Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple of weeks ago i suffered a crushing injury to my dominant right hand that resulted in open fractures to two fingers and soft tissue injury. basically my ring finger was in three pieces and my middle finger broken . in addition , everything but my thumb was pretty well beat to hell. had surgery the following day . in a cast and have pins and wires holding everything together for now. out of work for who knows how long.my first thought when it happened and i realized the extent was, please Lord let me be able to shoot again. crazy huh. but its a huge deal to me , especially in these times to remain proficient. i have always practiced off hand shooting but obviously its not ideal , my trigger finger should be fine . more worried about grip, and having to adjust or relearn . has anyone here been injured in their dominant hand and been able to return to form? at the very least it will be 6 weeks or so before i will know how much it will affect me so i have no idea. Dr cannot say for certain how much use i will have out of my ring finger anyway or how much movement. i do know that it is critical for grip . thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury, that sucks.

Not the same, but I totally mangled my thumb many, many years back.
I did all the required PT -as painful as it was. Can't tell anything happened.
Good luck!

Reactions: Northslope

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
In addition to PT, take any Occupational Therapy they offer as well. OT will help you learn the work arounds based on the injury. Anything that will help maintain or increase your dexterity should become your new routine after the PT/OT ends.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,796 Posts
In addition to PT, take any Occupational Therapy they offer as well. OT will help you learn the work arounds based on the injury. Anything that will help maintain or increase your dexterity should become your new routine after the PT/OT ends.
Ours is in the same place by the same staff even.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Ours is in the same place by the same staff even.
That's usually how it goes. A lot of times the OT people do home visits as well. First they try to get out as close to original as possible, then they teach you how to make due with the way it heals.

I see a lot of finger touches in his future.

·
Premium Member
8,473 Posts
a couple of weeks ago i suffered a crushing injury to my dominant right hand that resulted in open fractures to two fingers and soft tissue injury. basically my ring finger was in three pieces and my middle finger broken . in addition , everything but my thumb was pretty well beat to hell. had surgery the following day . in a cast and have pins and wires holding everything together for now. out of work for who knows how long.my first thought when it happened and i realized the extent was, please Lord let me be able to shoot again. crazy huh. but its a huge deal to me , especially in these times to remain proficient. i have always practiced off hand shooting but obviously its not ideal , my trigger finger should be fine . more worried about grip, and having to adjust or relearn . has anyone here been injured in their dominant hand and been able to return to form? at the very least it will be 6 weeks or so before i will know how much it will affect me so i have no idea. Dr cannot say for certain how much use i will have out of my ring finger anyway or how much movement. i do know that it is critical for grip . thanks
Owitch!

Sharing your mental anguish if not, your pain.
Don't skip any pt they give you.
Much better the pain now than in the years to come.
Get healthy!

eldar

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice and replies . i was told that PT would potentially be painful. i have a pretty high pain threshold i had avoided taking any pain meds until last nite , for some reason it was unbearable. at least i do still have a trigger finger that isnt totally jacked lol.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
thanks for the advice and replies . i was told that PT would potentially be painful. i have a pretty high pain threshold i had avoided taking any pain meds until last nite , for some reason it was unbearable. at least i do still have a trigger finger that isnt totally jacked lol.
Don't push too hard, stay with the regimen they give you, and lean in to it.

·
Premium Member
9,230 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hand. Not being able to shoot is a huge fear of mine, too.

I'll echo Rach's sentiments about physical therapy. I've had my share of mishaps, which required it, and I was fortunate to have some good therapists working with me. Those were big joints--not an entire hand like what happened to you.

But let me tell you something. Sticking with the physical therapy regimens really brought me back on track and set me up to stave off a lot of other longer-term problems I might have otherwise had. If you stick with it, you'll be good to go, too. If you do have some deficits, you'll learn how to adapt.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
I absolutely hated physical therapy, I was really pushed to my limits.
Fortunately I had sage advice to ALL that I was told.
Worked for my thumb, and later on it worked for my leg.

What didn't hurt was that one of my physical therapists was one heckuva hottie.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Heal quickly and I feel for you, I know the pain was awful.

Back in the 70s we had an apprentice machinist helping another machinist move a large steel box on the overhead crane. The box slipped and crushed the poor guys hand between the box and the hook block. I got picked to drive him to the ER. He was in intense agony.

He sat for 4 hours with his hand in a bowl of Betadine (I think) before they took him back to work on him. He showed up at work about a month later with pins sticking out of his fingertips, cleaned out his locker, and never came back.

Good luck on your recovery!

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
I crushed my dominant hand when a steer tire blew on an old class 8 tractor that did not have power steering. Instant lesson on why you do not put your hand inside the steering wheel. Broke bones in all 4 fingers and in my hand itself.

I was in a cast that kept my fingers spread out for about 2 months if memory serves. I honestly dont remember any physical therapy, but I am sure there was some. I just remember the cast and doctor visits.

That was nearly 40 years ago. It's the only injury I think I have ever had that did not come back to haunt me as I aged.

Hope your recovery is as complete as mine.

·
Super Moderator
28,354 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Prayers offered.

That said, it's not all that odd to be worried about a skill that you hold dear, such as shooting. In Teddy Roosevelt's autobiography he tells the story of boxing a young buck who cross-countered him so hard that it left permanent damage to his eye. He wrote that he was thankful it was his left eye, else he wouldn't be able to shoot. So you have something in common with one of the greatest Presidents ever.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I crushed my dominant hand when a steer tire blew on an old class 8 tractor that did not have power steering. Instant lesson on why you do not put your hand inside the steering wheel. Broke bones in all 4 fingers and in my hand itself.

I was in a cast that kept my fingers spread out for about 2 months if memory serves. I honestly dont remember any physical therapy, but I am sure there was some. I just remember the cast and doctor visits.

That was nearly 40 years ago. It's the only injury I think I have ever had that did not come back to haunt me as I aged.

Hope your recovery is as complete as mine.
thats good news to hear ! thank you

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear that man. Prayers offered.

That said, it's not all that odd to be worried about a skill that you hold dear, such as shooting. In Teddy Roosevelt's autobiography he tells the story of boxing a young buck who cross-countered him so hard that it left permanent damage to his eye. He wrote that he was thankful it was his left eye, else he wouldn't be able to shoot. So you have something in common with one of the greatest Presidents ever.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
thank you

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I absolutely hated physical therapy, I was really pushed to my limits.
Fortunately I had sage advice to ALL that I was told.
Worked for my thumb, and later on it worked for my leg.

What didn't hurt was that one of my physical therapists was one heckuva hottie.
you were inspired lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heal quickly and I feel for you, I know the pain was awful.

Back in the 70s we had an apprentice machinist helping another machinist move a large steel box on the overhead crane. The box slipped and crushed the poor guys hand between the box and the hook block. I got picked to drive him to the ER. He was in intense agony.

He sat for 4 hours with his hand in a bowl of Betadine (I think) before they took him back to work on him. He showed up at work about a month later with pins sticking out of his fingertips, cleaned out his locker, and never came back.

Good luck on your recovery!
very similar to what happened to me

1 - 20 of 33 Posts