached Files:

20. MachoMelvin

Did you get a FREE magazine?