Shoot It Or Store It?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by gaowlpoop, Mar 3, 2008.

1. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop Guest

I have been stockpiling ammunition for a while now. Partly because of the price increases of ammo and components, partly because I fear that the Democrats are going to take control of the Federal government come January 2009 and when they do they are just going to go crazy with all their pent up frustrations for the last 8 years.

My question is, should I continue to shoot and continue to purchase ammo and components or should I just stock up as much as possible and stop shooting?

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

Stockpiling out of fear isn't a great idea. Yes, ammo is becoming expensive but there are options to increase your loads. Also, it's WAY too early to be resorting to hoarding since the mass effect would also drive costs up. It's a delicate balance in order to keep both the ammo market and prices on an even keel.

On a seperate issue, buying large amounts of ammo could also be a potential issue for the private citizen. If there is a low to no ratio of bulk ammo purchases to a sudden spike of thousands to even tens of thousands, this could be a potential red flag to credit card companies and also if there is a seperate legal issue unrelated to firearms in general. The best option (and the one I apply to), is to consistently buy regular amounts every paycheck. I ususally purchase 300 to 500 round a paycheck. This way I have a decent cache and have plenty to fire on the weekends without looking too out of place.

Or, take up reloading :) I have yet to do so...but it's only due to lack of funds.

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

i stock pile about half of what i buy or load. i shoot the other half. all of life is about balance. keep the faith grasshopper.

SW

4. I maintain a stockpile and buy more when I want to shoot. I have certain minimums that I won't go below. For example, my 2 8mm Yugos, I have an unopened spam can of 380 rounds that I will probably never open and another ammo can with 300 rounds on stripper clips in reserve as well. For shooting, I have a seperate can with loose ammo in it that I take to the range. Whenever I find more for a decent price at the gun show, I usually put them in the loose can. That's what me and Primal were shooting out of at the range.

5. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

make sure you rotate your stock as well.

6. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Shoot the stuff and stockpile!

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

+1. He says stuff alot more simple than I do.

8. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

you wouldn't be neo if you weren't verbose...lol jk

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

yeah....You're right :wink:

10. Ridge

Ridge Member

Bingo...as it gets old, its less reliable to fire...

11. Hey, my 30-40 year old surplus stuff shoots just fine, so how often do you guys recommend a rotation?? No, really, it's probably a good idea and I do it anyway. Anyone know where I can "rotate" my milsurp for new stuff even steven???? :wink:

12. Can we ever have enough ammo? For me, it's a constant staple purchase like milk or bread... Gotta keep going to the range and rotating it, right? :)

13. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

Hey we shot 1970's vintage 5.56mm in basic training, shot just fine :p

But I agree, store and shoot.

If you only store you don't keep up your marksmanship if you only shoot you will risk running out of ammo completely.

Personally I keep atleast 2 magazines worth of ammuniton.

14. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

200 rounds + 2 mags (14) + 1 round in the chamber = 215 rounds of .380
    170 rounds + 1 mag (8) + 1 round in the chamber = 179 rounds of .45ACP
    100 rounds + 1 mag + 1 round in the chamber = 108 rounds of 12 ga

15. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

But is it a BAD idea? If so, how?

Such as?

So you recommend he waits until EVERYBODY starts hoarding, and the ammo is virtually impossible to come by? It's ALWAYS too early, until it's too late.

Nope, buy what you can, when you can. Let the market do what it may, but get it while you can!

Nope, this is still America. Give the Dems control for a few years, and they may change that for us, but for now, it's not illegal to buy ammo. Buy what you want.

A red flag for credit card companies? What authority do the credit card companies have over your purchases? Absolutely zero. If they don't want to you purchase it with their card, then get another card. It's none of their damn business.

Shoulda guessed, of course your option is the "best option (and the one you stick to)".

Yes, yes, we mustn't arouse suspicion, or the gestapo might come a-looking! Like I said, give the Dems a few years, and maybe so, but for now, this sounds like a bunch of fear-mongering.

I was in the same boat as you. I told myself I couldn't afford it, until I finally just decided to take the plunge. Spent about $160 on a turret press and 9mm dies.

Buying over-priced bullets, I can still load for about 11.5 cents per round. If I start buying them from another supplier I found (2 hour drive to pick 'em up, so it's gonna be a rather large order), I'll be able to load for 7 cents, and if I cast my own, 3.9 cents -- INCREDIBLE!

My .40 S&W dies ($30) paid for themselves in the first 150 rounds!

Now I don't know how I could ever afford NOT to reload.

Take it from me, take one of your paychecks, and instead of buying the normal 300-500 rounds this time around, spend it on a press and some dies. You won't regret it!

Components are easier and better to stockpile anyway, because you can save them and load up whatever happens to be in short supply. Less diversification is necessary that way. Just be careful about how you store powder, and keep your primers dry!

16. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

long term ammo storage isn't likely to be a major issue so long as you control moisture and temperature. Extremes of either can cause issues.

Cool and dry will allow modern ammo to last until the powder breaks down, which I believe takes a bit longer with modern formulations (I'd have to confirm specifics).

That said, it's always a good idea to rotate stocks of ANY items you store, be it food or ammo.

If you know it will be a LONG time before it will be used (i.e. years), treat it just like you would food...store in air tight container with Silica moisture absorbers, in a cool location...

17. I believe in having enough stockpiled for any scenario that you may be concerned about.

I have a friend that has a couple of clips worth of 9mm and 200 rds of 7.62x39 and thinks that is plenty because he feels that he will always be able to go to the store and buy more.

I don't agree with his outlook, but its his decision to do with as he pleases

18. Yup. I have 500-1000 rounds at any given time.