Shipping Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by planosteve, Dec 22, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Just a heads up for those of you that might want to ship ammunition.

UPS Ground will take ammo shipments to the continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii are out of luck but they have an alternate mode of shipment. You do need to package the ammo according to the instructions on their website and attach the correct stickers. Below is a link.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/packaging/guidelines/ammunition.html

Fedex, is pretty much a forget about it. Their website sucks a big one and does not give out any useful information as far as ammo shipping. Here is what I know to be true after talking to several managers at Fedex. Fedex ground does not take ammunition for shipment. If you want to ship using Fedex you must ship by air and pay a $65 hazmat fee on top of the shipping charges.

Hope that helps.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    This is what I did. $18.11 UPS Ground to Buckeye Dave,
    and I'm on the far side of Indiana. It turned out to be
    1,000 rounds of 22lr, 500 bulk pack and 500 in 50 x 10 boxes.
    Fit in an old Amazon Box, perfectly, with 2 wads of filler paper.

Didn't want to upstage first prize, figured 1,000 was fair
    compared to the top prize of 1300? :D ;)
    Wait until next year! :D

3. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

The ORM-D sticker has been required by UPS for years now. I get one from the UPS Terminal each time I ship some ammo. Rates are just normal. Online suppliers have to use it also.

But, more and more ammo I buy is coming to me by Fed Ex and at about 1/2 the UPS rates. Have not figured out just why yet. I can only assume Fed is cutting some rates for some of the online sellers.

Plus, my ammo via Fed has the second sticker that UPS shows on the outside of every box. Has been for several years.

I don't see any change in the rules. But if you try to ship ammo without one of those two stickers/emblems, it will cost you if they know what is inside.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Doesn't have to be a sticker anymore. You can print an ORM-D label and tape it on with clear tape.

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    I'm just glad it was not more.

I also know now that a 500 rd "brick" is right at 4# :D

6. planosteve

The manager at FedEx told me that some companies have contracts with them (I asked as I had received ammo by FedEx ground) but for your average Joe or Jane it is a no go as far as ground shipping goes.

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

They are jerking your chain... FedEx shippers like the mailbox rental places won't do it but FedEx proper will. It's stated in their own shipping rules in section F:

1. Firearms
      1. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
        1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
        2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
      2. Carrier cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
      3. Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm.
      4. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
      5. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
      6. Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

8. planosteve

I was at the FedEx service center, not a storefront. The place where the big trucks come in they put it on a little truck and then take it out and deliver it. I told several of the supervisors and managers that their website stated that they shipped it they stated that FedEx Ground no longer accepts ammunition shipments from individuals. I know what their websites says and the employees stated the website was incorrect. So my philosophy is to hell with them I'll just send it ups they don't want my business I won't give it to them

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Time to call corporate and tell them that they just helped you choose their competition.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    8.2# with UPS was $18.11 for 390+ miles, I'm sure a bigger package
    would not be a bad deal. In other words, I doubt that 20# is $40, same
    distance. I've shipped literally tons of goods w/UPS and USPS, but first
    time for ammo. Just getting started is the expensive part, but usually
    more weight and longer distance is disproportionately cheaper.

11. planosteve

Call FedEx last night and talked to one of their hazardous material reps and here is what I found out.

FedEx will ship ammunition and other hazardous materials, but only from DOT (US) certified shippers. In other words unless you are registered and certified by USDOT FedEx will not accept your shipment. Also FedEx must pick it up at your place of business, you can not drop it off.

They used to accept ammo from private parties but quit last year. The DOT requirements are in their guidelines but you have to dig for it.