Senior Eyes

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by hoodcanaldr, Dec 23, 2015.

1. hoodcanaldr

hoodcanaldr Member

I've searched "bifocals" and found the posts mostly concern 3point sights vs ghost rings. I'm looking for guidance from bifocal wearers concerning pistol shooting with 3point sights. I'm new to pistol shooting. I have a HP C9 and Taurus TCP. At 7 yds I can hit a 9" paper plate most of the time but by the time I get the sights and target sort of aligned the POA starts to wander and my group is the size of the plate.

So, is there a coping mechanism for sighting or should I just ignore the sights and learn to point and shoot? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Whew, good Question, HoodedCanalDr...
    I have been blind in both eyes 3 times, and have
    ocular implanted lenses now. I have the oldest
    eyes on here, most likely. Cataracts, secondary
    cataracts, detached retina, everything but
    Macular Degeneration! :eek: But I do not have
    those problems, It's likely just a coping mechanism
    like you said. I know some use the aperture on the
    spectacles, said that is a great aid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Link for the above... http://www.eabco.com/css_sts2.html

3. Pablo

Pablo Carbine Guy aka Zippy Member

My occupational progressives are great for work, reading, working on guns, but suck for 10-15 yard and beyond shooting. It took 3 attempts for perfection, so I'm not messing with that.

So, I went to my same local eye doc and had some pretty cool shooting glasses made. Cost me $250. I take super good care of them, and they are 4 years old. Not one scratch. I highly recommend this option. Mine have correction for my dominant eye, nothing on the upper for the recessive eye and magnifiers only at the very bottom for both.

This may help:

http://chrissajnog.com/vision-and-shooting-and-aging-part-1/

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yup.

I have presbyopia. One thing is to just get "shooting glasses" RX. A common trick is to get an RX for "computer" use and it's about the same distance. I do both that and this:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Member

My regular bi focals are what I use. I try to take decent care of them. Of course I use my regular everyday glasses at the range. I also practice without them (I know, eye protection is recommended at the range), but I always train like I expect to fight. If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night, I probably won't have time to get them on.

6. histed

histed Supporting Member

Mole and Kirk had some good suggestions for target shooting (usually do). I wear trifocals and shoot with what I wear. I (we) also have both of the pistols you asked about. You didn't specify what type of shooting (target or defense), so here's my suggestion, FWIW. With the TCP - ignore the sight and learn to point shoot. Its a short range defensive pistol with very minimal sights. If you can keep all six in a plate at 10-15 yards, you should be good. With the C9, try installing the ghost ring rear and use your far-vision correction only. Your eye SHOULD pick up the colored front sight and automatically center it in the ring. So, put the slightly blurred dot on center mass and squeeze. Works for me - YMMV

7. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

There is a lot of research going on currently in regards to self focusing contact lenses (unless you can't touch your eyeball - like he who should not be named). Not sure how much longer it will take to bring those into consumer purchase? Until then Kirk and older than dirt eye mole's contributions are sound.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

There was one propeller head who was doing some really neat research into what was effectively infinite-focus lenses for eye-glasses. I only understood about half of what I was reading but the gist of it was using laser to etch the glass similar to a cross between a Fresnel lens and a holographic lens. Some Israeli optics genius, iirc. I haven't heard anything more about it in years.

I'll see can dig out a reference somewhere.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I wear bifocals, but I guess I am lucky - I don't have a problem with them while shooting. As far as the ghost ring goes, good luck. I thought I wanted it on my C9, installed it, then about went cross-eyed trying to focus with it!

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Here it is:

This guy, Ze'ev Zalevsky.

Spectacles haven’t changed much in 700 years, but now an Israeli professor is working on a new solution for deteriorating eyesight.
    Glasses from Xceed Imaging

Photo by Nati Shohat/Flash90.
    A new monofocal lens now being developed in Israel could solve the problems experienced by people wearing bifocal and multifocal glasses.

Reading glasses; bifocals; multifocals. So much of what characterizes what is politely termed “the third plateau” is related to the deterioration of eyesight. And there’s a reason for that, says Ze’ev Zalevsky, professor of engineering at Bar Ilan University and inventor of a unique system to help improve the eyesight of those suffering from presbyopia, the weakening of the ability to focus on near objects.

“After age 45, your eyes gradually lose their flexibility, making it difficult to focus on close objects. If you had good eyesight previously, you may need reading glasses to focus on these near objects, while if you had further deterioration, you would need bifocals or multifocals to enable you to see close and at a distance,” Zalevsky explains to ISRAEL21c.

Eyeglasses, as they are used today, are not ideal solutions he says, because what you gain in eyesight magnification you lose in clarity and focus. It’s a problem that has plagued generations of eyeglass wearers, but Zalevsky believes he has found a better way.

One lens will do the job

“Spectacles” have been around for at least 700 years by most reckonings, and they seem to have been doing an adequate job of compensating for presbyopia, myopia and other common eye ailments. But that’s not always necessarily the case, Zalevsky says. For example, bifocals and multifocals, which are popular among older wearers, have several disadvantages. They simply draw the eye to the appropriate spot on the lens, while limiting the focus as regular glasses do. They also reduce the usable field of view. And while the refractive lenses used in most eyeglasses limit focus, diffractive lenses – which could solve the focus issue by increasing focal depth – have their own problems, such as color integrity distortion and low energetic efficiency.

Rather than make do with the partial solutions available today, Zalevsky suggests a monofocal lens which can focus light from between 13 inches away up to the horizon. The lens is engraved with special patterns which shifts the phase of light waves, enabling clear focus on objects both near and far.

“We call this an interferometric solution, combining the best of refractive and diffractive lenses,” Zalevsky says. The solution consists of a single lens that enables wearers to see more clearly, no matter what their vision problem (presbyopia, astigmatism, etc.) or whether they wear glasses, contact lenses or intraocular lenses.

“If you wear bifocals, you will no longer have to move your head up and down to access the near or far vision areas – one pair of glasses with our interferometric solution will do the job,” he promises.

full story

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. histed

histed Supporting Member

Yup - got that from people. Guess I got used to "peep" sights as a kid. Matter of preference, really, but you don't know until you try it. You have any problems switching back, Tracy? Sights on ours are easy

12. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I use multi focal lenses, what works for me on pistols is I focus on the front sight and center it on the blurry rear notch. Works for me and is good for minute of zombie head shots out to 25 yds.

13. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

No, thought I was going to have to sight it in on the next range visit, but to my surprise it was dead on! Centering it was easy, wasn't sure about elevation, though. Just kinda' tried remembering where it was before, which was just slightly depressed, and got lucky and it worked!

14. hoodcanaldr

hoodcanaldr Member

Wow! Many thanks to all respondents. Most helpful.

Seems the place for me to start for the C9 is with a black tape pinhole on the bifocals, computer glasses (that I have) and shooting glasses to see what works best. When the vision problem is manageable I can then focus on my stance, grip and trigger pull which also need improvement. My goal is a reasonable grouping at 15 yards.

The TCP is a defensive weapon that is comfortable and discrete to carry. It is not fun to shoot, recoil is harsh and the sights are rudimentary. After I've learned to shoot the C9 competently, I'll try point and shoot for the TCP with and without glasses.

Again, my thanks for the help. And Merry Christmas or Season's Greetings as appropriate.

15. histed

histed Supporting Member

Hood - you reload? That TCP can be tamed down for practice with the right handload, if you do that. Be happy to share the info - just PM me.

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I thought it would be OK if I "quit" when I needed glasses :p

S-Mom and Ghost Ring sights :rofl:
    [​IMG]

17. Pablo

Pablo Carbine Guy aka Zippy Member

I don't know what's more disturbing, that she can hold her eyes like that or she is holding a gun. Looks like a .45!

18. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

My eyes suck and I'm only 54 yrs old , I'm wearing 2.75 + glasses only to read with but I've noticed looking thru iron sights it's getting more difficult . If I do wear these glasses I can easily see the iron sights but then my far away vision gets obscured

Yep getting old F'n sucks !!!!

19. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Unless you are going to train to shoot competitively, you should be practicing point shooting using a B-27 silhouette target. Your firearm use will be defensive and sights will just slow you down. ;)

Start at 3 to 5 feet, then go to 7 and 10 feet. Once you get that down move to 20 feet. Anything over 7 yards (21 feet) can start getting dicey to defend as self defense in court.

I'm partial to the B-27E Orange silhouettes myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Law-Enforceme...78799&sr=8-15&keywords=b27+silhouette+targets

20. hoodcanaldr

hoodcanaldr Member

Histed, thanks for the offer but I don't reload. I was using Fiocchi FMJ which clocks in at 960 fps and 194 ft-lbs. I'm going to try PMC Bronze @ 910 and 165 to see if that softens the recoil until I get more used to the gun.