Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so the time has come to shoot the c9 finally. This gun is brand new. should i do anything to it before i shoot, (i.e. disassemble, clean, lube). or should i just go put some range ammo through it and not worry about anything. since i'm a newb i really don't know what to do. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
First thing everyone always says is to leave your mags loaded before you go shooting and (always) thereafter.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
+1 to what he said. Load the mags as far ahead of time as you can. I didn't clean mine before hand just did a good check to make sure there was no foreign objects hidden anywhere.

2 most important things to do would be to have a good firm grip and don't "limp wrist" as many folks report that causes jams. Second would be to slap the back of the loaded mag against your palm or thigh to seat the bullets fully to the rear of the magazine. Both my C9 and JHP shot flawlessly right out of the box and continue to do so. I'm going tomorrow to feed each one a couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, so the time has come to shoot the c9 finally. This gun is brand new. should i do anything to it before i shoot, (i.e. disassemble, clean, lube). or should i just go put some range ammo through it and not worry about anything. since i'm a newb i really don't know what to do. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi points are hit and miss when it comes to the breaking in period. I had one that was prone to going nose up and another that only had issues with JHPs getting stuck on the feed ramp. If you had no problems do nothing. If you had any issues, disassemble the gun. Clean it. Polish the feed ramp (JHPs tend to stop half way up the ramp as the ridge digs into the powder coat left on the ramp), lube up all moving parts and re-assemble. Then cycle the same box of ammo through the gun about 10 times. Rack the slide backwards AND forwards (don't pull the slide back and let go - this causes a lot of nose up jams) when you are doing it and obviously keep your finger off the trigger and the gun in a safe direction. This will save you the hassle of dealing with jams while breaking in the gun. By this time any minute flashings or defects should have been polished off. Past that if you have problems, I would ignore any magazine mods and consult Hi-Point directly.

My opinion on the mag mods I've seen here is that the mag is being altered to compensate for an issue with the gun. I've used new mags (10's and 8's from different vendors) loaded to capacity (JHP/FMJ in 115, 124, and 147 - PMC, Blazer, Winchester), deliberately not seated the cartridges all the way / pushed the nose down in the magazine and every other "problem" I've seen on this forum, and haven't had a single jam because of it. The only jams I've seen were from limp wristing (my wife) and JHPs on an unpolished feed ramp. A mag is a mag is a mag - until you alter it. Then it is a defect mated to another defect (the gun) and won't work with a non defective gun nor will any other mag work unless also modified. If every mag needed a slight adjustment from the way every mag is manufactured, Hi point would have started doing it themselves by now.

The only other tip I've noticed is the 124 and 147 grain standard pressure rounds (not +P) are more sensitive to limp wristing than 115s.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, before you shoot it, you should have your loocal parishner bless it and say 3 hail mary's so as to welcome it into the shooting world!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.