Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
man that looks bad . none of my guns look like that so i guess i ain't useing corosive ammo.all i shoot is surplus but it says none corrosive .you should make this a sticky.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
i shoot surplus 762x39 and 5.56. now i do clean the crap out of my guns after each shooting but i never ues water or soap i use hopps and powder blast then i oil them up really good. if i see any kinda gunk on it i break out the brass tooth brush. the ammo is mainly wolf i did have some brass cased 5.56 that i got at a gun show but it was in a big bag with 700 rounds in each bag i was told it was surplus ammo . and am out of that one and right now i just have a few cases of wolfblack box/brown bear/silver bear.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
good to know that about the wolf ammo and the 5.56 maybe thats why i never had any problems with corrosion

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I shoot corrsive. I just make sure to clean it with windex and bore cleaner really good. The ammonia in the windex neutralizes the salts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I shoot corrsive. I just make sure to clean it with windex and bore cleaner really good. The ammonia in the windex neutralizes the salts.
Actually no, its the water in the Windex. But as long as you are using something water based, you should be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually no, its the water in the Windex. But as long as you are using something water based, you should be fine.
i have read reports where some folks use balistol? instead of water and it works fine. Me, i use windex, dry it then WD40 at the range, then regular celaning at home.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Man, am I glad I live in a dry state. Colorado has nice low humidity, and even when the humidity is "high" it's still low due to the thinner air. Less air means less water vapor!!! WOO HOO!!! I still clean as soon as I can, but sometimes I have to wait a day or three. Haven't seen any corrosion whatsoever on any of my bolts, pins, springs, chambers, or bores.
When I do clean, I use Hoppes, and Breakfree CLP.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
i shoot the green spam can ammo in my m44, and as soon as i get home, we have an electric tea kettle type thing, heats water to hard boil pretty quick, i dump a whole thing of boiling water down her gullet and by the time i get back inside to the table its dry, then i go to work with hoppes and patches... finish it off with either machine oil or gun oil, which ever i have handy, and so far no problems.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I read this a while back right after I joined the forum, but I was so busy running through as many threads as I could I never responded. I am glad this forum has Krippp here you have given more info on c&w's that its hard to absorb it all. i have to keep coming back for more! Thanks for the info. :yay!:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow. Thank you for the pics. My Mosin likes old surplus ammo the best, and I've always cleaned it pretty soon after coming home, but those pics will ensure I'll NEVER be lazy about it. Did the bolts clean up, or did you replace with new parts like you said?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is no joke or old wives tale, Surplus ammo with corrosive primers WILL destroy your firearms if not properly neutralized.
I can not imagine why anyone would think it was a wives tale. The corrosion is caused by KCl or potassium chloride salts that come from the potassium chlorate explosive used in the primer. Current russian ammo is ok, but ammo from 10 years ago is not. Surplus combloc ammo is corrosive in most cases. It shoots very well, just clean your gun.

I have always taken corrosive ammo seriously. I used to fire WWII 30-06 ammo. In those days I oiled the gun at the range and when I got home cleaned with hot soapy water and poured boiling water down the barrel. The hot water causes the barrel to dry very quickly. Then next was GI bore cleaner and then I oiled the barrel.
Now days at the range immediately after shooting I put windex down the barrel. Then bore cleaner and oil. Then when I get home I clean again. I have a mint mosin 91 and a mint yugo mauser and I do not want them spoiled. Never had any rust on any gun so treated. My AK is chromium plated, but I still clean at the range. The gas tube can also rust.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
HI, ALL,
MY DRILL ON USING CORROSIVE PRIMED AMMO, IS TO MIX UP A COUPLE PLASTIC SCREW CAP BOTTLES OF WATER WITH A LITTLE DISH SOAP IN IT, AND BRING THEM TO THE RANGE WITH ME. WHEN DONE SHOOTING, I STICK A PLASTIC FUNNEL INTO THE BREECH, AND POUR THE WATER SLOWLY OUT THRU THE BORE, THEN RUN A CLEANING ROD WITH DRY PATCH THRU THE BORE TO DRY IT. THIS KEEPS UNTIL I CAN GET THEM HOME TO DO A THOROUGH CLEANING WITH HOPPE'S #9.
APPARENTLY THE REASON WHY THE RUSSIANS USED CORROSIVE PRIMING FOR SO LONG, IS BECAUSE THEY FOUND THAT IN EXTREMELY COLD CLIMATES, THE MERCURIC PRIMERS ALWAYS GAVE RELAIBLE IGNITION, WHERE THE NEWER NON CORROSIVE TYPES, DID NOT!
CHEERS,
FRED (HONCHO)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts