Shaving

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by greg_r, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:39 AM.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

An odd bit of a way to relax I guess, but I enjoy a good shave.

My daughter's were showing me some kind of fancy aftershave and some fancy razor that I swear had 8 or so blades in it! They are gearing up for Christmas. They say I have an old man smell. They are wanting to modernize me! Get me some really cool shaving stuff.

I like my safety razor. The kind that opens like a butterfly so you can swap out the blades. Barbasol has been my mainstay for shaving cream and aftershave for as long as I can remember. I do like my horsehair shaving brush and shaving mug set and use it from time to time, but the shaving mug soap is getting hard to find unless you order it. If it's a special occasion, a date with SWMBO for example, I break out the English Leather!

There is a soap shop across from my son's Emporium. We visited there. I showed them the folding straight razors they sell. I told them how much I like them. Plus the hand made soaps. "Which ones do you like Pappy?" Whichever has the woodsy smell as long as it has a hint of clove in it.

I think they got the hint. I'm looking forward to opening my gift now!

eldarbeast and Twisty like this.
  2. Twisty

Twisty Simple by choice Supporting Member

English Leather all the rage mid sixties- early seventies. I went back to Old Spice.

I still use a safety razor. Switched to it from the straight razor that I learned to shave on at 18.

shaner and greg_r like this.

3. DEDUBE

DEDUBE Member

I too love a great shave and have a copper wire beard. I've tried all the big company shavers and they all work OK but I purchased a Defender razor that give me the best shave of my life. I use a little shaving lotion for a lubricant.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Old spice is a favorite as well. Original only though. Which is only slightly easier to find than English Leather! I just can not get into all these newfangled scents.

Twisty likes this.
  5. Twisty

Twisty Simple by choice Supporting Member

Ok you did it. Foggy memories becoming clearer.

At around 12 peach fuzz was developing (if you used your imagination). After years of watching my father shave he began the ritual of teaching me to shave. Lathering the soap on the face. Practicing using the unsharpened edge of a table knife. Stropping the razor. Using it on a balloon. Then finally on my face. Sure lots of cuts but it was a great bonding process.

When I started the ritual with my son my wife gave him an electric razor and said " This is easier. Just be done with it."

6. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Greg,
    There is a can of Barbasol on the counter in my bathroom next to a single edge, throw over yer shoulder razor.
    AND reg scent "pit stick" deodorant....some dusty bottled of Brut that Broadway Joe sold to me way back when.....hmmmm...BRUT!

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

ND
  8. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

Nope. We're well seasoned and experienced, ya young whippersnapper!

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

Jovan musk is the correct scent, I use the Equate shaving gels, and I use the safety razor about every 4 or 5 shaves, otherwise it's the quick and easy disposables for me.

duster066 likes this.
  10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Grown men wearing perfume. How cute.

eldarbeast, 2012gt and duster066 like this.
  11. Dane

Dane + unkown number of likes Supporting Member

Fixed it for you. . . . . .

12. I like the [​IMG] A friend was bitching menthol anything wasn't sold at Walmart any more. So..............
    upload_2017-11-14_8-40-54.jpeg

upload_2017-11-14_8-42-3.jpeg

13. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Anyone have that "chalk stick", staunch the bloodbath thingy? My dad seemed to take great joy in applying that to my face...I'm thinking he gave me dinged up blades to learn with.
    Ohhh, the pain! HEHEHEHEHEH!

rowiebowie likes this.
  14. i always enjoyed my local barber giving me a shave , the hot towel and warm shave cream out of his dispenser. the after the shave the talcum powder dusting he would do, .sure miss those , he retired a couple years back , all the other barbers in town wont use razors for anything, sucks

rowiebowie likes this.
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

Styptic pencil. Yep, got them. That or toilet paper does the job. Just don't forget to peel the TP off before you go to work...:confused:

adam01364 likes this.
  16. adam01364

adam01364 Lifetime Supporter

Hell yeah styptic pencil! Early on, my eldest decided to borrow my old fashioned safety razor to shave her legs. Nicked herself good, so, she grabbed my stytic pencil and her "YEEEOW!!" woke up the entire house. Collateral benefit: My shaving gear became sacred (shoulda been in the first place), 'cause nobody dared use it ever again. ;)

ajole likes this.
  17. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I use a safety razor with either Van der Hagen soap or Barbasol Theraputic (toothpaste tube) shaving cream, and follow up with Pinaud Clubman aftershave. Old school, but it works for me.

18. eldarbeast

eldarbeast Supporting Member

Trac-II's are my favourite shave since 1973.
    Tried Atra once - created beautiful swirly cuts all over my face and neck.
    I believe I still have a bottle of Hai Karate' someplace...

eldar

beaglenc and shaner like this.
  19. Tomcat1108

Tomcat1108 Supporting Member

Since I have obtained my DD-214, I have eschewed shaving in favor of facial hair. For the trimming and upkeep, I use the Norelco One Blade. Nifty little device that does it all.