Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap! I just watched this movie on sci-fi after hearing you guys talk about it.......I can't believe I missed it when it was actually airing........I liked it more than Battlestar Galactica (remake) and I thought BG was my favorite sci-fi show...........does Firefly still come on anywhere?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Holy crap! I just watched this movie on sci-fi after hearing you guys talk about it.......I can't believe I missed it when it was actually airing........I liked it more than Battlestar Galactica (remake) and I thought BG was my favorite sci-fi show...........does Firefly still come on anywhere?
The entire boxed set of "Firefly" is only four discs; add "Serenity" and you've occupied only a small amount of shelf space. Just do what I did, buy them both.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Firefly only aired one season and I believe it was cut short. You can buy the set from Amazon, maybe Wal-Mart or if your not one to stand on rules and RIAA & MPAA imperialism, bit torrent it,.. :)

The entire Firefly saga is only 14 episodes. Throw in Serenity and it's 15. Serenity was made mainly as a response to rabid fans that were unhappy with how the show was left hanging. It's was filmed as a "wrap up" to the series.

Series: $32.99
http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Compl...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245887474&sr=8-1

Serenity: $9.49
http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Wide...=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245887474&sr=8-11

Soundtrack: $13.99
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Tele...r_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1245887474&sr=8-16

Then there's all the non-canon books etc,..

Oh BTW, yes, it is awesome. :)

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
You can catch it on Hulu too.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I watched Serenity the other day for the second or third time. I have always loved that movie. I have never seen Firefly, but I bet I'd love that too.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I watched Serenity the other day for the second or third time. I have always loved that movie. I have never seen Firefly, but I bet I'd love that too.
Firefly is basically shorter episodes of Serenity. You'll love it. :)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
GEEZ!!!! About Goram time you fools finally found the series!! Also, when my life slows down at ALL, I'll see if I can get a set of copies to you over there Primal. I still have a hat to send you as well

·
Registered
669 Posts
I never knew about Firefly until I watched Serenity. That is an awesome movie!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whats with all the old west speech though? Is it supposed to be metaphorical?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
No it's supposed to be the setting. You really get more of an understanding from watching the series.
Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

Throughout the series, the Alliance is shown to govern the star system through an organization of "core" planets, following its success in forcibly unifying all of the colonies under a single government. DVD commentary suggests that the Alliance is composed of two primary "core" planets, one predominantly Western in culture, the other pan-Asian, justifying the series' mixed linguistic and visual themes. The central planets are firmly under Alliance control, but the outlying planets and moons resemble the 19th century American West, with little governmental authority. Settlers and refugees on the outlying worlds ("out in the black" or "heading for the black") have relative freedom from the central government, but lack the amenities of the high-tech civilization that exists on the inner worlds.
The whole series is a mix of Wild West meets Sci-Fi.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Another one joins the browncoats... shiny!

-'b

PS Firefly has got to be the most quotable show of all time! "I call her Vera."

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Yeah I love the series and the movie, I got the series on dvd a while back... totally worth it :D

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
"What's it say under 'bloodbath'"

Ok, you know you're a browncoat nut when you're quoting deleted scenes...

"You must be one of them innepenents"

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No it's supposed to be the setting. You really get more of an understanding from watching the series.
Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

Throughout the series, the Alliance is shown to govern the star system through an organization of "core" planets, following its success in forcibly unifying all of the colonies under a single government. DVD commentary suggests that the Alliance is composed of two primary "core" planets, one predominantly Western in culture, the other pan-Asian, justifying the series' mixed linguistic and visual themes. The central planets are firmly under Alliance control, but the outlying planets and moons resemble the 19th century American West, with little governmental authority. Settlers and refugees on the outlying worlds ("out in the black" or "heading for the black") have relative freedom from the central government, but lack the amenities of the high-tech civilization that exists on the inner worlds.
The whole series is a mix of Wild West meets Sci-Fi.
So it's a kind of symbolism, like independence, freedom, the spirit of the old west, ect.........cool

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Firefly/Serenity is like North vs. South, The Empire vs. Rebels etc,..

The Alliance is like the North, the Independents are like the South. The Independents lost the war of unification. The Capt. Reynolds was a sergeant in the Independents. The outlying planets are like the wild west. They have some tech but nowhere near the level of the Alliance. Kind of like the East coast cities vs the West during the 19th century.

It is really hard to explain, there are many subtleties. You got the idea though. Overall I would say it's like a less evolved Star Wars. Technology and space travel is common, but overall things are somewhat less advanced.

Yes, it's full of symbolism. It's fantastic. I missed the series when it aired. Didn't see Serenity when it came out. I bought the DVD in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart and instantly got hooked. Went and tracked down the series online after watching the movie and got caught up. I've since done research on many fan sites, Wikipedia etc,.. I'm fairly well versed in the saga and genre.

Firefly is definitely a series that was before it's time. It was canceled early. A few episodes were aired out of order. It failed to receive entirely positive reviews. I believe if it were to be aired today, it would be much better received, and would have had a much longer run.

Next to Reimagined Battlestar Galactica, it still stands as one of the best Sci-Fi series to ever air.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Yeah I love the series and the movie, I got the series on dvd a while back... totally worth it :D
You can watch all 14 episodes at Hulu.com

Was the movie made before or after the series?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.