Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "new job windfall" is going to buy my a new gun. I'm kicking around several ideas ranging from a lightweight .308 AR to a 1911 45ACP +P stoked with 450SMC. But the 5.7x28 is quite intriguing to me. I'm too cheap to ever buy a FN FiveseveN but the Ruger 57 was looking interesting, that is until I stumbled across the PSA 5.7 Rock.

So far, literally, every review I've found of it has been positive. Lower price, decent trigger, more capacity (23+1), more affordable mags, optics ready options...

OTOH, it's out of stock all the time and seems like there's only one company making OWB Kydex for it (WeAreNerd). And it's a "full size handgun" that is a tad longer than the G17 in OAL with more of a slide.

And 5.7 ammo ain't free. I like being able to reload to save money on practice ammo and, as @greg_r has noted, 5.7 ammo has a reputation, at best, for being errr... "fiddly."

But the round is flat shooting, claims 30% less recoil than 9mm, has what looks to me to be good terminal performance, is endorsed by people I trust as being very effective for social work, and, in the event that Russia invades, most of the ammo will penetrate NIJ II soft armor and about 1/3 of boutique commercial offerings will penetrate Level IIIA, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

...still, I'm pretty cheap.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Haha
Reactions: undeRGRound

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,398 Posts
Your to cheap to afford that gun and shoot it. Find a different gun.

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
My I make a suggestion. KelTec PMR 30 paired with the CMR 30. You can buy the both for a few dollars more than the Ruger 57. It costs about the same to shoot as factory 9mm, and velocity with the 40 - 45 grain bullets are not really all that far behind the 5.7x28 cartridge

I call them my poor man’s 5.7.

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your to cheap to afford that gun and shoot it. Find a different gun.
I know. But I'm also thinking that I can bring down the price by handloading the fiddly cartridge and I'm one of those cheap enough to put the effort into doing so in order to save some dollars. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Wow
Reactions: Rerun

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My I make a suggestion. KelTec PMR 30 paired with the CMR 30. You can buy the both for a few dollars more than the Ruger 57. It costs about the same to shoot as factory 9mm, and velocity with the 40 - 45 grain bullets are not really all that far behind the 5.7x28 cartridge

I call them my poor man’s 5.7.
My dad has a PMR30. I like it. It's light, and shoots well, with a "love you long time, sailor" magazine capacity. But it can be picky about ammo and very picky about how you load the mags. And I know a lot of people think of it as the poor man's 5.7 but I ran the ballistics. And, sadly, it's not really close. It has the same ME as a .380ACP from a pocket pistol. Now that ain't nuth'n to sneeze at for sure, and I completely respect it, but it's not 5.7. Same goes for side-by-side jello and penetration tests.

I like the PMR30 but it's a different animal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Think1st

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've looked at FN 5.7, but have ruled it out as something for EDC.

The ammo and reloading issues would mean I would probably not be shooting it that much, and proficiency comes with practice, something you really want to have for an EDC gun and the situations you're carrying the thing for.

That being said I am looking at P90's and the new Ruger LCC, but more as something to add to the collection to occasionally shoot, like the 45 GAP and 357 Sigs.

·
Premium Member
26,435 Posts
@Tu_S I used to own a set of Ruger P90TH's. My little brother sold them while I was dealing with a legal matter and my mother convinced me not to beat his ass or call the police...

Reactions: Tu_S

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,398 Posts
@Tu_S I used to own a set of Ruger P90TH's. My little brother sold them while I was dealing with a legal matter and my mother convinced me not to beat his ass or call the police...
He's talking the P90 frm FN not Ruger I believe.

·
Premium Member
26,435 Posts
He's talking the P90 frm FN not Ruger I believe.
That's a PS90, not a P90 (the $20K FA SBR model) and he was talking about EDC firearms, which could cause one to assume the handgun from Ruger and not a $2,000, 7lb, semiautomatic, bullpupped, "rifle" with a 16" barrel and a 50 round magazine...

This is the gun world. Terminology matters...

And I still regret not fucking my brother up for selling those things. The TH's were special editions with the hogue grip bearing the Ruger logo and mine had consecutive serial numbers too. Never forgave him and he'll always be that asshole... He decided I was putting my parents in a bad spot by storing them in their safe at the address listed on my original purchase permit from NY. He kept the money too. Said it was only fair since he took the risk selling them. We don't talk.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,398 Posts
That's a PS90, not a P90 (the $20K FA SBR model) and he was talking about EDC firearms, which could cause one to assume the handgun from Ruger and not a $2,000, 7lb, semiautomatic, bullpupped, "rifle" with a 16" barrel and a 50 round magazine...

This is the gun world. Terminology matters...

And I still regret not fucking my brother up for selling those things. The TH's were special editions with the hogue grip bearing the Ruger logo and mine had consecutive serial numbers too. Never forgave him and he'll always be that asshole... He decided I was putting my parents in a bad spot by storing them in their safe at the address listed on my original purchase permit from NY. He kept the money too. Said it was only fair since he took the risk selling them. We don't talk.
Probably.

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts
I'm not cheap, thrifty, but not cheap!!!

I passed on the 5.7, had a PSA one in my cart and passed. Then had an FN version in my hand for a long time at a gunshow, decided not to... every time it was due to ammo prices. If I can't afford to shoot it, it's no good to me.

That being said, if your looking 308 also that is running 80 cents a round to $1.00 a round for the 5.7. Both are gonna cost ya and if you can stomach the extra 20 cents a shot, go for it.

Really depends on which one you will use more.

EDIT:

Just went and looked again... I hate you...

Great deal... $599 with 10 mags and optic ready 5.7 Rock with threaded barrel and case...

• Haha
Reactions: lklawson

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My "new job windfall" is going to buy my a new gun. I'm kicking around several ideas ranging from a lightweight .308 AR to a 1911 45ACP +P stoked with 450SMC. But the 5.7x28 is quite intriguing to me. I'm too cheap to ever buy a FN FiveseveN but the Ruger 57 was looking interesting, that is until I stumbled across the PSA 5.7 Rock.
[snip]
And it's a "full size handgun" that is a tad longer than the G17 in OAL with more of a slide.
Turns out it's not as large as I'd been kinda thinking. If I'm OK with a full sized 1911, then the size of the PSA 5.7 Rock is no issue at all.

Auto part Cylinder Font Machine Rectangle

Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Grey Line Gun barrel

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
273 Posts

So far, literally, every review I've found of it has been positive. Lower price, decent trigger, more capacity (23+1), more affordable mags, optics ready options...

OTOH, it's out of stock all the time and seems like there's only one company making OWB Kydex for it (WeAreNerd). And it's a "full size handgun" that is a tad longer than the G17 in OAL with more of a slide.

And 5.7 ammo ain't free. I like being able to reload to save money on practice ammo and, as @greg_r has noted, 5.7 ammo has a reputation, at best, for being errr... "fiddly."

But the round is flat shooting, claims 30% less recoil than 9mm, has what looks to me to be good terminal performance, is endorsed by people I trust as being very effective for social work, and, in the event that Russia invades, most of the ammo will penetrate NIJ II soft armor and about 1/3 of boutique commercial offerings will penetrate Level IIIA, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

...still, I'm pretty cheap.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You might want to consider the 22 TCM. It's easier to reload, comes in different sizes and uses the 1911 build and is every bit as fast and lethal as the 5.7. My only advice is to make sure it fires the 40gn. as well as the 39r. The ammo is cheaper and more plentiful too. Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

I just custom built this one in commander size but you can get a much cheaper version from Rock Island Arms.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,263 Posts

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might want to consider the 22 TCM. It's easier to reload, comes in different sizes and uses the 1911 build and is every bit as fast and lethal as the 5.7. My only advice is to make sure it fires the 40gn. as well as the 39r. The ammo is cheaper and more plentiful too. View attachment 76700 View attachment 76701
I just custom built this one in commander size but you can get a much cheaper version from Rock Island Arms.
I'm looking seriously at the .22TCM but if I want it to be the TCM and not theTCM9R, I'll have to go with a 9mm 1911. If I wanted the 9R I could get Glock Gen 3 conversions but it really doesn't look like the 9R performs as well as the TCM and don't think I want it in a 1911 (but I might).

Also, from what I can tell, the 5.7 has better terminal performance than the 22TCM, though it can be close in some cases.

When I started looking I thought that the 5.7 and the TCM were competitors to each other but the more I look at it, the less I think that. I think they're very different in application and use.

You're right that it looks like reloading for the TCM is less finicky than the 5.7, the brass lasts longer, and you can convert brass in a pinch, so those are all plusses.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
22,318 Posts
Ooooh! If only it were the optics ready slide, I'd be unlimbering the CC right now.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
It's also a Gen1 so you would be an uncompensated field/beta tester.

·
Super Moderator
10,145 Posts
You might want to consider the 22 TCM. It's easier to reload, comes in different sizes and uses the 1911 build and is every bit as fast and lethal as the 5.7. My only advice is to make sure it fires the 40gn. as well as the 39r. The ammo is cheaper and more plentiful too. View attachment 76700 View attachment 76701
Almost impossible to find 22 TCM here. I have the only firearm that I have seen chambered for it anywhere around and it’s a bolt rifle. I have made a few cases out of 223 just to see how it worked. Make them like I do 300 BLK, it works, but I hzvd several hundred cases, enough to keep me in whistle pig cartridges for a bit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Almost impossible to find 22 TCM here. I have the only firearm that I have seen chambered for it anywhere around and it’s a bolt rifle. I have made a few cases out of 223 just to see how it worked. Make them like I do 300 BLK, it works, but I hzvd several hundred cases, enough to keep me in whistle pig cartridges for a bit.
Outdoor limited has 'em $38.per 100

1 - 20 of 33 Posts