Shell Sorter

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by NDS, Apr 28, 2008.

1. I don't currently reload, and I'm not sure this is really worth the price, but you'll probably find it interesting.

http://www.shellsorter.com/index.html

It seems to me there's probably a cheaper do-it-yourself alternative. It'll be interesting to see your comments.

2. For $40.00 +S&H it'd better do more than just sort brass. I need a cure to the common cold or something.

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

heck my tumbler kit cost less than that. seems kinda too gimmicky for me.

SW

4. reluctanthawk

reluctanthawk Member

Iowa
    I cant imagine how hard you have to shake that bucket to get a 9mm out of a .40 case or .380 out of a 9 case.I'm guessing you still end up hand sorting anyway. not worth the $$$.

5. If you have many thousands of rounds to sort out, like a 55gl drum or two, something like this would definitely be worth investing in. Most of us pick up a couple hundred pieces at a time so its hard to justify the expense when working with such small quantities of brass.

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Midwayusa has the same type of thing for $9.95. It looks like a gold pan with holes in the bottom.

7. wd6bgn

wd6bgn Guest

I look at each case before I put it in the press. I have several buckets, so sometimes the .40 get mixed with the 9mm and a .380 will sneek in from time to time. But you should check your casses anyway to see if they are cracked, or stepped on or something bad.
    But yes, if I was cleaning up on a big range, something like that would be nice, but I bet it won't sort 9mm, .380 and 9X18. heh heh.

8. After 5 or 6 beers thay all look the same anyway.

9. I bet you could grab a kids sand sifter to at least get the media out of the cases...

10. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

before i had a media seperator i used a kitchen strainer i bought at alco to sperate media. Worked just as good as the boughten one but took longer.

SW