Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "new job windfall" is going to buy my a new gun. I'm kicking around several ideas ranging from a lightweight .308 AR to a 1911 45ACP +P stoked with 450SMC. But the 5.7x28 is quite intriguing to me. I'm too cheap to ever buy a FN FiveseveN but the Ruger 57 was looking interesting, that is until I stumbled across the PSA 5.7 Rock.

So far, literally, every review I've found of it has been positive. Lower price, decent trigger, more capacity (23+1), more affordable mags, optics ready options...

OTOH, it's out of stock all the time and seems like there's only one company making OWB Kydex for it (WeAreNerd). And it's a "full size handgun" that is a tad longer than the G17 in OAL with more of a slide.

And 5.7 ammo ain't free. I like being able to reload to save money on practice ammo and, as @greg_r has noted, 5.7 ammo has a reputation, at best, for being errr... "fiddly."

But the round is flat shooting, claims 30% less recoil than 9mm, has what looks to me to be good terminal performance, is endorsed by people I trust as being very effective for social work, and, in the event that Russia invades, most of the ammo will penetrate NIJ II soft armor and about 1/3 of boutique commercial offerings will penetrate Level IIIA, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

...still, I'm pretty cheap.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Haha
Reactions: undeRGRound

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your to cheap to afford that gun and shoot it. Find a different gun.
I know. But I'm also thinking that I can bring down the price by handloading the fiddly cartridge and I'm one of those cheap enough to put the effort into doing so in order to save some dollars. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Wow
Reactions: Rerun

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My I make a suggestion. KelTec PMR 30 paired with the CMR 30. You can buy the both for a few dollars more than the Ruger 57. It costs about the same to shoot as factory 9mm, and velocity with the 40 - 45 grain bullets are not really all that far behind the 5.7x28 cartridge

I call them my poor man’s 5.7.
My dad has a PMR30. I like it. It's light, and shoots well, with a "love you long time, sailor" magazine capacity. But it can be picky about ammo and very picky about how you load the mags. And I know a lot of people think of it as the poor man's 5.7 but I ran the ballistics. And, sadly, it's not really close. It has the same ME as a .380ACP from a pocket pistol. Now that ain't nuth'n to sneeze at for sure, and I completely respect it, but it's not 5.7. Same goes for side-by-side jello and penetration tests.

I like the PMR30 but it's a different animal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My "new job windfall" is going to buy my a new gun. I'm kicking around several ideas ranging from a lightweight .308 AR to a 1911 45ACP +P stoked with 450SMC. But the 5.7x28 is quite intriguing to me. I'm too cheap to ever buy a FN FiveseveN but the Ruger 57 was looking interesting, that is until I stumbled across the PSA 5.7 Rock.
[snip]
And it's a "full size handgun" that is a tad longer than the G17 in OAL with more of a slide.
Turns out it's not as large as I'd been kinda thinking. If I'm OK with a full sized 1911, then the size of the PSA 5.7 Rock is no issue at all.

Auto part Cylinder Font Machine Rectangle

Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Grey Line Gun barrel

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might want to consider the 22 TCM. It's easier to reload, comes in different sizes and uses the 1911 build and is every bit as fast and lethal as the 5.7. My only advice is to make sure it fires the 40gn. as well as the 39r. The ammo is cheaper and more plentiful too. View attachment 76700 View attachment 76701
I just custom built this one in commander size but you can get a much cheaper version from Rock Island Arms.
I'm looking seriously at the .22TCM but if I want it to be the TCM and not theTCM9R, I'll have to go with a 9mm 1911. If I wanted the 9R I could get Glock Gen 3 conversions but it really doesn't look like the 9R performs as well as the TCM and don't think I want it in a 1911 (but I might).

Also, from what I can tell, the 5.7 has better terminal performance than the 22TCM, though it can be close in some cases.

When I started looking I thought that the 5.7 and the TCM were competitors to each other but the more I look at it, the less I think that. I think they're very different in application and use.

You're right that it looks like reloading for the TCM is less finicky than the 5.7, the brass lasts longer, and you can convert brass in a pinch, so those are all plusses.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Congrats on the promo, has CMG finally decided you guys are worth it? 😁😁😁
I'm going back to the job I had before.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I thought you were reacting to my opinion on what you should buy, now I have my doubts. 😁

At least you always try and negate the "impulse" factor. Well thought out and planned purchases are rarely regretted. Especially such heavily reviewed items like popular guns.

I was wowed by @greg_r 's comparison to the 22TCM, I didn't know it was so huge a disparity 🧐
Me too. But he is comparing his own TCM handloads to factory 5.7, presumably optimized for the handgun length bbl.

Still, it is something to consider.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm not cheap, thrifty, but not cheap!!!

I passed on the 5.7, had a PSA one in my cart and passed. Then had an FN version in my hand for a long time at a gunshow, decided not to... every time it was due to ammo prices. If I can't afford to shoot it, it's no good to me.

That being said, if your looking 308 also that is running 80 cents a round to $1.00 a round for the 5.7. Both are gonna cost ya and if you can stomach the extra 20 cents a shot, go for it.

Really depends on which one you will use more.

EDIT:

Just went and looked again... I hate you...

Great deal... $599 with 10 mags and optic ready 5.7 Rock with threaded barrel and case...
I decided to buy it. Checked out and paid, being delivered to a local FFL I like.

Now all I need is ammo, a holster, and an RDS and I'll be ready for the mall. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
WHEW!

I'm glad that's over with - let us know how it works out!

Rerun
I only obsessed over three or four different options before finally deciding on this one. ;)

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ultimately your choice, I hope it really does the trick for you 👍👍👍

A huge factor in my own thinking is that, for me, it's a bad time to add "systems". As you all are tired of hearing, I usually get everything all together up front or I don't do it.

@lklawson, you already as a seasoned reloader has that advantage. Good on ya!
Everything I see or read says that it can be a fiddly cartridge to reload for. Apparently the 2 big gotchas to watch for are 1) to not damage the coating on the brass and 2) the powder charges have a very narrow min/max spread. Accommodating the first seems pretty simple, just hand wash, hand brush, don't tumble and accept you won't get "shiny" brass to reload. The second is pretty doable as well; the first powder I started with in 9mm is Titegroup. I chose it because it had the lowest powder charges which stretches the number of rounds I can get from a pound. But it's fiddly as the day is long. Depending on the bullet, the blasted powder has a min/max spread of 0.3 to 0.4 grains! The min/max spread on the 5.7 is 0.6 to 0.8 grains depending on bullet and powder. That's literally twice the spread. Much less fiddly than Titegroup. :)

Of course, I'll have to buy dies. Lee makes dies, but they're expensive by Lee standards. $56-ish.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Pick her up yet? You decide on optic?

Been busy with Florida house stuff so haven't even shot mine... great having someone else doing legwork lol.
I don't think it's shipped yet. I'll have to check with the LGS. Normally, they call me when stuff comes in.

As for optics, I'm unsure. I like the Sig on my Mossy but I keep hearing good things about Swampfox and I think one of those will fit.

Of course I don't have any ammo yet either. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Black is a maybe - read some decent things on it.
I agree that the NUWA Pro sounds very interesting. I might go ahead and get that one based on some of the reviews I've seen.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yeah a Circle dot wit

Yeah, a circle dot with that small footprint for $100ish is very tempting to try...
I went ahead and bought it. Total delivered w/ taxes & shipping $123.15 Supposed to be delivered this week or early next.

PSA says that they shipped the pistol. UPS says it's "in transit" with estimated delivery tomorrow. Yesterday the estimated delivery was today.

I guess I need to go buy some ammo and a holster. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Visper and Rerun

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Sheesh, I don't know why that posted so many times. My internet is sketchy here, I was just pleased that vispers pic loaded at all.
No worries. I took care of it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Pistolkitty

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The PSA 5.7 Rock was delivered to the LGS and I picked it up yesterday afternoon. Then I went to Judo. I'll start a "review" thread soon but off the bat, it looks yooooj! But it's not. I placed it beside my 1911 and it's exactly the same size, width, length, and height. Even with the longer threaded bbl, the bbl is only maybe 3/8" longer than a full size 1911. And 1911's were considered among the most concealable pistols right up until the Concealed Carry Revolution. Lighter too, though that may change when I get a mag full of ammo in it.

I don't have anything else yet for it. Still in shipping is: ammo, reflex sight, holster, mag holster.

I'll put other observations in the soon-to-be review thread.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
So my Kydex for the PSA 5.7 Rock came in yesterday. I like it. It dry-fits well and rides high enough that an untucked covering garment will hide the full-sized Rock.

More details (and probably pics) in another thread.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I ordered a Ruger 57 Magazine Holster from Spartan Tactical off of fleebay (because the mags for the 5.7 Rock and Ruger 57 are nearly interchangeable) for $20 and change (plus shipping). It arrived yesterday. I thought that I had ordered the flat black but I got the carbon fiber print. Oh well, it should hide well enough. The magazines fit perfectly into it. More info and pics when I do a review thread.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts