Shell not ejecting JCP 40

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by bluharley, Jul 14, 2014.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

Hi folks, I'm new to Hi-Point. I recently bought a JCP 40SW new. I've had it to the range once and put 100 rounds through it. The only problem I had was it was not ejecting the empty properly. It would load a round, but the empty got trapped by the slide. If I just tipped the gun to the side and eased the slide back a hair, it would drop out and a new round was already in the chamber. Is this common? Will it clear itself up after breaking in? Something I can do? Or ship it back? Thanks!

2. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

That is not common at all
    Is this reloads or new ammo ?
    If new try a different brand
    Frank

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
  4. bluharley

bluharley Member

It was new Winchester 180gr. I hate to have to send it back, by the time I pay transfer fees and shipping, I might as well just buy another gun! Not a bad thing. I have a box of Federal next in line.

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Have someone shoot the weapon and see if it does it for them also. Sounds to me like your grip needs some work. :)

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

Umm, my grip? You mean the way I hold it? Or the grip on the gun? And how would that prevent the shell from completely ejecting?

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Nothing serious, very common occurrence:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limp_wristing

This guy even uses a HP in his video, you can't ask for more !

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKOvCa5KxRQ[/ame]

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Basically, they are trying to say that your problem might be caused by leaving your man hands in your purse instead of taking them to the range.

9. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks! I was wondering what cicup was doing with no txt in his reply! I'm not new to shooting, though it has been some years. But I am new to semi-automatics, I grew up with revolvers. Glad it's not the gun! I'll use my man hands next time.:)

10. SWAGA

No worries, we joke about it a lot no disrespect meant.
    It's a pretty dysfunctional mix here.
    You'll get used to it ;)
    Try a loose grip followed by a firm grip.
    There should be a difference.
    Also try different ammo, you could have had some low power rounds.
    Personally I dislike Federal ammo in my .45 JHP

11. bluharley

bluharley Member

I looked at a shell when I got home with the federal, and the brass is tarnished. I already don't like them, and I haven't even shot one yet. The Winchester is about $1 more, I'll stick with them. Thanks all for the quick replies, glad I found this forum.

12. SWAGA

Well no matter what ammo I use the shells from my JHP come out blackened.
    Reason being it's a blowback action.