Shooting a Mosin for the first time today

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Feb 7, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Heading out to our friend's in NY later.

Just learned last week he has a Mosin and a whole can of ammo. he hasn't shot it yet either, so I'm heading out to play today :D

I'll also be taking the Rascal so my daughter can do some shooting.

Don't know what else we'll be shooting, but I know it will be a lot.

He also has an older .40, I think it's the JC??? smooth slide, fixed sights, but it's not the flat grip. He thinks the trigger pull is too heavy or stiff or something and wants me to check that out.

He also has a nice Savage in .17 that I am hoping to shoot. It's this one

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-M93-Rifle-with-AccuTrigger/product/10218369/

Only down side will be that I know I am going to want that .17 and a Mosin even more than I already do LOL

Plenty of pics to come later

2. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Take a pillow for your shoulder. Those Mosins really kick !!!

3. And a hammer for the bolt if he hasn't gotten to cosmo out of it ;-)

4. You will love the Mosin. I have twins Mosins, Nikita and Natasha and they love to go BOOOM!

Make sure you clean it immediately after shooting, the surplus ammo is corrosive.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    As you use that surplus ammo, you may find that it fouls the bore fast enough to affect accuracy in about 5-10 rounds. I typically punch the bore at that interval so that the groups Will stay under control.

After shooting, I also run a patch with ammonia down the bore to neutralize the salts and pour some on the bolt face to get it inside the firing pin hole. That'll help keep the salts from absorbing the moisture and promoting corrosion while you head back from the range. Make sure you take the bolt apart and clean inside of it, too, using the index marks and calibration tool to make sure that your firing pin is reinstalled at the right depth.

With regards to the recoil from the steel butt plate, proper positioning to keep it in the pocket of your shoulder and away from uncushioned bone, will let you got through 80-100 rounds without any bruises.

6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

have fun i know you have been looking forward to this for a while.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Either an Iberia 40 or an early JC.

Only the Maverick & first gen Stallard 9mm had flat grips.

Remove the slide & the right grip and check if the components are dirty or rusted. Make sure the sear and sear cam move freely. Especially check if the sear spring is all gummed up. Clean it up, sand off any rust with very fine sandpaper & oil the piss out of it. Reassemble and shoot it all day long.

8. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

It's the Iberia. I remembered that after posting.

I am prepared (I think) for the kick of the Mosin. Good to know about cleaning it.

Thanks for the heads up on the .40

I think it's just heavier than he's used to. He's a rifle and airgun guy.

9. cicpup

Vermont
    If it's real bad, my money's on a gummed up sear/sear spring.

10. cicpup

Vermont
    Well it sure looks clean, but two rounds in and my t-53 bolt locks right up. Suggestions?

11. eet

eet Member

Look at the spent cases, check them for any marks. My t53 had a slight burr on the chamber and when fired the case would hang up on the burr. Steels made this seem worse than brass.

My understanding is that the bolts on the t53s were cycled many more times than fired and most of the time this was done without a round in the chamber. The extractor would hit the edge of the chamber and bend it in a bit and create a slight burr.

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Take a look in the recesses for the bolt lugs for pitting. That can make things lock up like that. Also, check the channels on the bolt where it gets engaged to cock the hammer when you rotate the bolt handle. That is another area that can be rough.

In each case, some careful use of very fine emery paper can smooth things out.

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Use a 20 gauge bronze brush on a section of cleaning rod and chuck it into a cordless drill; then use either boiling water, mineral spirits or carb cleaner (I use carb cleaner) along with the brush to make sure all the old cosmo is removed. Take apart the bolt and boil it to remove any embedded cosmoline, then polish it with Mothers polish. Take a .22 bronze cleaning brush, bend a 90 degree bend in it and use it to scrub inside the chamber where the locking lugs run, there is typically some dried cosmoline that gets overlooked in there that will heat up and make things sticky. It's tough to get these old rifles 100% clean, most problems can be traced back to cosmoline residue. Also, did you check the headspace? Too little headspace can be a factor in difficult extractions as well.

If you do, or have done, all of the above and it is still giving you problems.... send it to Moon or I and we will dispose of it for you. :p

NOTICE AND WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances put cosmoline covered parts into your kitchen stove to heat them to remove the cosmoline. Your wife will make your life miserable and never let you live down the fact that the cosmoline you let drip onto the bottom of the stove, and failed to clean up, made the meatloaf she cooked for dinner when you had company over taste like crap.

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Have fun tall.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    Oh I only fire it outdoors so I have plenty of head space. Actually, I have no idea WTF you're talking about.

Saving all suggestions and will mess with it later. Sadly can't test fire it till Spring. Unable to just blow these beasts off in the back yard.

No problem. You just pay the $230 S&H.

16. moona11

Quit being a wimp and pull the bolt back.:p :p .

17. cicpup

Vermont
    It's not pulling back that's the issue. It'll lift up about 1/4th the way and stop. Then I have to slam it with the heal of my hand to get it to go the rest of the way. Once had to actually kick it. When it's stone cold it works fine.

18. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

In Russia.. bolt opens you!

19. moona11

Any mark on the case. Is the firing pin in the right height. Bad ejector may be it pushing out after you fire? Try pushing forward and up does that help

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member