shooting high off bipod

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by BravoWhiskey, Dec 29, 2014.

1. BravoWhiskey

BravoWhiskey Member

I installed side rail bi-pods on my 995ts with a Kruger 1.5-5 scope.I have also installed aluminum top and bottom rails. When i went to sight in the scope it was dead on off the bench using the bi-pod. Then i stood up and fired a few rounds standing and it was 6" low. Has any one had this problem with bi-pods pushing up on the barrel? I removed the bi-pod and placed a sand bag in front of the trigger where my hand would be for standing and set the zero and no problem then.

2. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I do not think you have a problem. You do not get a heavy target barrel with a $250 semi auto rifle. When you were messing around the barrel cooled and returned to the normal point of impact. I check to see that the stock was installed properly for good measure. If I found nothing wrong I would write it off as having to much fun.

When you stood up to start shooting were you shooting at a longer distance than when you were using the bipod?

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I have heard of this happening to SU-16s when people use the built-in handguard bipods. My guess is that what causes that to happen with SU-16s also causes it to happen with your 995ts.

I don't use the bipods on my SU-16 for that very reason.

4. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Are you loading the bipod prior to squeezing the trigger also is the bipod mounted so legs fold forward ??

5. NO mine shoot's same with or without bi pod

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If you then put it back on the bench and use the bipod is it still hitting the same POI?
    If it is, then it is either you doing it or the barrel harmonics being changed by having to support the weight of the bipod, when it is on the bench the bipod supports its own weight.

7. BravoWhiskey

BravoWhiskey Member

Johnny B , flash bang,USC vet
    When I first got this scope it was a catalever type mount and with it being forwards on the comosite rail I thought there might be flex. So I ordered aluminum top rail. Back to the range and same effect. All of the shooting was at 25 yds and 30sec between each shot. I'll try to post a pic. If I fold up the fore grip and place a sand bag under that part of the carbine then it stayed zero in all postion except when shooting from the bipod again. This time it was 6" high. It's like there is upward pressure against the barrel. Also the legs fold back. And the only time the legs are / were going to be on the weapon was at the range. Any other time I was not going to have them installed. My eyes are not as good as they used to be or I would have just kept the co witnessed red dot on. If you look the scope mount is kinda far forward on the rail so any flex would make a difference. .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Mount your bipod to the bottom rail and sight it in while using the bipod. The legs should fold forward not back, this gets them out of the way when you want to use the hand grip. Keep the bipod back a little from the very end of the rail and move your grip back a little as well. Look at the pictures here:

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f274/suppressing-995ts-312293/

I use the stock rails and have no issues.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Unless you have a BAR, an M60, an SU-16, an L86, or any of the other many guns that fold back.

But on the HP, it's a good idea to fold forward.;)

10. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Loading the bipod means pushing forward on the rifle to put/add weight and this will keep the rifle from jumping forward/up especially the barrel . This is a common practice for military snipers to get better control over their rifle and to eliminate barrel rise/flip . Also mounting the bipod so legs fold forward also aids in better control of the rifle

11. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

You have to load the bipod and I sight my rifles in at 70/80 yards. If you sight it in at 25 yards it will shoot high at 50 yards. By sighting in at 70 yards the rifle will shoot flat to 75 yards. After 75 yards the 9mm starts dropping like a rock. The 9mm cartridge has a trajectory similar to a 22LR. Once you get used to the 9mm it has a range of about 200 yards.

The hollow points loaded in once fired brass are worth the extra dollar a box. They shoot better than any brand of ball ammunition at any price. I bought a 1,000 rounds of new ball ammunition from Freedom Munitions for $200 delivered to my door. The HP ammo would run $220 for 1000 rounds. The ball ammo shoots great from a pistol but it leaves a lot to be desired from a carbine. You get free shipping with your first order. They run free shipping sales for orders of $200 and up every couple months. Free shipping is a plus on large quantities of ammo. 1,000 rounds of 9mm weighs 30 lb.

We go through a lot of ammo. My wife shoots with a group of ladies twice a month. She shoots 100 rounds of 9mm when the ladies meet. I shoot IDPA matches. I shoot 80 to 100 rounds per match. So you can see why I want 1,000 rounds of ammo at the time.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  12. BravoWhiskey

BravoWhiskey Member

Flash bang
    You've got a nice setup. That would work if the rail under the barrel would support my tl4 w/lazer with out moving. That is the reason for going aluminum on the bottom rail.
    Usmc vet
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about barrel flip on the long barrel. I just thought it was a problem with short barrel guns.
    Jonny b
    Thanks for the heads up I'll try to load up on ammo and the bipod :) I hope everyone has a great new year!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014