Shipping a gun.$$$

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by ItBeMe, Feb 5, 2015.

1. ItBeMe

ItBeMe Member

I had a semiautomatic pistol that I had to send back to the factory. So I took it to UPS and it cost $44.43 to send it. Is there a cheaper way to send a gun.:confused:

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yea. Don't tell the thieves at UPS it's a gun.

3. Last time I had a gun shipped it was 19 dollars, through my LGS.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I use my LGS also if needed

5. I use my LGS as well; if your LGS will work with you it will cost you very little.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Like cicpup says, don't tell 'em. UPS has a policy of requiring guns to be shipped over-night and with special tracking. They claim this is because some employees were stealing guns which were shipped Ground.

So package it up before hand. When they ask you the contents, be creative. You used to be able to say, "machine parts" but now I wonder if the thieves have caught on to that euphemism.

Here's a good suggestion. Label it something disgusting that no one wants but seems innocuous. I'm currently leaning toward "Veterinary Urine Samples." Ain't NO ONE gonna be opening that up to steal it!

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. ItBeMe

ItBeMe Member

Ok I am dumb, what is a LGS. :confused:

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Local Gun Shop

:)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Or maybe "Free Dried Veterinary Sperm Samples." :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Work boots and gloves may work also.....

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    When I shipped my Henry for repairs, they paid the postage to and from the Co. All I had to do was go to the UPS website and print out the shipping label and put in on the box. The address on the label was to the service manager. There was no reference to Henry.

12. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    Not putting the name of the company on the box is standard procedure with high value items. I worked doing shipping and receiving at a high end watch and jewelry store a few years ago. I can tell you for a fact that Rolex watch company will refuse any package that says Rolex on the outside of the box.

13. ItBeMe

ItBeMe Member

Thanks for the info guys. Now I will know if I ever have to ship again. :)

14. mitchr

mitchr Member

One caution. The federal law does not say you must ship overnight, but the BAFT regs say you must inform the carrier it is a firearm. I'll leave it to you about the consequences if, for what ever reason, it becomes known that it is a firearm, or worse yet, gets lost.

As for not telling them (lying about it) ask for a shipping label on-line & you don't have to say anything about what it is. If I remember correctly, it doesn't even ask you for that info. You decide if you want to risk it at ground rate or ship overnight. Pack it up, print out the shipping label & take it to any UPS service store. (The service store can't take it if you label it a firearm, it must go to the official UPS station.)

15. cc-hangfire

cc-hangfire Member

The OP and the replies all relate to a pistol/handgun, and IIRC all are spot on for private individuals. FFL's can ship handguns by USPS which is why your LGS could be cheaper.

Long guns can be shipped USPS, with all other laws bring met (ie: going to an FFL licensee of some kind or to yourself if traveling, etc)

16. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I would be all for this if they didn't use it as an excuse to stick it up your ass.

17. When the government gets involved that is what usually happens. What was it that Reagan said? The scariest words a person can here is I'm from the government and I am here to screw you.

18. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    You can actually mail it though the post office as parts.. I'm not saying thats the right way.. But it's been done..

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Unless you're an FFL it's illegal to use USPS to mail the serialized frame.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

What kirk said. You can not ship a handgun by USPS unless you have a FFL period. Felony if caught. Not worth the $45 to loose all your guns.